test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Gold Sellers Out of Control

dontbefooleddontbefooled Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Starting to think **** Rejects are coming to STO to annoy the majority of players with their lame chat spam. Went to SFA and within 5 minutes had to report 4 different toons. Same person? Almost definitely. I honestly can't fault the seller's. If lazy player's who are too pathetic to work for their prizes weren't buying from the gold seller's, they wouldn't even be here. There is no supply without demand.
Cryptic/PWE needs to take this more seriously. Perma/Insta-Ban the buyers and the seller's will give up.
Post edited by dontbefooled on

Comments

• ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    So you actually saw gold sellers in the chat? This would be a first to see, at least for me. Until now they've only bombarded email boxes.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    So you actually saw gold sellers in the chat? This would be a first to see, at least for me. Until now they've only bombarded email boxes.

saw one the other day in zone chat just after the temp server outage was corrected, a number of people were talking about star trek vs starwars vs mass effect and such and how cool it would be to see ships fighting each other and the like.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • svindal777svindal777 Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    a number of people were talking about star trek vs starwars vs mass effect and such and how cool it would be to see ships fighting each other and the like.
    Let the nerdrage flow
    Well excuse me for having enormous flaws that I don't work on.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,462 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    saw one the other day in zone chat just after the temp server outage was corrected, a number of people were talking about star trek vs starwars vs mass effect and such and how cool it would be to see ships fighting each other and the like.

No mention of babylon 5? Kind of surprised.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
    edited January 2014
    you get the point even so. just to jog the memory. there was a gold selling there at the time. clearly the measures taken are being bypassed by these gold spammers.
  • onehappytapewormonehappytapeworm Member Posts: 106 Bug Hunter
    edited January 2014

4 or 5 different accounts in the last couple of days. All at Starfleet Academy.
    edited January 2014
    4 or 5 different accounts in the last couple of days. All at Starfleet Academy.

no surprise there.
  • des101des101 Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The only reason these sellers exist is because people are stupid enough to buy from them! Same people are then usually the ones who have their accounts TRIBBLE :rolleyes:

Simplest solution is:

1. DON'T BUY FROM THEM

2. Report & put on your Block / Ignore List

Beta player - forum knows jack as to when I started

• thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,545 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Only ever had them send me ingame email. Immediately reported as spam. Haven't been approached yet by a toon ingame. Sincerely hope this happy state of affairs continues.

As to why people are stupid enough to buy from them? Stupidity. And stupidity. Did I mention stupidity already?

Does no good to ban the sellers' accounts. They just create another. Banning by IP address might slow them a little more.

Perma-Banning buyers by IP address would probably work best of all. Only reason sellers are here is because there are stupid people here buying from them.

What's the harm in buying from a gold seller? We often forget STO is a business as well as a game. It relies on a revenue stream to keep the servers' electric bill paid and the Dev Team employed. Gold sellers, as well as the people here stupid enough to buy from them, are stealing from everyone who plays STO. LTS. Gold. Silver. F2P. Doesn't matter. Keep it up long enough and pwe/cryptic has no choice but to pull the plug.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • red01999red01999 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Cryptic/PWE needs to take this more seriously. Perma/Insta-Ban the buyers and the seller's will give up.

Great way to lose customers. There are people who got hit with auto-ban for discussing purchasing a "Gold Account" for STO. An instantaneous and permanent loss of everything on the account for discussing paying for something on that MMO? All that would do is kill off chat and discourage people from putting more money into the game.

That also doesn't even start with the people who hit Ignore or Report Player en masse to try to trigger the 24-hour mute on someone 'for the lulz.' So no, while they need to do something, remember you or a friend might be on the business end of the 'solution' they use one day.
    edited January 2014
    Perma banning someone for simply talking to a seller might be a bit extreme.
    Great way to lose customers
    Better way to get rid of thieves and liars.

But it raises the question as to why the conversation was going on in the first place.

The sellers are only interested in someone for as long as it takes to complete the transaction. What legitimate reason would a player have to initate a conversation with a gold seller? Maybe trying to play hero by trapping the gold seller? Bad idea.

What other things besides a profit are the gold sellers interested in about someone who starts a conversation with them? Anyone here shopped at Target and paid by plastic in the last month or two? We all place too much faith in online security and others to protect us from ourselves. And when we get burned, as we usually do, we complain about someone else not doing enough to protect us. In a word, horse pucky. If someone isn't willing to take the most basic precautions to protect themselves then how can anyone else do anything to protect them?

There is no good reason to do anything other than perma-ban an IP address of a player who completes a transaction with a gold seller. Because the player has already shown they aren't trustworthy. And because the gold seller will only continue here as long as he/she perceives there to be an opportunity. For other things besides a profit maybe? Like your personal information?
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    red01999 wrote: »
    Great way to lose customers.

Losing "customers" who are undermining your business and literally robbing you isn't any loss, it's a net gain.

That's like saying that banning someone who rides the subway using only fake subway tokens is losing anything except the loss of revenue the fake token user creates.

The people who would be "lost" under such a plan aren't any loss, they're in the "good riddance, and don't come back" category.
  • ghyudtghyudt Member Posts: 1,112 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    So, I get bashed for asking for something to be changed with the disco ball trolling, but its ok to start up 8 threads in a week about people just trying to sell stuff? I don't see what the big deal is. Are they chasing you around PMing you for hours? Are they sending you messages all day long? Are they interfering with your ability to play the game? No, no, no, and, uh, no. You aren't being forced to buy anything, and they aren't in the way, so who cares? They're actually quite helpful to people like me who work all day and don't have time to grind out hundreds of millions of ec to get certain items on the exchange.

I don't see what you even expect pwe to do about it. You can't ban someone for typing a word in chat, nor can you disable them. People are gonna buy from them and you can't do anything about it. And I'll continue to buy from the treasury because its convenient and it makes my life easier.
  • thegalaxy31thegalaxy31 Member Posts: 1,211 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Just report and ignore them, what's the big deal?
    I would love to visit this star in-game...or maybe this one!
    Won't SOMEONE please think of the CHILDREN?!
  • dontbefooleddontbefooled Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    red01999 wrote: »
    Great way to lose customers. There are people who got hit with auto-ban for discussing purchasing a "Gold Account" for STO. An instantaneous and permanent loss of everything on the account for discussing paying for something on that MMO? All that would do is kill off chat and discourage people from putting more money into the game.

That also doesn't even start with the people who hit Ignore or Report Player en masse to try to trigger the 24-hour mute on someone 'for the lulz.' So no, while they need to do something, remember you or a friend might be on the business end of the 'solution' they use one day.

If cryptic wants customers who buy from gold seller's then cryptic is lame. Banning the accounts of those who buy from gold seller's is the best way to get rid of this problem. Besides, do you really think that buyers are giving a single cent to cryptic? If you do... I just don't know what could be wrong with you if you think that.
  • dontbefooleddontbefooled Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    ghyudt wrote: »
    So, I get bashed for asking for something to be changed with the disco ball trolling, but its ok to start up 8 threads in a week about people just trying to sell stuff? I don't see what the big deal is. Are they chasing you around PMing you for hours? Are they sending you messages all day long? Are they interfering with your ability to play the game? No, no, no, and, uh, no. You aren't being forced to buy anything, and they aren't in the way, so who cares? They're actually quite helpful to people like me who work all day and don't have time to grind out hundreds of millions of ec to get certain items on the exchange.

I don't see what you even expect pwe to do about it. You can't ban someone for typing a word in chat, nor can you disable them. People are gonna buy from them and you can't do anything about it. And I'll continue to buy from the treasury because its convenient and it makes my life easier.

You obviously have absolutely no clue as to what is being discussed here! Take your bottle of booze back down into your basement please. The adults are talking here.
    edited January 2014
    . You can't ban someone for typing a word in chat, nor can you disable them.

You really don't understand how online games work, do you?

They can ban anyone they like, for anything they like. That's why every ToS in existence has the boilerplate "we reserve the right to change anything, anytime, with no warning required, and no obligation to anybody that doesn't like it" clause. Sorry to rain on your parade by injecting a little reality into your Fantasyland, but that's how it works out here in the real world.
    edited January 2014

Po' po' pitiful you. QQ

And if you did purchase anything from one of these gold sellers, then you've already stolen from everyone else who plays this game. And just told on yourself publicly. Perhaps someone from pwe/cryptic ought to check out your account. Pretty sure everything's on the up and up. But you know how these rumors get started?
  • mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    If you aren't smart enough to stay away from these people then it's your own fault when you get burned. I don't like the spam in zone chat but zone chat is usually nothing but some type of spam or politics. I just report and ignore the players I don't care to see. I don't think its a good idea to ban players from the game for talking to someone. I also don't need cryptic policing my chat with others. Take some personal responsibility for your actions and avoid people looking to rip you off.

I would rather cryptic focus on content and not on trying to foil the next scheme someone comes up with. I spend a lot of time in game (I wont say how many hours as I'm embarrased by it) and it's a rare occurrence when I see this spamming. There are many ways for other players to TRIBBLE you in this game, you just need to use common sense. These spammers will just create another free account and start all over again it only takes a couple of minutes.
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
  • cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Yep, reported 9 spammers last night. I added more people to my ignore list in three hours, last night than I usually do in a year. All bogus gold sellers in ESD zone chat.
  • ghyudtghyudt Member Posts: 1,112 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Po' po' pitiful you. QQ

And if you did purchase anything from one of these gold sellers, then you've already stolen from everyone else who plays this game. And just told on yourself publicly. Perhaps someone from pwe/cryptic ought to check out your account. Pretty sure everything's on the up and up. But you know how these rumors get started?

Well, I'm sorry if you feel violated that I don't feel like waiting for months/years to get what I want. But how is me buying credits any different from, say, buying tier 5 fleet access in-game? I see posts in chat every day about fleets selling t5 access. Is it different because people aren't paying for it? The fact is that there is no real difference. Someone earned the ec I bought, and they traded them to me in-game. If I were to buy tier 5 fleet access, then it would be the same thing. I'd give them ec in game, and they'd invite me into the fleet to get what I want.
    edited January 2014
    mikefl wrote: »
    I also don't need cryptic policing my chat with others.

You can prevent them from doing so with ease: Log out and don't ever come back, then "The Man" can't spy on you.

But as long as you're here, you're here at their forbearance and under their rules, which say "suck it up, buttercup, we'll monitor anything we like."
    Well, I'm sorry if you feel violated that I don't feel like waiting for months/years to get what I want. But how is me buying credits any different from, say, buying tier 5 fleet access in-game?

That would be "Because you're buying the access in-game and not from some outside 'Cryptic-doesn't-get-their-cut' lowlifes."

But sure, go on telling us about how you're going to keep doing whatever ToS-violating things you like to do and there's nothing Cryptic can do about it right here in Cryptic's living room and see how that works out for you. :rolleyes:
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    IMHO, I think much of the goldfarmer spam would go away overnight if Cryptic made it that new accounts had to reach a certain level to unlock Zone and Local Chats, as well as in-game mail (who are new players to e-mail anyhow?) Or unlock it immediately at a cost (would goldfarmers be stupid enough to pay to unlock for their advertisement?)

At the same time, new players are directed to a Newcomer Chat Channel, which is moderated. So if goldfarmers try to advertise in the chat, they would be immediately banned than waiting for CSR to take action.
  • priestofsin420priestofsin420 Member Posts: 419
    edited January 2014
    People still have zone chat on?
    Sardak (Science Officer): Captain of a 23k DPS R'Mor Temporal Science Vessel, R.R.W. Vathos
    Odan Brota (Science Officer): Captain of a 28k DPS Scryer Intel Science Vessel, U.S.S. Kepler
    Patiently waiting for a Romulan Science Vessel
    edited January 2014
    Well, I'm sorry if you feel violated that I don't feel like waiting for months/years to get what I want. But how is me buying credits any different from, say, buying tier 5 fleet access in-game? I see posts in chat every day about fleets selling t5 access. Is it different because people aren't paying for it? The fact is that there is no real difference. Someone earned the ec I bought, and they traded them to me in-game. If I were to buy tier 5 fleet access, then it would be the same thing. I'd give them ec in game, and they'd invite me into the fleet to get what I want.

Actually, I'm far too old and hairy to violate. But I'm always open to new experiences if you're offering.
    Quite flattered, really. No one has thought about me in this manner in years. :D

Once again, you seem to be telling on yourself. Right where everyone can see you doing so.

Bad form. No style or class about it.

Next, if you did purchase credits via a gold seller, that individual now has access to your game account and probably your credit card as well. Because you voluntarily gave them the information. Can anyone spell identity theft, Boys and Girls? Unh hunh, thought so.

But it is clear your mind is made up and presenting facts to you is terribly confusing, isn't it?

Lastly, you no longer care about anything but being seen to be right about this in public. Where you've already told on yourself. Right in front of pwe/cryptic.

STO is a game, not a lifestyle choice. Might wanna go check out some addiction support groups where you live.
  • jumpingjsjumpingjs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Why would one be interested in 'em anyway?

Why would you trust a "out of the blue" website, versus and world wide trusted website (PWE)?

Is it the prices are cheaper? Is that how they lure them in?
    Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
    edited January 2014
    If cryptic wants customers who buy from gold seller's then cryptic is lame. Banning the accounts of those who buy from gold seller's is the best way to get rid of this problem. Besides, do you really think that buyers are giving a single cent to cryptic? If you do... I just don't know what could be wrong with you if you think that.

Actually I don't want there to be gold sellers.

But the proposed policy of instantaneous, permanent banning is going to make for a WHOLE LOT of casualties among random players that said the wrong thing to trip off the filter. In fact, it's already happened, and it's hard enough as-is for innocent people to get their accounts unlocked. This doesn't include people who have had their accounts outright TRIBBLE, either.

Having a computer make the evaluation is not always the best answer. In fact, it's often both the laziest and worst answer. This is an example of that.

Remember, you may one day find yourself on the business end of this policy for saying the wrong thing or just being a random victim. How would you feel if everything on your account was lost forever because of something you didn't even do? Think about it.
    edited January 2014
    Losing "customers" who are undermining your business and literally robbing you isn't any loss, it's a net gain.

That's like saying that banning someone who rides the subway using only fake subway tokens is losing anything except the loss of revenue the fake token user creates.

The people who would be "lost" under such a plan aren't any loss, they're in the "good riddance, and don't come back" category.

You assume that the proposed plan isn't just shotgunning people, never mind everyone who happens to get in the way for saying the wrong thing. As I believe I stated before, auto-bans have taken people down for talking about buying "gold subscriptions." Things such as real-time computer analysis of language are not sophisticated enough to make this kind of evaluation, or at least the sort of analysis that would be employed on a typical chat server for a game company.

Remember - you might end up reaping what you've sown here because you typed the wrong thing on your chat box. And it might not be "BUY CHEAP FAST blahblahblah," it might be a reference to upgrading your account to a "gold" account.

While I am not a big fan of gold sellers, I am also aware that computers are fundamentally stupid, and will mindlessly and mercilessly enforce the bans, merrily destroying all the work people such as yourself have built up because of one wrong word or due to random happenstance, such as getting your password nicked, or being targeted by a few random people who want to click 'Report' because you happen to be near where they are when they want a cheap thrill.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Bronze selling is the way to go.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    IMHO, I think much of the goldfarmer spam would go away overnight if Cryptic made it that new accounts had to reach a certain level to unlock Zone and Local Chats, as well as in-game mail (who are new players to e-mail anyhow?) Or unlock it immediately at a cost (would goldfarmers be stupid enough to pay to unlock for their advertisement?)

At the same time, new players are directed to a Newcomer Chat Channel, which is moderated. So if goldfarmers try to advertise in the chat, they would be immediately banned than waiting for CSR to take action.
    Limiting chat for low level characters is one solution, a lot of the spammers log in, create a toon, get on the server, spam a bit, then log off and delete the character, so a level limiter would put a wrench in that practice, as for having an optional buy in to get by that limit, that would actually aid a gold spammer, because there are always victims with money, someone who is too stupid or too lazy and looking for an easy way to excel in the game, for the second that part about a moderated channel, that requires a full time staffer, whether paid or volunteer being on hand 24/7, be completely unbiased and able to act promptly and effectively, Cryptic's record with customer support makes that seem somewhat unrealistic.

It's unfortunate that we don't know whether or not the current system is effective since we are given no confirmation that any action was taken, it would be nice in Cryptic would post a thread showing us what actions have been taken against gold vendor sites as a result of player reporting efforts to at least show us that we aren't wasting our time doing this, and it would also serve as an effective deterrent reminding players that they are risking their accounts by having anything to do with the companies listed.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC