test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Your Predictions Revisited: Foundry January 2014

kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Awhile back, I made this thread in late July of 2013. Many of these predictions were based on dev comments about the Foundry and S8.

So let's revisit and compare our expectations to the 2014 reality of the Foundry.

Rather than necro the thread, I'll just summarize by selectively quoting (so this OP is not massive).

Bazag predicted:
I think definately 3d preview nudger will be implemented maybe with the functionality that is coming with the 1st NW Module

I think they will also include the neverwinter-style interior map creation (though personally I would settle for more wall, floor and ceiling pieces)

They will most likely include some new behaviours of some kind, probably only a couple.

And I think they might include one of items or transporters. Depending on whether they have time and which they think would be most economical time wise.

That is about as much I could reasonably expect with season 8,if anything would be dropped it would be items/transporter. The 3D preview nudger and "custom" interiors are the big two things that Cryptic have said they want that would both require a lot of work so beyond those two things I'm not expecting much beyond that this season.

I would expect NPC behavior would not require much additional work to add so that's why I said those with a reach goal with one of items or transporter.

More obviously would be coming in the expansion and it may take Season 9 for the foundry to fully get kitted out.

Stardestroyer predicted:
Pros: Tons of new content from LoR, like costume options, animations, objects, etc.

Cons: Bugs not fixed, as always.

Newplayerguy:
Realistically (and depressingly), I don't see much change to the Foundry in the next five months.

We'll have a few more assets added (like the squirels and epohhs we just got) and possibly, just possibly, a 'fix' (read reversion) of the current borked 'weighted' rating system - including the ability to see more than 50 missions again.

Other than that, nadda.
(Sadly my 'prediction' for the 'fix' (reversion) is more hope than actual prediction).

Because unfortunately for STO, NeverWinter is the new shiny on the block and most resources are, and will, be allocated to it (most likely for the next year). According to Cryptics own numbers, over 250,000 Foundry quests have already been made in NW. I'm sure Frost will do his best here for STOs Foundry, but he is only one person, and I'm pretty sure he already has other work which takes priority over his Foundry duties.

I'm a realist, and quite frankly, I don't think anyone should hold their breath waiting to see some of the cool features of NWs Foundry show up in STOs anytime soon - certainly not in 5 months.

Nagorak:
The current game stopping bugs such as crashing and slow loading will be fixed. Other "minor" bugs such as not being able to select a space contact as the focus of a dialogue will still remain unfixed (even though that seems like it could be fixed in less than an hour of work, just change what shows in the selection box-- it's not like the functionality does not work, we just can't select it).

No new features will be implemented. No changes will be made to the bad new ratings system. Grinders will still make up a disproportionate amount of the top 50 missions that show, and there will be no split categories for story/combat.

Sorry, but if I were going to bet money on it, this is what I would pick. Not saying I'd necessarily win, but the odds are greatest in favor of this outcome based on the past track record.

Adverbero:
I would hope, against my better judgement, that some of the NW features will come in, like NPC follow

but being realistic maybe not

One thing i do hope for is the missing costumes mentioned Frosts thread

One feature we really need in my opinion, being able to accept an enemies surrender, like certain enemies in cryptic missions
but thats a pipe dream

I predicted:
Season 8 (if that is what they are calling the Fall update) will have nothing to do with the Foundry. It will have to do with endgame buckets, and there will be no attempt to integrate the Foundry with endgame content.

We will get some cute updates from Zero, who adds a few assets like npc groups or a toy car.

Not one of NW's major features (like nudging) will be ported to STO's Foundry. We will get 0 new maps. We will still not be able to make a Romulan mission, unless it's a Fed or KDF mission titled something like "KDF ROM." There will no big set of new Romulan assets, despite Dan Stahl's statement to the contrary. The exploits will still be there. The crappy lists will still be there. Nobody will be able to find our missions in the lists.

There will be some good bug fixes and maybe a new npc behavior or something. We'll get some missing costumes that were promised three seasons back. Maybe, just maybe, costume import/export will make a glorious return (in its previous state, without new fixes).

Otherwise, season 8 will break our missions and the Foundry in general.

Those are my predictions. Cryptic, feel free to prove me wrong. Make me eat those words.

And Rellimtime offered his thoughts:
I predict that after Neverwinters Major Foundry update it will mess up our Foundry in STO, at the end of the Year we will be back to the point we are now where most borkens are fixed and we have some work arounds to make our missions.

But no matter how good or bad the Foundry is at the end of the year I will continue to create missions and stories in the Foundry because its what I enjoy doing.

Any lessons to be learned about the big season 8 update of the Foundry and our expectations based on dev comments?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by kirksplat on

Comments

• orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Be patient, the foundry devs aren't even finished with NWO. But when they are, they'll be back here.
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    But when they are, they'll be back here.

There is no evidence to support this claim. Sorry. It is the longest running myth of the last 2 years.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    More hope than prediction, but maybe they'll finally add STF costumes..
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited January 2014
    What did i tell you about expectations...
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
    edited January 2014
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    What did i tell you about expectations...

You told us:
    You are basically setting yourself up for rage or disappointment in six months when whatever is or isn't done doesn't conform to your expectations. I don't see any virtue in that. Especially since Cryptic is in no way obligated to conform to players' expectations.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2014
    kirksplat wrote: »
    There is no evidence to support this claim. Sorry. It is the longest running myth of the last 2 years.
    Oh...? Well NWO hasn't even been out for 2 years. And I heard the claim from one of last month's Priority One podcasts. Take that how you will.
    edited January 2014
    Oh...? Well NWO hasn't even been out for 2 years. And I heard the claim from one of last month's Priority One podcasts. Take that how you will.

Who said it? There has been a long history of this game's EP saying stuff like this, when he has no control over the Foundry team touching STO's Foundry. Ever since the Foundry team left STO to work on NW, these claims have been made.

Fairly recently, after the launch of NW, the Foundry team flat out told us that they aren't going anywhere in the future (during a Primetime UGC interview). Our Foundry depends on what STO devs decide to do with it.

So, summing up 2013:

"We're just waiting on NW to launch!"
    "The Romulan expansion will allow authors to make Romulan missions."
    "There are tons of opportunities to port NW features for S8."

With the exception of a tagging system that doesn't work and a few new ships, 2013 was a year of nothing for the Foundry, beyond stuff that Foundry authors did.

Out of a massive bug list, I think maybe 3 or 4 things were fixed, before 3 or 4 other things were broken.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2014
    kirksplat wrote: »
    Who said it?
    I don't exactly remember their names yet. :o

And for the record, you don't have to say 'sorry' to me, as I'm not emotionally invested in any of my claims, nor have any unreasonable conviction to them. And I will change my views if enough evidence is presented to me, or have reason enough to apply more skepticism to them, as you have given me here. =)
    edited January 2014
    I don't exactly remember their names yet. :o

And for the record, you don't have to say 'sorry' to me, as I'm not emotionally invested in any of my claims, nor have any unreasonable conviction to them. And I will change my views if enough evidence is presented to me, or have reason enough to apply more skepticism to them, as you have given me here. =)

You are certainly not alone. So many of us, for some unknown reason, had this assumption that the Foundry team would revisit STO after the launch of NW. I'm really not sure where the idea came from years back. 2012 was the year of waiting for the Foundry team to return, and 2013 was going to be the year of ports, etc.

Now it's 2014 and the Foundry is still Beta. To be honest, I don't want the Foundry team to return, based on the mess that is NW's Foundry. But, I'd be happy with a new search interface and detailed maintenance of the thing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    a few new maps...

some new outfits to choose from... please

and maybe a load time of under 30 seconds?

Well... I got the load time wish I suppose.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • nagoraknagorak Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Well, I think my predictions were mostly correct, with the exception being that I'm not sure whether Cryptic even fully lived up to them. Namely, I'm not sure whether all of the serious bugs have been fixed, but I haven't loaded up the Foundry in months so I wouldn't know.

In a way I hate to even post anymore on this topic because my comments will just be negative, but if I'm completely honest Cryptic has basically exhausted my patience at this point. In my opinion the Foundry is in worse shape than it was a year ago or a year and a half ago. With the way it's been treated, I'm not sure that I'm willing to devote any more time to it.

It's sad, because the Foundry could have been an amazing asset to the game, but it hasn't even come close to living up to its potential. I enjoyed my time using the Foundry, so there's no doubt if Cryptic fully supported it, I would be on board, but that just has not been the case.
  • nagoraknagorak Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    You are basically setting yourself up for rage or disappointment in six months when whatever is or isn't done doesn't conform to your expectations. I don't see any virtue in that. Especially since Cryptic is in no way obligated to conform to players' expectations.

In regards to this quote, I think the reality is the Foundry community has cut Cryptic an incredible amount of slack. We've maintained optimism, probably naively, in the face of overwhelming evidence that suggests the Foundry not only has a low priority, it has no priority at all.

At this point I think you have to assume that what we have is all we're going to get. And I guess I've started to come to the conclusion that what we have just isn't really worth bothering with. I say this more with sadness than with anger, but constantly holding out hope for a brighter future that never comes just seems foolish after a while. :(

For what it's worth, I'm not blaming anyone in particular. We don't really know what is going on behind the scenes wtih Cryptic's relationship/orders from PWE. It could be they are so busy struggling to grind money out of the player base to meet income expectations that literally nothing can be devoted to the Foundry. Probably if we saw the whole picture it would make more sense. But even so, that doesn't change the reality that is the dismal state of the Foundry.

So, I think the question just comes down to whether you feel it's worth using the Foundry as it currently exists. Don't hold out any hopes for improvements or changes, or make decisions based on what you hope the Foundry could be. Just make your decision based on what it actually is.
  • lincolninspacelincolninspace Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    With plans for another big expansion next year, I am not hopeful for the foundry getting the much needed attention it requires.
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.
    edited January 2014
    With plans for another big expansion next year, I am not hopeful for the foundry getting the much needed attention it requires.

Edit: Oops. I read the above and didn't see the word "not" before "hopeful," so I responded:

Many of us said the same thing about LoR. At the very least, they'd turn the Foundry on for Romulan missions and give us new Romulan assets. Some new assets, yes. That's it. I see no reason to think, at this point, that another expansion will do anything but further break this barely functional toolset.

You guys can hope if you want. I'm done with hope. My patience is spent.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • borrowedtuneborrowedtune Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Hate to break it to you guys but there is only one thing you guys could ask for that would get the Foundry back on track. And that would be monetizing it. That's pretty much the only thing Cryptic devotes resources to... things that will make you swipe the cc. With a steady decline in population and old tech, this game has long been in its death throes and now barely survives on life support. And "life support" means milking the remaining loyal players for all they can.

Unfortunately, I'm sure someone has done the math and realizes the Foundry author playerbase is just way too small to make any significant dent to their sales goals. They once said PvP could go away and have zero effect on their bottom line. I assure you, the same holds true for the Foundry.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Hate to break it to you guys but there is only one thing you guys could ask for that would get the Foundry back on track. And that would be monetizing it. That's pretty much the only thing Cryptic devotes resources to... things that will make you swipe the cc. With a steady decline in population and old tech, this game has long been in its death throes and now barely survives on life support. And "life support" means milking the remaining loyal players for all they can.

Unfortunately, I'm sure someone has done the math and realizes the Foundry author playerbase is just way too small to make any significant dent to their sales goals. They once said PvP could go away and have zero effect on their bottom line. I assure you, the same holds true for the Foundry.
    Am I the only one who think paying to create FREE missions for a game is bad ? You pay to do someone else job in the end. I seriously hope they will never do such a thing.

As for the game dying, it's simply not true, they've made the best year so far with the past year, and made a lot of money with the Rom. They clearly said so in various interview, and that's the main reason they are making another expansion.

We can just hope they'll bring much needed improvements from NWO, but then, I suspect they will also add the bugs and limitations they have and we don't, instead of the opposite.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bazagbazag Member Posts: 375 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Yeah, lol at my predictions. I won't make any more but I still think the devs will continue to add some NW foundry tech into STO. Whatever tech that turns out to be, any new features will only be trickled in but I'm still generally positive.
  • thedukeofrockthedukeofrock Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'd be happy at this point if they would fix the map that destroyed my most
    important mission in the Spawn of Medusa Series as well as many other missions, but
    I know now they don't give a hoot about that, nor do they give a TRIBBLE about their flawed,
    ridiculous new rating system that will keep new authors and missions in limbo for their existence.

In general, they'll pew pew a tiny additional toy here and there, but not worry
    about the real problems they created since LoR came out.

With all due respect, Cryptic, you have been stinking it up when it comes to the Foundry and helping us who spent so much time to get the content in the game when it needed it most.
    Now that the programmers have got new content to work on, it's TRIBBLE the Foundry and
    those who spent so much time helping to make it something when YOU wanted it.

As far as predictions, they will continue on with their worthless forages into the Foundry, but
    in reality, nothing will change as usual worth anything. I've lost all faith in that happening.

DoR
    ABI-Artificial Borg Intelligence by Duke-of-Rock Available on Holodeck
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Also play Spawn of Medusa - The 5 Part series
    by Duke-of-Rock Available on Holodeck
  • stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    kirksplat wrote:
    Stardestroyer predicted:
    Pros: Tons of new content from LoR, like costume options, animations, objects, etc.

Cons: Bugs not fixed, as always.

Yep, got tons of new content. Loving the Romulan costume options.

And yep, bugs still not fixed.
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!