test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Dyson "space" battlezone not balanced with ground battlezone?

angelsilhouetteangelsilhouette Member Posts: 24
edited February 2014 in Reputation System
It seems a shame that the "space" battlezone within the sphere lacks the profitability (Mark wise and Dilithium wise) that ground has.

It would be lovely if, for those of us who prefer space combat to ground combat, the rewards for the "space" option were on par with the ground option.

Or perhaps I'm completely missing something about the "space" system about which someone can educate me that will show me that the "space" Dyson grind can be as fast as the ground grind for moving your reputation to Tier 5.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The "space" battlezone was ruined to suck when they took out the Daily Wrappers that allowed you to actually get paid for capping towers and generally just blowing stuff up. There is very little reason to be there now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • curedmencuredmen Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited January 2014
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Or perhaps I'm completely missing something about the "space" system about which someone can educate me that will show me that the "space" Dyson grind can be as fast as the ground grind for moving your reputation to Tier 5.
    Joint command mission in a cloaked ship, ignore the spawns = easy commendation. But since you probably need marks, implants and dilithium anyway, you might as well just do the ground battlezone and get the commendation on the side.
    The "space" battlezone was ruined to suck when they took out the Daily Wrappers that allowed you to actually get paid for capping towers and generally just blowing stuff up. There is very little reason to be there now.
    Agreed. There's accolades for those who collect them and nothing else.
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Don't worry, the ground battlezone will soon be changed to have rewards on par with the space adventure zone. Cryptic has made it very clear that players earning rewards is something they can't allow.
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Don't worry, the ground battlezone will soon be changed to have rewards on par with the space adventure zone. Cryptic has made it very clear that players earning rewards is something they can't allow.

Indeed. Can't have folks actually getting rewarded in a timely manner.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Personally, I think the ground zone rewards more on purpose (encourage more ground players (something that was lacking as most preferred to stick to space maps)). Second to show an increase in ground plays to justify the cost of the tech needed to implement the TC in the zone.

The space TC is meh, but ground is pretty sweet.

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
  • futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Personally, I think the ground zone rewards more on purpose (encourage more ground players (something that was lacking as most preferred to stick to space maps)). Second to show an increase in ground plays to justify the cost of the tech needed to implement the TC in the zone.

The space TC is meh, but ground is pretty sweet.

It does. The devs know that if the BZ rewards as poorly as the space zones, it will be utterly dead, with too few players to even kill one V-Rex most of the time. Giving BZ large rewards is the only way to keep its zones populated and active.

Look at New Romulus. Most people go there once. Some keep going back just for Epohh tagging. A very small number replay any of the rest of it, and it would be impossible for them to do if it required any level of cooperation or teamwork.

A lot of Battlezone objectives can be secured solo by a good player, due to the way it scales, but one person can't do everything.

But I'm starting to ramble on. The point is, enough people are ninnies about ground combat to keep the space zone populated regardless of how much or how little it rewards. The same isn't true of the ground zone and they know it. So while they may make modifications to address complaints of afkers and leechers- I don't expect a BZ nerf that will affect real players.
  • panserbjorne39panserbjorne39 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Yes it's mind blowing considering the whole thing about how this was supposed to be all about the first in game space adventure zone. I'm guessing it was cheap and easy for them to port over the Neverwinter ground battlezone and not so much for the space.
    Cryptic needs to re instate the daily wrapper.
  • arclite02arclite02 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Even if the ground rewards were better... The space zone would likely be vastly more populated. That's just how it goes in STO. But this time, it's not.

The biggest reason the ground zone does so well (IMHO) is simply that for a change, they got it RIGHT. The Dyson ground zone is FUN.

All the other ground zones are bearable simply because I need the marks (Nukara, anyone??), to the point where I and all my friends don't play them unless we HAVE to. Whatever they did in the sphere, whether it's the zone capture, the incremental rewards, the "assault & capture" and "hold & secure" playstyles, or maybe even the constantly dropping powerups and stuff... It's actually a fun and engaging bit of gameplay.

They really need to revamp ground combat in other areas to play more like the Dyson zone.
  • ovinspaceovinspace Member Posts: 310
    edited February 2014
    This is one case in which being forced to play ground to get the rep token is fine, the battlezone is not a problem as long as you play when there are other players about, and you don't get such huge disparity in firepower between the players.

Flying a carrier in the atmosphere is a nightmare.
  • neotrident12neotrident12 Member Posts: 287 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    They likely incentivised it to get more people into ground play, which I agree needs to be done. The tech for the zone is good and the rewards excellent. However despite this they included Dinosaurs so I won't be going there again, I do look forward to this tech being incorporated to Defera and the other adventure zones.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]