test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Where does it end?

cruisin1500cruisin1500 Member Posts: 81 Arc User
Is there a plan for the upgrades and 'loot' in this game? It seems to me as though 80% of the items in the game are not even used by players.

So as keep getting reputation systems, and expansions and more gear and fancy powers, all the rest of stuff just get left behind...seems like the game is full of a whole bunch of junk which is no longer necessary.

I am sure something will come along which will give better gear than the fleet system and the fleet system will then be obsolete.

I'm just wondering if cryptic has a plan to make gear be a more horizontal progression (vary things) rather than vertical progression as time goes by.
Post edited by cruisin1500 on

Comments

• Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It's common in every MMO for only a few specific items to be the most-used while everything gets tossed into the trash bin.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    o0kami87o0kami87 Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Don't know when it ends but you are right on items and gear becoming obsolete quickly in this game. I'd like to see that at the lest, slowed down. Further more why not give a purpose to the obsolete gear, like a crafting mechanism where the old gear is needed to make the new gear. I've proposed this for things such as using the Mk X Omega gear to craft Mk XI and using Mk XI to craft Mk XII to lower the resource demand of getting each tier set when once you have the higher stated set the lower grade is more or less vender trash.
    First, Vice Admiral, U.S.S. Wolf Pack-F, NX-101687-FFirst., Vice Admiral, A.R.W. Moon WolfWolf, I.K.S. Frost Bite
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    o0kami87 wrote: »
    Don't know when it ends but you are right on items and gear becoming obsolete quickly in this game. I'd like to see that at the lest, slowed down. Further more why not give a purpose to the obsolete gear, like a crafting mechanism where the old gear is needed to make the new gear. I've proposed this for things such as using the Mk X Omega gear to craft Mk XI and using Mk XI to craft Mk XII to lower the resource demand of getting each tier set when once you have the higher stated set the lower grade is more or less vender trash.

That looks like a great crafting system to me.

The one mechanism where you can trade in lower mk gear to save resources on higher mk versions, and perhaps another where you can trade in vendor trash toward making new items.

Like for example trading in 10 uncommon mk xi shields will give you a randomised rare mk xi shield. 10 batteries of a certain type to get those large batteries that only drop in STF's. That sort of idea.
  • Options
    o0kami87o0kami87 Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    coupaholic wrote: »
    That looks like a great crafting system to me.

The one mechanism where you can trade in lower mk gear to save resources on higher mk versions, and perhaps another where you can trade in vendor trash toward making new items.

Like for example trading in 10 uncommon mk xi shields will give you a randomised rare mk xi shield. 10 batteries of a certain type to get those large batteries that only drop in STF's. That sort of idea.

Yeah, the only issue I can see off hand is it would make about 4 different crafting systems in the game.
    1. Faction/career specific
    2. Standard
    3. Rep craft
    4. Fleet craft
    The idea came to me when they Dyson Rep was on tribble, lot of people like getting Mk XII right off the bat but personally I don't like waiting till t5 to finish a set. I rather get a lower grade of a set now and upgrade it as I go.
    First, Vice Admiral, U.S.S. Wolf Pack-F, NX-101687-FFirst., Vice Admiral, A.R.W. Moon WolfWolf, I.K.S. Frost Bite
  • Options
    mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    o0kami87 wrote: »

I suspect that if there is a level cap increase in the works that this is also in the works. I think when they raise the cap they will have ways to upgrade your gear. They have done this on previous ocassions, most recently with the Nukara gear/rep. I don't see an end to new stuff as this is how they make money and keep the value of dilithium alive and well which in turn sells more zen. As previous posters have mentioned, mmos live to make new and better things and if they didn't then what would be the point in the grind?
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
  • Options
    hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I don't mind the vendor trash loot drops. Helps me resist the temptation to actually buy equipment before I max out my rank, and is a steady source of EC afterwards. *shrug*

I would like to see some of the less-popular equipment sets awarded for "episode" missions offered to lower ranks.
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!