test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Our experiences in the PVP queues have been very positive

hakanodatehakanodate Member Posts: 21 Arc User
edited January 2014 in PvP Gameplay
Hey all-

My fleetmates (Esquadrao da Morte) and I have for the past 3 days been joining the PvP queues (most of the time the Fed vs. Fed and Fed vs. Klingon Arena) and perhaps we've been very lucky but I just wanted to say what a positive experience it has been so far.

I don't mean positive in the sense that we win very often. I think we did 4 team matches last night and we lost all of them, the last one we were completely shut out.

I mean positive in these ways-

1) At no point were the other teams jerks. After almost every match, several members of the other team put "gg" in zone chat. I like that - it's classy, particularly when it shows some charity when they decimated us! ;-)

2) We're getting better. In no way should this be interpreted to mean we are or will ever be some sort of "up and coming" fleet threat in PvP. We're casual- I might even dare say lackadaisical- about this game. We'll do some grinding and we do mostly have Advanced Fleet weapons and/or reputation equipment, but personally I will not turn this game into a second job. However, our team play improved. Very simply, we implemented the very basic, bare-bones approach of focusing our fire by calling our targets. Yes, that's pathetically obvious but the fact of the matter is that with Nimbus pirates, gravity wells, photonic fleets, etc. cluttering the map having a focus of some sort helped cut through the clutter dramatically. We are not built for PvP (and never will be) but even the most basic team coordination made a real difference.

Anyway, I just wanted to post because I've been reading these forums and a lot of what people have been saying here make the PvP queues sound like a rather bleak place. My experience of it- as a casual noob who really doesn't mind having my rear end handed to me - has been positive. On previous nights, we've even handily won matches, so it seems there are varying levels of ability. If you expect to lose to veteran pvp fleets - which you reasonably should- and can deal with it, PvP might be fun for you as well.

I don't doubt there are serious jerks in PvP - I've been around the MMORPG block a long time. My point is that I've run about 12-15 matches and have yet to run into any so I think there's enough good people in PvP to make it worthwhile, IMHO. In real life I'm a Systems Administrator at a law firm, and my audience is a bunch of Type A Lawyers. Someone who is pathetic enough to be a jerk in PvP will invariably be nothing but small potatoes compared to what I deal with professionally.

So in sum - thanks to those of you who have PvPed me (character names Silfog and Noor, science and engineer respectively) and my fleetmates. We all had a good time, even when we were crushed like miserably cockroaches.
Post edited by hakanodate on

Comments

• ussultimatumussultimatum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    hakanodate wrote: »
    Hey all-

My fleetmates (Esquadrao da Morte) and I have for the past 3 days been joining the PvP queues (most of the time the Fed vs. Fed and Fed vs. Klingon Arena) and perhaps we've been very lucky but I just wanted to say what a positive experience it has been so far.

I don't mean positive in the sense that we win very often. I think we did 4 team matches last night and we lost all of them, the last one we were completely shut out.

1) At no point were the other teams jerks. After almost every match, several members of the other team put "gg" in zone chat. I like that - it's classy, particularly when it shows some charity when they decimated us! ;-)

2) We're getting better. In no way should this be interpreted to mean we are or will ever be some sort of "up and coming" fleet threat in PvP. We're casual- I might even dare say lackadaisical- about this game. We'll do some grinding and we do mostly have Advanced Fleet weapons and/or reputation equipment, but personally I will not turn this game into a second job. However, our team play improved. Very simply, we implemented the very basic, bare-bones approach of focusing our fire by calling our targets. Yes, that's pathetically obvious but the fact of the matter is that with Nimbus pirates, gravity wells, photonic fleets, etc. cluttering the map having a focus of some sort helped cut through the clutter dramatically. We are not built for PvP (and never will be) but even the most basic team coordination made a real difference.

Anyway, I just wanted to post because I've been reading these forums and a lot of what people have been saying here make the PvP queues sound like a rather bleak place. My experience of it- as a casual noob who really doesn't mind having my rear end handed to me - has been positive. On previous nights, we've even handily won matches, so it seems there are varying levels of ability. If you expect to lose to veteran pvp fleets - which you reasonably should- and can deal with it, PvP might be fun for you as well.

I don't doubt there are serious jerks in PvP - I've been around the MMORPG block a long time. My point is that I've run about 12-15 matches and have yet to run into any so I think there's enough good people in PvP to make it worthwhile, IMHO. In real life I'm a Systems Administrator at a law firm, and my audience is a bunch of Type A Lawyers. Someone who is pathetic enough to be a jerk in PvP will invariably be nothing but small potatoes compared to what I deal with professionally.

So in sum - thanks to those of you who have PvPed me (character names Silfog and Noor, science and engineer respectively) and my fleetmates. We all had a good time, even when we were crushed like miserably cockroaches.

Great post, it does feel a bit bleak on the forums most of the time. :)

Glad your fleet is enjoying it, and you definitely have a great attitude about the game.

GL to you guys.
    IMHO. In real life I'm a Systems Administrator at a law firm, and my audience is a bunch of Type A Lawyers. Someone who is pathetic enough to be a jerk in PvP will invariably be nothing but small potatoes compared to what I deal with professionally.

This right here was the gem of the post, I love it.
  • brandonflbrandonfl Member Posts: 892
    edited January 2014
    Awesome post, thank you.

It's great to see new blood in PvP, especially when it comes in with the teamwork mentality right from the start. If you would like any tips, pointers or simply have questions about the way this or that works. Hit up anyone in my fleet. Sad Pandas. We have an open TS and are always happy to help.
    LOLSTO
  • hakanodatehakanodate Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    brandonfl wrote: »
    Awesome post, thank you.

It's great to see new blood in PvP.

I suspect you'll be seeing quite a lot of our blood in PvP.
  • roxbadroxbad Member Posts: 695
    edited January 2014
    Hey all-

A very refreshing post. Well stated.

Good luck and have fun. :)
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Hey all-

this is how 95% of matches actually end, unless someone gets really sensitive and calls everyone out and becomes the biggest troll bait ever.

awsome! your doing it right. you can avoid quite a bit of grind for decent gear if you drop some money on zen, and turn it into keys for EC or exchange it for dil

see you guys out there! cant beat the fun of good pvp matches
    edited January 2014
    I suspect you'll be seeing quite a lot of our blood in PvP.

Hehe, pretty sure I got a taste of it last night. It was a fun match.
    LOLSTO
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014

I love this part of your post.

Anyways, welcome to PvP. I'm gonna beat Antonio to the punch and say that you may want to look into the Tyler Durden channel. Fair and even matches, generally tends to be 15/14, no dealing with the randomness of the public queues.

I also would like to recommend joining PvP Bootcamp. Even if you plan to stay casual (nothing wrong with that), it can offer an excellent starting point to help you get into PvP a bit more, since you'll have more know-how on it.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • scurry5scurry5 Member Posts: 1,554 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I really suspect that there is a huge difference in the queue experience between timezones.....Unlike most, I rarely play during US peak hour, and I can honestly say that I do not typically encounter bad behaviour.
  • rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Keep queuing up, Im dying to shoot you now >=]

MOAR THINGS TO SHOOT

WOOT
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • pokersmith1pokersmith1 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I think we did 4 team matches last night

I think I and some of my fleet mates were one of those that ran into you last night. It was a fun fight, my fleetmates and you guys were pretty much even. At the risk of sounding like I'm tooting my own horn, I'm gonna go ahead and say it anyway, that I was putting my team ahead most of the time because I pvp way more than does the rest of my fleet (combined :P).
    It's an honest assessment. I hope to see you guys improve and open a permanent residency in the PvP corner of STO.

Anyway, it was a very fun match. Kudos, and keep it up!
    Elite Defense Starfleet
    Elite Defense Stovokor
  • pulserazorpulserazor Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    brandonfl wrote: »
    Awesome post, thank you.

It's great to see new blood in PvP, especially when it comes in with the teamwork mentality right from the start. If you would like any tips, pointers or simply have questions about the way this or that works. Hit up anyone in my fleet. Sad Pandas. We have an open TS and are always happy to help.

ALWAYS HAPPY To HELP?

ANYONE in my Fleet?

ANYONE????!?1?1?1?
  • aquitaine985aquitaine985 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It's lovely to see a new group considering PvP and even coming onto the forums to talk about it!

I urge you to reach out to other fleets to play with, talk to members of the community and get involved in activities, a mixture of that can only help improve your experience and also your abilities :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    @Aquitaine985
    Lag Industries STO PvP Fleet - Executive
    A Sad Panda of Industrial calibre.
    2010: This is Cryptic PvP. Please hold the line, your call is very important to us...
  • snoge00fsnoge00f Member Posts: 1,812 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Good attitude, you will go far. Hope to see you in the queues! =)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mightyleptonmightylepton Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Great! Stay classy, and most decent fleets will retun the favor :O
    Read the book of the Rihannsu.
  • aquitaine985aquitaine985 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Great! Stay classy, and most decent fleets will retun the favor :O

Scotchy scotch scotch, get in my belly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    @Aquitaine985
    Lag Industries STO PvP Fleet - Executive
    A Sad Panda of Industrial calibre.
    2010: This is Cryptic PvP. Please hold the line, your call is very important to us...
  • hurleybirdhurleybird Member Posts: 909
    edited January 2014
    I don't doubt there are serious jerks in PvP - I've been around the MMORPG block a long time. My point is that I've run about 12-15 matches and have yet to run into any so I think there's enough good people in PvP to make it worthwhile, IMHO.

I won't deny that we have the occasional squabble, but for the most part the PvP community in this game is well behaved. It might have something to do with that fact that the core community is pretty tight knit and focused on growing PvP. The fact that there's a subset of STO players who will demonize PvPers for anything and everything under the sun certainly adds to the motivation to keep things respectful.

In truth, a lot of the folks who decry the "attitude" of PvPers go out of their way to create a negative response. Many players in this game have an entitlement philosophy, and will come into PvP, get blown up, and proceed to whine or badmouth their opponents. It can go as far as "You're hacking you (insert several derogatory words), I'm reporting you to Cryptic!" Of course, this attracts less than civil discourse, and then those same entitled players will come to the forums and post about how PvP is full of TRIBBLE-holes. :rolleyes:

In truth though, if you're civil with a veteran PvPer he will almost always be civil back. If you ask for help, he will gladly give it. If you call him a dirty hacker, yeah, he might be a bit of a jerk back to you ;)
  • bpharmabpharma Member Posts: 2,022
    edited January 2014
    I'm gonna go ahead and say it anyway, that I was putting my team ahead most of the time because I pvp way more than does the rest of my fleet (combined :P).

I think we may have to run the project for widening the doorways now :P

It is through repetition that we learn our weakness.
    A master with a stone is better than a novice with a sword.

Has damage got out of control?
    This is the last thing I will post.
  • thishorizonthishorizon Member Posts: 1,158
    edited January 2014
    hey!

you did face a panda 4 man team the other night...

we actually stopped on ts and said...wait a minute guys....premade...because we were just bantering around as usual.

my advice.....keep q'ing up. experience is the best way to grow.

ggs, and the pandas are always here to banter around with....if you ever care to join us for some friendly fire.

have fun kill bad guys
  • doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Well, there you have it: It wasn't a premade after all, just a bunch of guys from a fleet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • naz4naz4 Member Posts: 1,373 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Dammit Brandon. Did this encounter occur when I finally managed to get to bed?

Welcome to PvP guys (and gals if applicable). Like Brandon said, we're only a shout away if you have questions.

Live long and pew pew. :)
    edited January 2014
    naz4 wrote: »
    Dammit Brandon. Did this encounter occur when I finally managed to get to bed?

Welcome to PvP guys (and gals if applicable). Like Brandon said, we're only a shout away if you have questions.

Live long and pew pew. :)

I wanna say it was the next match I queued for, or the next 2 rather. 1 was close, the 2nd was the wipe (had a 4man going at this point).

But like I said, they seem to be coming into this with the right mentality, I'm looking forward to seeing what they accomplish.
    LOLSTO
    edited January 2014
    pulserazor wrote: »
    ALWAYS HAPPY To HELP?

ANYONE in my Fleet?

ANYONE????!?1?1?1?

Jorf's post is pretty accurate, I suggest you refer to it for your answer.
    LOLSTO
  • nickx9nickx9 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Well I to am getting more and more into PvP since PvE part is getting boring since NpCs dont fight back ( Voth try to ) :rolleyes:

I agree with OP there arent many of loud mouths in PvP , there are more of them in ESD chat to be honest, and when I do come across at some raging poor thing I do as I do in RL just laugh at them, which makes them even more angry , dont know why :D

A this time i mainly PuG because atm I dont know when and how long I can play , and getting a team and then leaving in 5 min is not really , well, nice.

So far Im not even decent lol, Too use to flying lay back Cruiser FAW boats made me lazy so trying to fly 50+ Turn Raider is a chalenge , It turns great but Im sometimes all ower the place XD , owerstering and what not , especially when I have to wach out at 5 ppl around me that want to blow me up. But its getting better, and is fun.

This is my current build:http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=icicle_3238

ApA+DEM+CRF works nicely with DCs + Auh battery + Proton Barrage all applied from behind lol

I jumped in a allredy going Pug ( on losing side ) , warped in , looked at things to shot at , saw a Bug , used above combo , bug goes boom . And that was mistake since form that point all off the oposing team focused on me lol, till the end of mach ( which came fast ) i was runing for my dear life :D , menaged to kill 1 more, but got killed 3 times in the process

Need to work on my piloting skills more, and Keybinds , The most of my deths are conected to me geting focused , and while trying to gtfo I click Evesive , skill gets Greayed but dont activate , that 3s that takes me to realize this and try to click again is enough to get me blown up every time :( (or I oversteer and go in wrong way lol )

And yea Teamwork is op Cryptic need to Nerf it XD .

See you all in there.

- Ice -
  • naz4naz4 Member Posts: 1,373 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    nickx9 wrote: »
    Well I to am getting more and more into PvP since PvE part is getting boring since NpCs dont fight back ( Voth try to ) :rolleyes:

I agree with OP there arent many of loud mouths in PvP , there are more of them in ESD chat to be honest, and when I do come across at some raging poor thing I do as I do in RL just laugh at them, which makes them even more angry , dont know why :D

A this time i mainly PuG because atm I dont know when and how long I can play , and getting a team and then leaving in 5 min is not really , well, nice.

So far Im not even decent lol, Too use to flying lay back Cruiser FAW boats made me lazy so trying to fly 50+ Turn Raider is a chalenge , It turns great but Im sometimes all ower the place XD , owerstering and what not , especially when I have to wach out at 5 ppl around me that want to blow me up. But its getting better, and is fun.

ApA+DEM+CRF works nicely with DCs + Auh battery + Proton Barrage all applied from behind lol

I jumped in a allredy going Pug ( on losing side ) , warped in , looked at things to shot at , saw a Bug , used above combo , bug goes boom . And that was mistake since form that point all off the oposing team focused on me lol, till the end of mach ( which came fast ) i was runing for my dear life :D , menaged to kill 1 more, but got killed 3 times in the process

Need to work on my piloting skills more, and Keybinds , The most of my deths are conected to me geting focused , and while trying to gtfo I click Evesive , skill gets Greayed but dont activate , that 3s that takes me to realize this and try to click again is enough to get me blown up every time :( (or I oversteer and go in wrong way lol )

See you all in there.

- Ice -

This is a very unique build. I don't even know where to comment bud. All I can say is that i want to see it in action.

I honestly dont know if it would be good or bad. That's my honest opinion right now.
  • bpharmabpharma Member Posts: 2,022
    edited January 2014
    nickx9 wrote: »

See you all in there.

- Ice -

You might want to slot polarize hull instead of transfer shield strength and hope someone throws you a shield heal when needed if you keep getting tractored but otherwise it looks solid for what it is. This is exactly the type of build I was thinking about in the proton weapons thread either here or in builds/mechanics (It should be in builds and mechanics if it isn't) and yes it should really put pressure onto the enemies with a good crit chance.

Dunno about the gravemetric torp rear, perhaps a proton turret may be better as the 3 piece gives CrtD but that doesn't benefit the flow of straight to hull damage from DEM and Proton so extra turret = more dem and more proton procs.

I'll guess you use tactical initiative to keep CRF up when needed? How much damage does the Proton proc do with 5 consoles?

It is through repetition that we learn our weakness.
    A master with a stone is better than a novice with a sword.

Has damage got out of control?
    This is the last thing I will post.
    edited January 2014
    Ok, now I realized that I hijacked OPs tread , sorry for that, Ill continue this toppic elsvere :)

But to answer asked questions

Build Is special snowflake I admit , have yet to decide if it works well or not.

Yea TSS is not that neded on Dyson shield, with its inate autohealing , and I would probably be better with something else like polarize hull , or Tractor even. All that posibilities I just love Universal slots lol.

Im torn about torp / turret isue, I removed turret for torp because of 2 tings, first to get CRF on Experimental gun (it has fastest shoot / cycle rate even more than a turret and just 5 energy drain), and second to get lower power drain and that 10% CritD , but another Dem Procin wep might b better, I will test it out then decide

The thing about Proton Proc is it gets boosted by Proton consoles, but it allso scales with AUH power, so with all +Proton stuff I have, and at 70 AUH , it is at 300 against non VOTH at 125 Auh it gets to about 600

The Proton barrage is same it is allso afected by +Proton consoles and bonuses and Scales with Auh , it like proc is not affected by Wepon power but is afected by EptW , ApA, Tac team and other dmg buffs. Max demage in tooltip display I got all bufed out on barrage is 20 000 dmg ,and it affects 5 targets in front cone, is 100% ignoring shields , and can strip 1-3 buffs from targets
  • hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    More of the same old, same old yesterday. Queued solo because nobody I know is online, ended facing a premade of sci spammers whose brilliant, masterful tactic of flying in a tight little circle, constantly spamming warp plasma, gravity wells, and tractor mines, worked great against my PUG team mates who insisted on flying into the middle of it to get subnuked over and over.
    :rolleyes:
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!
    edited January 2014
    hanover2 wrote: »
    More of the same old, same old yesterday. Queued solo because nobody I know is online, ended facing a premade of sci spammers whose brilliant, masterful tactic of flying in a tight little circle, constantly spamming warp plasma, gravity wells, and tractor mines, worked great against my PUG team mates who insisted on flying into the middle of it to get subnuked over and over.
    :rolleyes:

I dont mind warp plasma, gravity wells, tractor mines or subnucks its all legit tactics, I especially love having Sci on my team to do all that to others lol :D , and about flying right in all that, I did it couple of times , died few times, few times was able to evasive trugh and gtfo, its was all fun :D

Really I dont care about all that this is chese this is op blah, blah , I like flying this Raider and need to learn how, NpCs arent giving me trubles so I went where truble is to be found ha ha
  • xzzzdantezzzxxzzzdantezzzx Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    edalgo wrote: »
    Goodluck to you and your fleet mates!

The best part is you don't have to be number 1 in everything to be competitive in this game. I've seen more than a few people start this game and within a few months become very competitive and win many battles. I'm sure with some knowledge and more practice you and your fleet mates can do so also.

After all the number 1 most OP ability in the game is teamwork.

Hello all, D'Darius here. I am not meaning to take your thread OP but I thought this is as good a place to commentas any. My fleet mates and I played our first PVP the other night. Edalgo and friends is who we faced. We chatted after words. He was very kind and offered assistance. It was a great experience. I/we really appreciate the offer (I will be talking to you, just have not had the chance yet :) ) I have much to learn and many questions. I hope to take advantage of all the help offers. Thanks again. @xzzzdantezzzx
  • aquitaine900aquitaine900 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Double success story ftw!