test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Prototype Phaser Weapon System

edwarlordedwarlord Member Posts: 120 Arc User
edited January 2014 in Federation Discussion
With Romulans getting at least two sets that increase plasma damage (not to mention science consoles that do the same), I propose a set that increases phaser damage :D You improve phasers without having to redesign phasers :cool: And it can be introduced similarly to how the Jem'Hadar set is introduced, through episodes. With Mark XII set available through conversion by purchasing an item in the Lobi store. Or...

If not, probably the 2-piece Weapon/Console combo would work best.

Retrofit Phaser Beam Array:
= Leveless "∞" (means at its highest it is equivalent to Very Rare Mk XI).
= 360 degree Fire Arc.
= Does not drain weapon power when fired with other weapons.
= Affected by Beam Overload and Fire at Will.
= Does not come with any other modifiers.

Retrofit Phaser Relay:
= Universal Console
= +10% Phaser Damage
= +10% Accuracy

2-piece set bonus:
= Disabled random subsystem procs now have a duration of 10 sec.
= Phasers now have either...
additional +2.5% chance that stacks with its standard proc or...
additional chance to proc (basically two chances @ 2.5% each, per pulse to proc).
Post edited by edwarlord on

Comments

• Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'd like something like that very much. There should be some kind of set that boosts a faction's native weapon system (Disruptors for KDF) so you maybe see a few more of those instead of AP all over.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    This would work very well if there ever were faction-specific REP systems.

Example:

SCE (Starfleet Corp of Engieers) - ENG set
    Vulcan Science Academy -SCI set
    Andorian War College - TAC set

The TAC set could include a set that is Phaser specific foe example.

For KDF, one from the Qo'noS shipyards (ENG), one from the Gorn (SCI) and one from the Nausicaans (TAC) with similar stats (only Disruptor in case of the Nausicaans) would be appealing.
  • Options
    rrincyrrincy Member Posts: 1,023
    edited January 2014
    I like this idea immensely , we really need reputation with the factions characters belong to , Romulans already have it ( though whether it was the intention or not ) so it'd be nice to see the KDF and Starfleet get one too
    12th Fleet
    Rear Admiral , Engineering Division
    U.S.S. Sheffield N.C.C. 92016
  • Options
    captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Ooh-rah. It might give us a reason to buy the elite fleet weapons :P

What about giving +pha or +dis mods to embassy or mine consoles in the same manner as the embassy consoles currently have +pla?
    I need a beer.

• Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Not too sure it's a good idea to go taking the best parts of two existing weapon sets for a new set as this will only serve to annoy people running the existing sets, I drew up my own stats recently for such an idea that would make for a very nice little fed rep set, see below:

Enhanced Phaser Beam Array [Acc]x2 [CrtH] (to reflect the whole superior sensors thing Feds have)
    Very Rare Ship Weapon
    Bind On Character pickup
    Cannot Equip more than 1 of this Item
    Vice Admiral
    Values do not reflect skills or other modifiers

To target: 227.9 phaser damage (182.3 dps)
    To self: -8 current weapon power when firing other weapons
    2.5% chance to disable each subsystem ((as oppose to random system) cap at 2 per proc, causes 10 second immunity to target upon recovery)
    +20% Accuracy
    +2% Critical hit chance

Console - Universal - <Insert cool name here>
    Rare Universal Console
    Bind On Character pickup
    Rear Admiral (Upper half)

+15 Subspace Decompiler
    +15 Starship Sensors
    +10% Flight Turn Rate
    +10% Flight Speed

Enhanced Photon Torpedo [Acc]x2 [CrtH]
    (similar stats to those of a very rare Mk XII Photon Torpedo +10% damage and 1km AoE damage equal to 50% of the torp damage with 10% shield bypass on all damage (Additional to standard bleedthrough))

Federation Advanced Weapons Set
    Enhanced Phaser Beam Array
    <Console>
    Enhanced Photon Torpedo

Set 2: +10% Phaser Damage (Final Modifier)
    +5% Flight Speed and Turn rate (Adds onto the console)
    Set3: Ability: <Insert inventive name here>
    Causes the enhanced Phaser beam to fire at +75% damage for 10 seconds (for 50% extra drain)
    30 second cooldown (Not affected by cooldown reductions <insert tech talk about power systems here>)
    Has global cooldown with Beam Fire at Will and Beam overload (on the enhanced beam only)
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    chrismullins1987chrismullins1987 Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I use Plasma weapons because of all the rep gear and consoles that boost this weapons type. I would much rather use Phaser but I am tied to Plasma due to all the Romulan gear. We need Federation based rep gear!
  • Options
    edwarlordedwarlord Member Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    adamkafei wrote: »
    Not too sure it's a good idea to go taking the best parts of two existing weapon sets for a new set as this, I drew up my own stats recently for such an idea that would make for a very nice little fed rep set, see below:

Enhanced Phaser Beam Array [Acc]x2 [CrtH] (to reflect the whole superior sensors thing Feds have)
    Very Rare Ship Weapon
    Bind On Character pickup
    Vice Admiral

2.5% chance to disable each subsystem ((as oppose to random system) cap at 2 per proc, causes 10 second immunity to target upon recovery)
    +20% Accuracy
    +2% Critical hit chance

Rare Universal Console
    Bind On Character pickup

+15 Subspace Decompiler
    +15 Starship Sensors
    +10% Flight Turn Rate
    +10% Flight Speed

(similar stats to those of a very rare Mk XII Photon Torpedo +10% damage and 1km AoE damage equal to 50% of the torp damage with 10% shield bypass on all damage (Additional to standard bleedthrough))

<Console>
    Enhanced Photon Torpedo

Causes the enhanced Phaser beam to fire at +75% damage for 10 seconds (for 50% extra drain)
    30 second cooldown (Not affected by cooldown reductions <insert tech talk about power systems here>)
    Has global cooldown with Beam Fire at Will and Beam overload (on the enhanced beam only)

I thought that too however... considering they just copy/pasted Honor Guard set and renamed it Adapted MACO and vice versa. I have not seen anyone QQing about that. So I seriously doubt that they care if it annoys people. So I stand by my Prototype/Experimental Phaser Beam Array :cool:
  • Options
    capnshadow27capnshadow27 Member Posts: 1,731 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Not too sure it's a good idea to go taking the best parts of two existing weapon sets for a new set as this will only serve to annoy people running the existing sets, I drew up my own stats recently for such an idea that would make for a very nice little fed rep set, see below:

Very Rare Ship Weapon
    Bind On Character pickup
    Vice Admiral

+20% Accuracy
    +2% Critical hit chance

Rare Universal Console
    Bind On Character pickup

+15 Subspace Decompiler
    +15 Starship Sensors
    +10% Flight Turn Rate
    +10% Flight Speed

<Console>
    Enhanced Photon Torpedo

As much as i like your idea, a lot of people might be "upset" because their mighty romulan plasma builds are slighty less super strong.

There are sets that boost AP, sets that boost Plasma, Sets that boost Photon torps, sets that boost Tetryon, Sets that boost Disruptor, but nothing that boosts phasers.

Some sets you know, like the nukara weapon set for tetryons, or the romulan set for plasmas, or the obelisk set for AP, then the Elachi set bumps disruptor, and while expensive readily available through the Lobi store and all the pieces are bomb. Then you have the Protonic aresenal for the torps, of dont forget the breen set for transphasics. Temporal set for chroniton.

At least change the Tet glider on the Omega set, to a Phaser +7.6% go simple. Because nobody wants tet glider, if the wanted something that added tet to weapons there is something even better for that....polarized Tetryon weapons.

If they did that it would make for a really good science with phaser set.

Addition: Make the Omega go both ways, KDF it adds +7.6% Disrputor, Fed it Adds +7.6% Phaser, and then add a set into the Lobi store, of a torp, console weapon combo.

Maybe an Overcharged Phaser Dual Beam Bank, an Unstable Photon Torp OR an Experimental photon Torp, and some kind of console that does things.
    Inertia just means you can do Powerslides in you carrier!
    I am Il Shadow and i approve these Shennanigans!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    edwarlord wrote: »
    I thought that too however... considering they just copy/pasted Honor Guard set and renamed it Adapted MACO and vice versa. I have not seen anyone QQing about that. So I seriously doubt that they care if it annoys people. So I stand by my Prototype/Experimental Phaser Beam Array :cool:

Actually that QQing happened a while back but everybody got over it.

If they would copy/paste/port your idea over to all the energy types including disruptor but not Antiproton, I would be happy with it.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    As much as i like your idea, a lot of people might be "upset" because their mighty romulan plasma builds are slighty less super strong.

I must admit what with the Embassy consoles buffing plasma weapons and Rommie beams carrying disruptor proc I can't see how my set idea would be stepping on their toes, If anything I tried to avoid stepping on toes to create a unique set concept that would not only buff phasers but also to benefit federation ships and phaser weapons systems (and the proc) in general.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    capnshadow27capnshadow27 Member Posts: 1,731 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I must admit what with the Embassy consoles buffing plasma weapons and Rommie beams carrying disruptor proc I can't see how my set idea would be stepping on their toes, If anything I tried to avoid stepping on toes to create a unique set concept that would not only buff phasers but also to benefit federation ships and phaser weapons systems (and the proc) in general.

I may have forgot to put something in. I Dont Care if they rommie plasma kids cry. I want better phasers :D
    Inertia just means you can do Powerslides in you carrier!
    I am Il Shadow and i approve these Shennanigans!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bladeofkahlessbladeofkahless Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I'd like something like that very much. There should be some kind of set that boosts a faction's native weapon system (Disruptors for KDF) so you maybe see a few more of those instead of AP all over.

(Emphasis, mine)

I've always thought the very same thing!

Also, +1 to the OP :)

It's me, Chrome. [Join Date: May 2009]

"Oh, I may be captain by rank... but I never wanted to be anything else but an engineer." ~Montgomery Scott~
  • Options
    priestofsin420priestofsin420 Member Posts: 419
    edited January 2014
    Personally, I'd like to see a warp core+Console set for each class, which you get at the very end of the Undine chain. The warp cores would have to be the equivalent of Mk X Rares, and there could be a Lobi requirement to upgrade them to Mk XII. Rewards would be profession specific, meaning a science captain can't get the engi set, etc.

*denotes mark XII upgrade stat

Warp Cores:

Engi: [S->W] [SCap] Field-Stabilizing Warp Core *+15 All Power Levels

Tac: [W->E] [WCap] Field-Stabilizing Warp Core *+15% Crit Severity

Sci: [A->S] [ACap] Field-Stabilizing Warp Core *+5 Graviton Generators & Particle Generators

(no idea about singularity cores, as I don't fully understand their mechanics)

Universal Consoles:

Engi: +10% Shield Capacity, +15% Beam Weapon Damage *Additional +5% to both stats

Tac: +2% Crit Chance, +10% Crit Severity *Additional +1% Chance, +5% Severity

Sci: +10 Graviton Generators, +10 Particle Generators *Additional +5 to both stats

Set Bonuses:

Passive: [Faction Specific] Additional +10% Faction Weapon Damage (Phaser, Disruptor, Plasma)

*Passive: Loyalty- Additional +10% Faction Weapon Damage
    Sardak (Science Officer): Captain of a 23k DPS R'Mor Temporal Science Vessel, R.R.W. Vathos
    Odan Brota (Science Officer): Captain of a 28k DPS Scryer Intel Science Vessel, U.S.S. Kepler
    Patiently waiting for a Romulan Science Vessel
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Personally, I'd like to see a warp core+Console set for each class, which you get at the very end of the Undine chain. The warp cores would have to be the equivalent of Mk X Rares, and there could be a Lobi requirement to upgrade them to Mk XII. Rewards would be profession specific, meaning a science captain can't get the engi set, etc.

*denotes mark XII upgrade stat

Warp Cores:

Engi: [S->W] [SCap] Field-Stabilizing Warp Core *+15 All Power Levels

Tac: [W->E] [WCap] Field-Stabilizing Warp Core *+15% Crit Severity

Sci: [A->S] [ACap] Field-Stabilizing Warp Core *+5 Graviton Generators & Particle Generators

(no idea about singularity cores, as I don't fully understand their mechanics)

Universal Consoles:

Engi: +10% Shield Capacity, +15% Beam Weapon Damage *Additional +5% to both stats

Tac: +2% Crit Chance, +10% Crit Severity *Additional +1% Chance, +5% Severity

Sci: +10 Graviton Generators, +10 Particle Generators *Additional +5 to both stats

Set Bonuses:

Passive: [Faction Specific] Additional +10% Faction Weapon Damage (Phaser, Disruptor, Plasma)

*Passive: Loyalty- Additional +10% Faction Weapon Damage

Aside from "Please, holy cow, no Lobi upgrades!" I'd say that your suggestion is highly biased by the games' current "flavour". You suggest that engies get another +15 power levels they most likely don't need. Engineers can pretty much keep max power in all of their systems all the time. Tacs get even more spike damage potential, can't say much about that, but Scientists should get + grav and particle gens. Why? Because that's the only two skills that improve your damage output. What if my Sci specializes in placate and confuse abilities?

I think a flat bonus to native weapons would make a good set appropriate for every class. I especially like the idea to improve the weapon procs.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    priestofsin420priestofsin420 Member Posts: 419
    edited January 2014
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Aside from "Please, holy cow, no Lobi upgrades!" I'd say that your suggestion is highly biased by the games' current "flavour". You suggest that engies get another +15 power levels they most likely don't need. Engineers can pretty much keep max power in all of their systems all the time. Tacs get even more spike damage potential, can't say much about that, but Scientists should get + grav and particle gens. Why? Because that's the only two skills that improve your damage output. What if my Sci specializes in placate and confuse abilities?

I think a flat bonus to native weapons would make a good set appropriate for every class. I especially like the idea to improve the weapon procs.

The principle behind my post was to let the classes do what they do now, but give newbies more options when it comes to STFs. Any newbie armed with the Mk X set that I've created wouldn't be so worthless when they hit the STFs, because it's kinda funneling them into the accepted "useful" trees. Hence, Engineers get more beam weapon damage, since it's really the only reliable type to use on a cruiser that can't turn well, and science gets their big control abilities buffed that are effective against most enemies. Tactical gets more stuff that lets it be tactical, since the entire point of having a tactical vessel is to do as much damage as possible to the enemy. It's kinda what they do.

My suggestions are based upon my observations on the classes themselves. The idea was not to create some new bizarro-meta where engineers are tanks and science vessels use confuse abilities, but rather create things that people would actually use.

Also, since the suggestion of the set was based on the principle of dealing more damage with your chosen faction's weapons, then the sets themselves need to be *somewhat* DPS based. I chose the two science DPS (and I use the term loosely) stats because of that. Since you're unhappy with my science and engineering suggestion, what would be better?

Should science get +5 to all science stats, and an additional +10 upon upgrading to Mk XII, or something? There's just so much to the science abilities that I'm afraid that trying to make it a jack of all trades sort of set will make it worthless.

Should engineers get additional shield power? This seems useful on the surface, but in retrospect I've no issues keeping my shields up as an engineer, and my shield power is usually very high. It's my experience that the driving principle behind the engineer is to keep those power levels high, with whatever method you choose, and +15 sounds like it wouldn't be too bad of a buff. Maybe increase regeneration rates or power transfer rates?

I suggest Lobi because it's an avenue for Cryptic to make some money, and the only decisions that are worth it to them (from my perspective) are the ones that generate dosh.
    Sardak (Science Officer): Captain of a 23k DPS R'Mor Temporal Science Vessel, R.R.W. Vathos
    Odan Brota (Science Officer): Captain of a 28k DPS Scryer Intel Science Vessel, U.S.S. Kepler
    Patiently waiting for a Romulan Science Vessel
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    The principle behind my post was to let the classes do what they do now, but give newbies more options when it comes to STFs. Any newbie armed with the Mk X set that I've created wouldn't be so worthless when they hit the STFs, because it's kinda funneling them into the accepted "useful" trees. Hence, Engineers get more beam weapon damage, since it's really the only reliable type to use on a cruiser that can't turn well, and science gets their big control abilities buffed that are effective against most enemies. Tactical gets more stuff that lets it be tactical, since the entire point of having a tactical vessel is to do as much damage as possible to the enemy. It's kinda what they do.(...)

Ah, I see. Well the thought behind that is a noble one, but I am 100% against making the upgrade Lobi only. I can lieve with rep grinds and dilithium, but Lobi means you HAVE to buy those pesky lockboxes and I will always fight against those. If it's not available through ingame means it's immediately off my radar.

I see a problem with "funneling them [newbies] into accepted, "useful" trees (...)". By encouraging the power creep and cookie cutter builds through this set we could just as well throw everything out of the game that does not increase damage. I just don't think that's the right way.

I actually think that a set that just boosts the usefulness of phasers/disruptors is a nice set that is useful across the board for newbies and veterans alike. The FED set should encourage defensive abilities while the KDF should improve offensive ailities a bit, just as the romulan set boosts stealth :)
    lFC4bt2.gif