test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is it me?

mikeyborgmikeyborg Member Posts: 20 Arc User
Or does it seem the Fed KDF war is pretty much over. They have joint commands against the Borg, helping the Romulans and stopping the Voth from exploiting Omega molecules. Might as well reinstate the Khitomer Accords while they at it. I like the new stuff, but it seems the Federation and Klingon Empire are being too buddy buddy for supposedly being at war. Cryptic could have taken a page from World of War Craft and had separate staging areas on opposite sides of the Dyson Sphere for Fed and KDF. And then put a contested zone in the middle with side missions (missions not required to do, but that give big rewards). In this contested zone it would be free for all PVP and PVE for both space and ground. It just seems that the war between the Federation and Klingon Empire is too important to just ignore; which seems to be the case at the moment. I hope the PVP revamp reignites the war that STO was originally designed around. Just my thoughts on it. I don't usually post, but this has been bugging me for awhile.

Any thoughts?
Post edited by mikeyborg on

Comments

• bazagbazag Member Posts: 375 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It totally makes sense for the KDF/Fed war to be over end game. Borg/Undine/Voth (Omega particles) are all something that the Feds and KDF should put aside their differences for.

Borg are Bad, so are Undine and so are Omega Particles. That is something that all three factions agree with and is something that would concern them enough that they would put (at least in this stage of the game) aside their bickering to work together towards a common goal.

I would expect the war to be over and more collaboration into the future maybe even a storyline focussing around it being officially ended.

As for WoW, I'm not a WoW player myself but it is my understanding that in the End Game the Orcish Horde and the Alliance have pretty much done the same thing and are focussing on these things of potentially apocalyptic proportions.
  • renegade1spiritrenegade1spirit Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Yeah, I agree, and Cryptic even made it so that in legacy pf romulus klingons were more honorable and sensible, rather than "Raggh im going to drink your blood"

If anything, the Klingons are more like strong allies to the federation, and the only thing even remotely being warlike is player versus player.
  • vocmcpvocmcp Member Posts: 1,134 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Technically they should have seperated Dyson. The point with Dyson is that it is the Romulans that have found it and that take care of it. As a result of that they have asked their ally to help them with it. However their ally is either the Federation OR the KDF. They have had to make a choice. So while you see characters of all factions, story wise this is not true. It's Romulans & KDF or Romulans & Fed. It's not like the STF's where all three of them go for battle. Unfortunately this is not reflected in actual gameplay and thus often misunderstood.

Or am I wrong with this?
  • gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    As I see it, both sides now know that they were manipulated into war, but pride is making them keep something going, that said, neither side is willing to deploy their full force.

I think during the Klingon Livestream a couple of weeks back that it was mentioned that they are looking into bringing the war to an end.
  • gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    vocmcp wrote: »
    Technically they should have seperated Dyson. The point with Dyson is that it is the Romulans that have found it and that take care of it. As a result of that they have asked their ally to help them with it. However their ally is either the Federation OR the KDF.

Or am I wrong with this?

I think you are wrong - The first mission you have as a Romulan after picking a side, you head back to your own planet and find troops of the opposing faction being led by a Romulan Captain who picked them. Which sort of makes sense - We've only been part of The Republic for 5 minutes, and whilst we are highly capable (Though my Captain is doing her best to disprove this at the moment), we can't be expected to be setting policy that will affect the entire Romulan people from there on out.

But having The Republic playing both sides is ridiculous as well...
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The war doesn't make sense and was never written to believeable IMHO. The thing is, it would have made sense if they had developed two or more distinct factions. But at some point they realized, for whatever reason I'm not going to judge that, that it's easier to just create shared content. This and the fact that they publish carbon copies of ships for all factions and offer so much cross-faction vessels has effectively eliminated faction gameplay. Frankly, they should just drop the whole faction thing and just let us play free for all ;)
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • zipagatzipagat Member Posts: 1,204 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    angrytarg wrote: »
    The war doesn't make sense and was never written to believeable IMHO. The thing is, it would have made sense if they had developed two or more distinct factions. But at some point they realized, for whatever reason I'm not going to judge that, that it's easier to just create shared content. This and the fact that they publish carbon copies of ships for all factions and offer so much cross-faction vessels has effectively eliminated faction gameplay. Frankly, they should just drop the whole faction thing and just let us play free for all ;)

That would of been during the PWE days when the devs were working with a very small and underbudgeted team compared to today.

That said the war never really started, if you are blue side you fight the KDF early on before moving on to more import things like the true way, devidians and so on. As red side you do a couple of raids and attacks on Starfleet before moving on to the same bigger threats.
    While the few KDF missions were especially well done and fun there is no where near enough of them for the scope of a war. The Fed ones have been there since the beginning of the game and never changed or built upon.
  • mikeyborgmikeyborg Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    gonalius wrote: »
    As I see it, both sides now know that they were manipulated into war, but pride is making them keep something going, that said, neither side is willing to deploy their full force.

I think during the Klingon Livestream a couple of weeks back that it was mentioned that they are looking into bringing the war to an end.

That makes sense. I would like to see a Feature Episode officially ending the war; maybe something with the Iconians or Borg. With the Federation President and Klingon Chancellor reinstating the Khitomer Accords as a cutscene at the end.

It would be nice for them to tie up the loose end that is the Fed vs KDF war. It is a rather big loose end to leave hanging out there for this long.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    the war didnt make any sense, think about ds9 and how gowron realized what worf said, "saving an empire is no defeat". the klingons can't be fighting too many enemies, borg, romulans (tal-shiar superstate) and feds with internal conflicts all the time. that also never made much sense, the klingon empire is only so strong before it becomes absurd.

the feds would never engage openly in a war if there was not other choice presented. they prefer to have their peace, diplomacy, exploration and studies. so this idea about federation officers murdering millions is just as absurd.

plenty of element that never made much sense on sto, but that part - the war, not sure what cryptic were thinking.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    id rather they stop with all the undine/voth/devidian jazz and escalate the kdf/fed war.
  • earlnyghthawkearlnyghthawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Technically they should have seperated Dyson. The point with Dyson is that it is the Romulans that have found it and that take care of it. As a result of that they have asked their ally to help them with it. However their ally is either the Federation OR the KDF. They have had to make a choice. So while you see characters of all factions, story wise this is not true. It's Romulans & KDF or Romulans & Fed. It's not like the STF's where all three of them go for battle. Unfortunately this is not reflected in actual gameplay and thus often misunderstood.

Or am I wrong with this?

Well, being honest though, the game slightly more accurately reflects the RR position, than you think. Sure the PLAYER (or character more accurately) makes a choice. But their are hundreds of ships and captains, all making their choices. And D'Tan is waiting to see how things pan out with that. Your character's choice, doesn't determine the whole course of the RR, only what's available to you. I mean, you did see NPC Fed AND NPC Klin on New Romulus didn't you? At the same time. Sure, they might not be drinking buds, but they aren't shooting each other either.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    butcher suspect, "What'd you hit me with?"
    Temperance Brennan, "A building"
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    No, it's not you. Cryptic completely lost track of their own story a long time ago. No matter how hard you try to justify it the fact remains that red and blue are supposed to be at war, per storyline that Cryptic itself wrote, and yet they're working together every time you turn around.

@Cryptic: **** or get off the pot. You can't have it both ways.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • renegade1spiritrenegade1spirit Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Cryptic really just made Klingons to have PVP, I'm assuming they tried to start a whole war with the first missions, but that quickly died out with the devidians and what not.

Cryptic probably thought all the factions in Qs winter wonderland getting along and teaming up against snowmen monsters was a better idea than an intergalactic war between two equally powerful factions.
  • eulifdaviseulifdavis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    mikeyborg wrote: »
    Cryptic could have taken a page from World of War Craft

Hell no!
    mikeyborg wrote: »
    And then put a contested zone in the middle with side missions (missions not required to do, but that give big rewards). In this contested zone it would be free for all PVP and PVE for both space and ground.

Also no. PvP needs to stay in a box, as far away from PvE gameplay as it can get. If you ever played SWG, then you know the awful travesty that was the "Restuss Invasion" content. PvE and PvP do not mix, and attempts to force them to just result in massive ganking everywhere and no meaningful gameplay for either preferred style of gameplay.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited January 2014
    Kill the war. It would have been glorious if Cryptic gave a damn about anything other than the most recent cash grab. Now it is just a big farce ... Along with the rest of the so called story.
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    zipagat wrote: »
    That would of been during the PWE days when the devs were working with a very small and underbudgeted team compared to today.

you mean the Atari days..... we are in the PWE days. Atari was so damn cheap the dev's could do little more than keep the lights on for a while.
  • steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited January 2014
    My level 50s tend to view the war as more of a Cold War at this stage of their lives. There's some moments that bring the heat, but the 50's are mostly focused on Borg and Breen threats, and helping establish an ally with New Romulus. One of them even has diplomatic immunity to enter the opposing side's home sector.

However, my level 17 Gorn recently got done terrorizin...um, patriotically destroying a significant portion of Utopia Planatia. I'd hardly call that an end to the war.

If the Devs are seeking a way to bring the war to an end, I hope that is actually reflected in the character advancement. Each character running through the timeline from clear invasions such as the Utopia Planatia incident to reduced hostilities as facts are learned as to how the war really came about, to negotiation table by level 50.
  • mikeyborgmikeyborg Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    macronius wrote: »
    Kill the war. It would have been glorious if Cryptic gave a damn about anything other than the most recent cash grab. Now it is just a big farce ... Along with the rest of the so called story.

I played SWG from launch. Thought the CU was ok but the NGE sucked until they fixed it a bit. PVP was not forced in Restuss. You had to go SF to be ganked. Restuss was designed for a mix of PVE missions with the chance of PVP, but nothing required anyone to do it. Was a choice unless you played Jedi and needed the Jinzu saber for the upgraded 5 pearl saber. The saber was made that way to be difficult to get, but it was not overly hard you only needed to hit the Emperor's Hand to loot the Jinzu. PVP was optional in SWG except inside the Restuss zone or the static bases. STO needs world PVP to bring a real war feel to the game if they want to continue the Fed vs KDF war. But it should be optional to do. But, if you enter the war zone you are free game. I liked the idea of PVP maybe catching me off guard in SWG; it is why I played BH since the launch. Of course it was bugged for awhile until Jedi started to unlock. On Bria server we were very much into PVP in SWG. STO really could use a whole zone were PVP is always a possibility rather than boxed in Arenas and small zones like Kervatt. We need a zone like Dyson with PVE missions with PVP players trying to prevent the other side reaching their goals that is big and open all the time. Not queued like now. The arena matches should stay, but an open world zone would make PVP much more fun and realistic where you might get killed while doing something or do the killing by trying to prevent the other faction from doing things. Just my thought to make the war feel like a war.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,438 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Or am I wrong with this?
    I'm afraid you're mistaken. D'Tan tells you, in so many words, that each of the captains of the Republic will have to choose which of the other powers to ally with; his plan is to play each side against the other to maintain as much freedom for the Republic as possible.

Consider: So long as there are Republic forces working with both Starfleet and the KDF, if either side tried to launch an attack against Mol'Rihan, it would find its own fleet riddled with moles. For that matter, if either side tries to take the war "hot" after the Republic joins in, they'll find Republic commanders on one side refusing to fire at their comrades on the other side. And no politician will ever start a war without knowing that he has the full support of his forces.

Consider further: D'Tan keeps promising to share Romulan technology with his allies. I don't see a lot of Federation ships packing cloaks, do you? Or Klingon ships with the power of a singularity drive (seriously, a device that builds up energy as you fight, and can then release that energy either as an explosive burst or as a massive reinforcement of shields and integrity fields - how many of their own children do you think the shipwrights at Qo'noS would sell for that?). Republic ships have free access to First City and Earth Spacedock - but neither of the "major" powers can come to Republic Command. Sounds like the old Unificationist has things well in hand...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    There was a fed/KDF war in the game? Where?

Just one of those things that really wasn't expanded on enough? Like all those story episode arcs that end with no conclusion to the story?

I'm still waiting to find out what the hell happened to Empress Sela at the end of the Cutting the Cord episode. That's the last time we see her in game. Her ship is towed by an alien vessel into a gate in an asteroid. How long ago was that episode added to the game?

That's the problem with STO. The story arcs start out good but then suddenly it's over and you're starting into another story. Or the story just suddenly ends with no climactic resolution.

Though I will admit the story where DS9 is taken over and you gotta work to get it back was probably the best storyline in the game.

Everything after that were just 4 or 5 part episodes that had short stories. I was very disappointed when first playing the game and I got to the Borg Collective story after the DS9 arc. All episode sections from Klingon War up to Cardassian Struggle had a lot of episodes (excluding Wasteland that was introduced with LoR). Then you get to the Borg Collective and the first episode is to just go talk to an NPC. Then it has a measly 3 episodes. Breen Invasion - 5 episodes. Undine Invasion - 4 episodes.

Everything after the Second Wave episode gave me the impression Cryptic stopped caring about the story arcs and just lazy put out some episodes to shut people up about no new content.

Wasteland on Nimbus III was nice, but that was more a continuation of the romulan faction story.

I don't Consider 'Circles within circles' to 'Tower Control' to even be real episodes. It's just going around the Dyson Sphere to certain locations and basically just shooting a few Voth ships. Most real episodes in the game have you go to a system, sometimes more than 1, shoot stuff, then beam to a planet to rescue people and/or shoot more stuff, and things like that.

Sphere of Influence was really good but the Dyson Sphere story afterwards, to me, just kinda fell flat. :(
  • endorfinatorendorfinator Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Pretty sure a conclusion to the war is on the 2014 to do list.