test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Obsolete Ships

cruisin1500cruisin1500 Member Posts: 81 Arc User
I was wondering if the designers planned to go back and bring obsolete ships in line so that they become worthwhile again...

Let me explain, some people might fly a particular VA ship because it looks nice, and they like it. Which is fine I do that, but in the end 'game' wise we're 'gimped' because there is another ship which can perform that role better.

As they release more and more ships 90% of ships become obsolete, especially the original tier 5 ships. Even the 'retrofits'.

A player might like a specific cruiser, it's a tier 5 ship, but the 'goto' ship in that role is X ship. So everyone uses that, therefore that said cruiser no longer has a place in the game.

I'd like to see a system for the next tier which doesn't make it a progression but makes it versatile, highly specialized something like what eve did with tech3 ships. They realized that by constantly going up and up and up to tech 10, everything else would be obsolete, so they made a lateral approach to ship design.

/wouldberant...
environmental suit activated

Comments

• maiewskimaiewski Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I think the best you're going to see is the Fleet Retrofits. That's your "Advanced lower-level ships".
    DarthGM, GM Phil, Admiral Kavalon, et al

Currently cruising the Pi Canis Sector Block...
  • castsbugccastsbugc Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I think what they are getting at is 'buff the older ships so they dont seem weaker than the new things'
    I seem to recall at one point Geko talked about power creep and older ships, though to be honest I dont actually recall what he said, or if it was a P1 interview or a STOked one. All I do recall is that its something they have kept in mind, but as we have seen they havent made any real changes so far to address it.
  • azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I wish every T5 ship did something unique without resorting to a console. The use of consoles for special ship powers not only takes a console slot away from other uses, it allows people to mix and match ship powers that would be better if unique to their native class. They should just build the powers into the ship instead-save the console slot for something else, and make each ship special.