test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Space Weapon Type

captweaverscaptweavers Member Posts: 44 Arc User
edited January 2014 in PvP Gameplay
Hey guys,
whats the best weapon type in pvp right now? or is there one that's being used more than another??
There is so much to choose from and with the new voth tac consoles its a difficult choice :confused:
Post edited by captweavers on

Comments

• antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Yep when it comes down to it a purple mk xii is a purple mk xii... the base dmg never ever changes.

So decide what proc best suits what you are trying to do... and as has been said realize that the best options for pure dmg are in general the most resisted dmg types.

For mods....

[acc] is the most universally looked for... which is why [acc]x3 is pretty much always the most expensive.

[crth] is great for feds and roms... [crtd] is favored by many romulans that are packing rom boffs. [dmg] is in general seen as the weakest option.

As far as procs... consider what weapons you are using for what. Lockbox weapons often have 2 mods instead of 3 in trade for a second proc, They will however do slighly less base dmg and, of course be missing one mod. If your going to be running cannons for instance turrets are a great place to put dual proc lockbox weapons.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    protonic poloron is about to become the best proboly. every crit actually having a 25% chance of applying extra hull damage, with no lockout. it was buged to only proc on the first hit before, i dont think the fix went live yet.
  • dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    protonic poloron is about to become the best proboly. every crit actually having a 25% chance of applying extra hull damage, with no lockout. it was buged to only proc on the first hit before, i dont think the fix went live yet.

Damn you, this is what I was gonna say...gonna pretend you weren't first...

I am and have always been a PvE'er that's brings gear into pvp matches so that I could stand a chance against the people that are rocks compared to my scissors that said...i base my options for pvp based on what seems great but ultimately may fail.

So this is how I see it...

Disruptors do a weak debuff to the hull,but your team capitalizes on it
    Nanite disruptors debuff hull and shield bleedthrough, again your team capitalizes
    Elite Fleet disruptor causes bonus damage to shields...another team capitalizing affect

A mixture if the three sounds almost insane,but I would atleast try it. A mixture of nanite / regular disruptor sounds much more potent

Polaron seems fantastic... a -X number across the board for less shield resistance, weapon strength, speed, heals. no idea how much power insulators protects you from it though.

Protonic polaron...the proc of polaron with a 1/4 chance on crit to hit the hull (after the supposed fix goes live)for a really wimpy hit.
    The questions are, can this proton proc crit itself? If so, can this crit trigger another proc?
    Will bfaw get fixed to actually take advantage of photonic weaponry?

Plasma is out since everything has so much plasma resist nowadays

Phasers are unreliable for what you want to happen

Antiproton is decent in that its proc is based on your crit chance, bfaw suffers from not critting so not the best option atm

Tetryon...i have no idea how this one applies to pvp...proc may be unnoticeable

I have not heard much about voth antiproton. Haven't tried them either as I'm they are pointless in pve
    I think that's it.

So a mix of disruptor sounds decent. Polaron sounds unique and useful. Photonic polaron remains to be seen. In my many years of gaming a proc off a proc had better been amazing/gamebreaking or happen alot. Otherwise they are TRIBBLE.

25% crit chance to proc on another 25% for a hill hit equivalent of a turret hit doesn't sound all too good. Atm people see it and are extremely disappointed in the procing. Would multiplying the amount your seeing it by 4ish times make it impressive? I say no
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • stobastiatstobastiat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I've been wondering about this as well, and with current prices + my finances, I need to buy once and be done with it, rather than experiment with various options. That said, I have a few questions:

1) Does the Elachi weapon proc only work on one single hit from one single weapon? Or does it affect every shot in a cannon volley/pulse in a beam array? I'm betting on the former.

2) The proc from Nanite Disruptors stacks with regular Disruptors, right? Have been considering mixing these two types together.

3) What's the skinny on Tetryon procs? It seems like most people really bash 'em (and I admit that the shield damage looks a little weak for being something that appears to happen quasi-rarely). Is the damage/drain modified by anything? As a sidenote; any opinions on the Nukara sets for PvP if you're using Tetryon weapons? I don't really see them mentioned much so I'm guessing that they're overshadowed by others, though "Refracting Assault" might make for some nice Beam Overloads as long as the range isn't too short.

4) Is it often that Phasers (or Phased such-and-such hybrids) get the full 5 seconds out of a proc in PvP? I've seen mention that Human boffs make Phasers "useless" a lot of the time. Then again, I've been around enough PvP in other games to know that hyperbole is rarely in short supply ;)

Basically, I can't decide between Phased Tetryon (but I'd probably stick with Mk XI there...holy TRIBBLE @ the Mk XII prices), Phased Polaron, or Nanite + Polarized Disruptors (maybe some Elachi mixed in too?).
    edited January 2014
    stobastiat wrote: »
    I've been wondering about this as well, and with current prices + my finances, I need to buy once and be done with it, rather than experiment with various options. That said, I have a few questions:

1) Does the Elachi weapon proc only work on one single hit from one single weapon? Or does it affect every shot in a cannon volley/pulse in a beam array? I'm betting on the former.

2) The proc from Nanite Disruptors stacks with regular Disruptors, right? Have been considering mixing these two types together.

3) What's the skinny on Tetryon procs? It seems like most people really bash 'em (and I admit that the shield damage looks a little weak for being something that appears to happen quasi-rarely). Is the damage/drain modified by anything? As a sidenote; any opinions on the Nukara sets for PvP if you're using Tetryon weapons? I don't really see them mentioned much so I'm guessing that they're overshadowed by others, though "Refracting Assault" might make for some nice Beam Overloads as long as the range isn't too short.

4) Is it often that Phasers (or Phased such-and-such hybrids) get the full 5 seconds out of a proc in PvP? I've seen mention that Human boffs make Phasers "useless" a lot of the time. Then again, I've been around enough PvP in other games to know that hyperbole is rarely in short supply ;)

Basically, I can't decide between Phased Tetryon (but I'd probably stick with Mk XI there...holy TRIBBLE @ the Mk XII prices), Phased Polaron, or Nanite + Polarized Disruptors (maybe some Elachi mixed in too?).

On your finances... buy cheap mk xi and perhaps even mk x first, if you really aren't sure. You can upgrade a set you like to mk xii any time, also if you buy None lockbox weapons like standard phasers ect... they are account bound and not toon bound so you can send them to alt toons.

To your questions;

1) Elachi seems to work when ever just keep in mind it has a lock out... most people that run these don't run full sets they run 1-3 of there strongest weapons as elachi... so your DBB if your using one for overload, or a couple DHC.

2) Yes nanite and disruptor stack. Dual weapons also proc at the same time its not 2 chances... so if you have polarized disruptors when you get one proc you get the other. One solid build design is to run 1-2 elachi on your hardest hitting weapons, 1-2 nanites (they can have 3 mods so they make good 3rd or 4th dhc type weapons) and then polarized disruptor turrets to stack those 2 procs. When you get a stack of nanite and regular procs and hit an elachi on someone its super cool, when it happens anyway... its randome to get any proc but to get all 3 at the right time... rare but nice when it happens.

3) Tetryon is mostly junk (but again all base dmg is =)... only major advantages is its not as widely resisted on shields. The proc was buffed awhile back but since then shield regen has gotten even larger buffs... so it more then washes out. It is boosted by flow caps... so perhaps if you run a dedicated shield strip setup on a ship that was able to stack flow cap consoles... and you where running tet glider with it (the omega 2 piece) the extra proc might be nice. You can also get Phased tetryon, where regualr tets are cheap though phased tets are not... but they make great turrets if you can manage to get some holy grail Phased Tet Accx2 turrets.

4) Phaser procs can be resisted, however when/if you use phaser or phased weapons you will see how many people really are not super resisted. Also even if some engines only completely shut down for 3 seconds or there shield goes off... its still bad for them. Many feds are now running a couple romulan embassy boffs, I don't think there are as many people running with 6 man human boff crews anymore after they where nerfed.

You seem to be heading in the right direction... there really is no wrong choice... and if you talk to most players they will tell you thy have banks full of weapon sets. If you go with Tetryon remember you don't have to run all Phased Tet... in fact if your doing cannons you are better off going regular tets for your DHC as they have 3 mods and do just slighly more dmg. Same thing with disruptors you can run anything you want out of the disruptor weapons and you can mix and match.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    if you want to use torps in pvp, pare them with phasers. last night i offlineed this guy's shields and hit him with a grav torp spread 3 during an alpha, and that was the end of that. the chances of torps actually getting to hull directly at this point is so small, just using phasers could as much as quadruple your chances of it. otherwise the only method you could dare call reliable is paring a BO with incoming torps, then your down to just 2 cannons though for general DPS
    edited January 2014
    ....then your down to just 2 cannons though for general DPS

Voth proton weapon... torp guys dream.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • trueprom3theustrueprom3theus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014

I have a hunch this will be a very potent one-shot (or at least a couple seconds one) when used with protonic barrage, proton (+ polaron dmg) tac consoles and 3 piece dyson set (maybe add 2-3 protonic arsenal pieces too), I will try it out on the dhelan with 5 tac proton, 1 dbb and 3 dhc, but I need to wait a bit to reach T5 Dyson on this toon.
    Hear! Sons of Kahless
    Hear! Daughters too.
    The blood of battle washes clean.
    The Warrior brave and true.
    We fight, we love, and then we kill...
    edited January 2014
    stobastiat wrote: »

1) Elachi seems to work when ever just keep in mind it has a lock out... most people that run these don't run full sets they run 1-3 of there strongest weapons as elachi... so your DBB if your using one for overload, or a couple DHC.

I think he wanted to ask if the proc is per shot or per cycle. I am not sure but either ddis or husanak can answer this better than me, it seems to be per shot, but I am not really sure to be honest.

Also, I have a question for you folks. Based on what husanak said above, it won't worth slotting let's say 4 elachi dhc due to that lockout. I only noticed an elachi "immunity" icon on the borg gate while grinding stfs, but never seen that in pvp. I wonder if there is a limit on how many times the elachi can proc on a target, same way as phasers have (if memory serves me right this was a big issue 1-1.5 years ago). If you guys have an answer, I'd appreciate it!
    Hear! Sons of Kahless
    Hear! Daughters too.
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited January 2014
    Has anyone tried a protonic polaron build with 5 accuracy [+pol] consoles? Are they good?
    edited January 2014
    Also, I have a question for you folks. Based on what husanak said above, it won't worth slotting let's say 4 elachi dhc due to that lockout. I only noticed an elachi "immunity" icon on the borg gate while grinding stfs, but never seen that in pvp. I wonder if there is a limit on how many times the elachi can proc on a target, same way as phasers have (if memory serves me right this was a big issue 1-1.5 years ago). If you guys have an answer, I'd appreciate it!

The elachi weapons can only proc once every 5s. There is an immunity just like the phaser immunity. 4 Dhc may still make sense on a build. If you are trying to get that massive DBB overload elachi proc though you might want to stay away from other elachi weapons. For that reason it seems crazy to me to run elachi turrets as proc from them won't really hurt people but lock out the proc.

As far as I can tell its per shot like the other weapon procs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2014
    The elachi weapons can only proc once every 5s. There is an immunity just like the phaser immunity. 4 Dhc may still make sense on a build. If you are trying to get that massive DBB overload elachi proc though you might want to stay away from other elachi weapons. For that reason it seems crazy to me to run elachi turrets as proc from them won't really hurt people but lock out the proc.

That's what I was thinking also, even though, 4 dhc seem a little too much for me, maybe 2-3 seems better and the other one a different disruptor + additional proc. Thanks for clarifying!
    As far as I can tell its per shot like the other weapon procs.

This makes sense, I wasn't sure though on what changed since I left and came back.
    Hear! Sons of Kahless
    Hear! Daughters too.