test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

If STO is your favorite MMORPG - join the discussion...

2»

Comments

• amalefactoramalefactor Member Posts: 511 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    rushnor wrote: »
    Its funny because STO actually introduced me to Star Trek universe and since I've started playing STO I watched everything there is about Star Trek except the "Enterprise". I hated that show from the very first episode... I am not a trekky, nor I am a ST geek now. But I liked the shows similar to how I like Star Wars movies. STO, however, have captured me by its dual layer of fun - space missions and planet missions. And it has fun customization and a lot of stuff to do now especially with Romulan side.

STO is my favorite MMO... today. I mean I've been playing it since the very beginning, even Beta tested it, but I take breaks. I dont have any of rep Tier 5 yet.. mostly because I hate grind and after PWE bought Cryptic there was nothing but grind. Of course there was some grind before that too but releasing Seasons and Episodes helped a lot imho. You don't really have to grind though which I like, since all the top equipment as I call them BoBs - Best of the Best are pretty much only important in PvP. Elite fleet equipment and blah blah, you don't need any of that for PvP or even for Elite STFs. You can obliterate everything even with rare-blue equipment when team is on par and everyone knows what they are doing.

Customization is a big plus imho in STO, at least it is what keeps me coming back and everything else. Somehow it just clicks with me. But who knows, maybe after grinding STFs I may get bored again and switch to LOTRO - another great MMO that has advanced into a lot of content throughout the years and quite deep customization system.

So yeah at this point it is STO and LOTRO and LOTRO and STO for me... I plug in Single Player games from time to time to keep things fun.

You may want to give Enterprise a second chance, by starting at the final season. The "In a Mirror Darkly" might be what you're looking for, but there are others, all pretty good. Except the finale. Skip that.
  • xaosmg123xaosmg123 Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Just wanted to say thanks to all those that have read or posted on this thread :) Its great to find out the forums do have amazing players visiting them!

My characters are :

Xalon - FED

Xalion - ROM - Fed alignment

Xaos - KDF

I am always up for RP, PVP and all types of PVE. I'd love to hangout ingame with anyone who wants to. STO isnow my favorite mmo and there is sooooo much to do! More even since I take my time to soak up every little bit. So I am not losing my enthusiasm anytime soon lol.

Also, if you, any friends or any of your alts are looking for a Fleet - I would like to recommend two.

One is the United Sector Taskforce - amazingly friendly fleet, hundreds of members, people are always online, Tier 3-4+ all holdings and its a RPer fleet.

The other is my own fleet. United Space Legion. I created my fleet to find other players who might be new to Star trek in general, as I still am. New players, returning players or any friendly mmo/sto veterans are welcome to join us. We only have a dozen or so players, and our tier holdings are all halfway or more to Tier 1. We'll get there soon enough lol.

If you are looking for a smaller fleet that doesn't want more than 50-100 active players, and that has some RPers while its not required, then contact me anytime to get more info on the USL or to join us.

If you are looking for a bigggg RP fleet with friendly players that are always running stuff- contact Brex or any of the UST leaders.

Also, there are dozens of friendly and amazingly fun Fleets for pvp, pve, rp and a lil bit of everything. So good luck finding a fleet if you don't have one.

If you do have a fleet already, feel free to contact me so we can setup some runs or events together :) Always good to find other players who enjoy STO as much as I do :)

Have a HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! Salute! Q'apla! Jolan tru!
  • ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,450 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    STO is my favorite MMO. In the beginning I had some doubts, but it seems like things are going pretty smooth with the game (aside from bugged content being brought over from Tribble even though the Devs know of the bugs).

I have tried many other games.... Champions Online, Lord of the Rings Online, War of the Immortals, Forsaken World, Neverwinter... but they are nowhere near the "fun factor" that I find with this game. I do play CO from time to time, but usually just to see if there have been any improvements lately.

The game I compare STO with is SW Galaxies. That game was the most pure sandbox MMO I have experienced. Thankfully, it is making a comeback in both Pre-CU and Post-NGE emulator formats and I'll be playing that game again in my spare time.

There are some things I would like to see made available here that were in SWG, but, for the most part, I am very happy with STO in the general sense.

I do have some specific issues with how the game is being added to with (knowingly) bugged content and the apparent lack of motivation to get things fixed that should have been fixed months and years ago.
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    starswordc wrote: »
    I'm actually not much of an MMO fan. I play STO more because it's a Star Trek game than because it's an MMO.

Same for me. I really like CRPGs and would also try some MMOs if they would try to be something different. STO really doesn't do that much to stand out, except it's a Star Trek game and can have a kinda loose sandbox feel to it.

Most of the things the OP lists as "pro" arguments to the game, and I don't want to be rude, are things Cryptic would publish through their PR department, but actually if you go into the deep they vanish into thin air. There are even lies ( ;) ) listet there: You cannot influence how your characters are adressed in-game. That's a major point people harp on since the beginning of the game :D
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • des101des101 Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Is STO my favourite MMO? Sadly, no.

Whilst the game is ok, it lacks that special something which some of the other, more popular titles have.

Sitting down and thinking what I actually enjoy doing in Game, the list comes down to:

Space combat - 5-20 man PvE maps
    Playing with ship Setups - Consoles & Boff layouts
    Doff missions

That's it!

Whilst the game does have a lot more content, most is either a grind, boring or broken mechanics means it's pointless to participate in thus doesn't hold my interest in the slightest!
    And for a game that's been out for a few years now, still way too many bugs!

Still, as it's currently the only STO mmo, I'll keep coming back to pilot those iconic ships..

Beta player - forum knows jack as to when I started

STO is currently the only mmo I play. I am getting discouraged with technical issues hampering my gameplay, lag bugs etc. I am also uninspired by most of the new content. It seems like endless grinding to me. I mainly play because of the foundry. Creating game levels in 3d from scratch in a sci fi ip is like a dream come true, and very fun. Except for bugs and a clunky search menu.
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    xaosmg123 wrote: »
    Hey all!

Never thought I would say this, but I am absolutely in love with STO. Some things I don't like and I wish other things would be added - but the game, as it is right now, is my new favorite mmorpg that I cant do more than 1-2 days without playing! :eek:

So, if STO is your favorite mmorpg - tell everyone why! [/I]

1-2 days you can go that long?

there are millions of different things to do
    - true plus a good variety from blasting baddies to counting epohh to shooting dinosaurs.
    there are soooo many types of ships, each with their own benefits and looks
    -- true
    that I can change the way my character looks and how they are dressed - whenever I want
    -- also true
    there are over 110+ planets I can do "Patrol" missions in
    - - true true
    there are dozens of dailies and reputation dailies
    - - true, this is getting creepy
    when I take my time, the game is 1000x MORE FUN - and I can just soak up every bit of amazing epic content
    - - true also, are you sure your not me?
    STO has one of the friendliest and mature communities of any mmo I have ever played
    - - too true, maybe you a long lost twin I never knew I had?
    the graphics - characters, ships, maps, etc.. are sooooo GORGEOUS when video settings are maxed out
    - - I also agree here.

I especially love STO because I was never a Trek fan before it. So as I play the game, everything I see and do is usually brand new to me, and I love that I don't need to compare the game to the books/movies/series[/I]

now you have blown it were not that alike after all, I especially love STO because I was a big Trek fan before it. So as I play the game, everything I see and do is usually very nostalgic to me, and I love that I can to compare the game to the books/movies/series but on the other hand even if I had never seen star trek before I would still love the game so I still agree with you there.

I think it must be a case of great minds thinking alike. ;)

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    feiqa wrote: »
    A friend of mine suggested I try this games leading competitor with flashing energy swords. And it has some strong points. The writing is sharp. Every class has their own missions set in places where most all other players will go. But there is where customization fell off. As a certain rogue like character you can have 2 pistols or a shotgun. Your other skills are not that well defined for what you should be able to do. Your armour is based heavily on drops and all of it has a look. Often a bad one. No themes for characters just great(er) stats. Each of the trinity characters got a ship. That was the one you were stuck with and it took a while to get it at all. Then the flight was more like a transporter to get between worlds and ship combat is rail shooting.

I have to agree with you here I gave this game a try and at first thought it to be fairly good so much so that I thought I would end up maybe playing it almost half as much as sto but it didn't take long to see all the faults you have pointed out and now I would rather spend my time watching paint dry then playing that particular game.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• raphaeldisantoraphaeldisanto Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Not a Trek fan here. (I don't dislike Trek - I enjoy it the same way I enjoy any contemporary sci-fi show, like Stargate, or Lexx, or Farscape, etc. It's all good sci fi entertainment to me.)

Long time MMO player, from original EQ through many different MMOs. Last year, I was very burned out on MMOs - and video gaming in general. I'm a writer, musician, artist and programmer, and when Cryptic released Neverwinter, I spent 6 months in the Foundry. It's a great tool, except that the game itself didn't grab either me or my friends, and so since none of my friends were actually playing, creating content eventually got old, boring and pointless.

I played STO in the beta (Champions Online lifetimer, here) and I enjoyed it, but I was too busy in CO when STO came out to really pay much attention. But I had friends who played STO, so I decided to check it out, and check out it's version of the Foundry, too.

Alas, the STO Foundry is painfully lacking when compared with the Neverwinter Foundry, so I haven't put any time into creating any content, because working with the lack of 3D edit tools makes my brain bleed out of my ears.

However, I was very pleasantly surprised by the game itself.

I came here for the Foundry. I stayed for the game. STO is the MMO that got me back into gaming.

I can't give it any higher praise than that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kurumimorishitakurumimorishita Member Posts: 1,410 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I don't like MMOs.. but I love Star Trek and many of the Star Trek games that were released over the last two decades (esp. games like STA, STEF, STBC, BOTF, etc.). That said, I really enjoy STO a lot, even though I wished it had more, official "adventure/exploration/diplomatic" systems/missions and quite a bit less grinding.. but they are on the right track with things like the reputation sponsorship etc. -> hope STO will continue to grow and improve for many more years to come and I certainly will continue to support & play it, too.
    "We might get pretty singed at that range, but not as singed as they're going to get. Engage."
    - Captain Six of Nine aka Ashley "Don't Call Me Ash" Campbell
    q4F10XV.jpg
    ALWAYS OUTNUMBERED, NEVER OUTGUNNED