test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is Subsystem Repair useless?

edwarlordedwarlord Member Posts: 120 Arc User
edited January 2014 in Federation Discussion
Have they changed things so as to make use of this skill or is this starship skill one of the, if not the most, useless of captain skills :confused:
Post edited by edwarlord on

Comments

• mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Oh heck no, there's plenty of usage for this skill even in PvE. There are plenty of enemies who will gladly shut your stuff down.

Voth
    Romulans
    Fek'ihri
    Tholians
    Federation
    Klingons

Probably others

Trust me, speccing into it can make a world of difference from just sitting there useless, to being back in the game more quickly.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    for PVE a disabled weapon is annoying as stako
    a disabled shield is dangerous
    disabled engines in PVE is pretty irrelevant...and for most builds except sci and carriers aux is also irrelevant, but can be annoying sometimes.

for the 2 that really matter i have EPtW/S, warpcore batterie thing (mostly the shield heal)
    for engines i have the adapted maco or KHG engines
    and on sci heavy builds i have an aux battery onboard.

with all this in place i usually have no problem when a subsystem is disabled.
    Go pro or go home
  • stoltsstolts Member Posts: 482 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    So having an all human boff crew for space + Subsystem Repair skill becomes irrelevant with all those disable counters?
    1686is5.jpg
    The first Belfast was commanded by Captain Ve'Kal Shon until its destruction in 2409. A new ship was commissioned bearing the same name and registry as special dispensation to then newly promoted Captain Edward XIII for his pivotal role during the renewed Dominion War.
  • rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    stolts wrote: »
    So having an all human boff crew for space + Subsystem Repair skill becomes irrelevant with all those disable counters?

No, it means you dont have to rely so much on them. An all human crew recovers from a system disable (especially if the skill box is specced into) almost instantly.

For PvP this is ridiculously a good thing.

For PvE its not as big a deal, but its by no means "useless" or "irrelevant"
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    stolts wrote: »

considering how long a cool downs/shared cooldowns many "counters" have, and the fact that some enemies can do it to you repeatedly within a matter of seconds of you clearing it, hell no its not irrelevant.
  • truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 929 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Never, ever, never...useless.
    edwarlord wrote: »
    Have they changed things so as to make use of this skill or is this starship skill one of the, if not the most, useless of captain skills :confused:
    52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    tenkari wrote: »
    considering how long a cool downs/shared cooldowns many "counters" have, and the fact that some enemies can do it to you repeatedly within a matter of seconds of you clearing it, hell no its not irrelevant.

*cough* Tholian weapons shutoff *cough*
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • capnshadow27capnshadow27 Member Posts: 1,731 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    mimey2 wrote: »
    *cough* Tholian weapons shutoff *cough*

Quoted for truth.

Tholians shutoff weapons like no tomorrow. Nothing i have found so far stops them from doing so, nor decreases the length of it.

Hit EPtW to clear that, ok *hits EPtW*, *tholian shuts it off again*, fine ill hit my Weapon Battery *pushes button*, *tholian does it again*.......now wtf do i do? :D

So sometimes useless.....
    Inertia just means you can do Powerslides in you carrier!
    I am Il Shadow and i approve these Shennanigans!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • earlnyghthawkearlnyghthawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Well, it's like anything else, you keep getting hit by something that has the capability to offline stuff, of course, eventually, it will get through.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    butcher suspect, "What'd you hit me with?"
    Temperance Brennan, "A building"
  • davideightdavideight Member Posts: 460 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    in theory the skill is good.

the passive repairspeed gets boosted.

unfortunately this passive repair is linked to able/alive crew.

crew itself is nearly dead alsmost after 2-3seconds infight. no matter how much you have, cause crew loss is percentual.

so, having skilled a 100%+ repairspeed (so its 1.25 sec instead of 2.5sec, instead of 5sec uncountered disable) when crew is 100% alive and able is totally destroyed, cause crew is only at 10% infight. this means that the gain is also incresed but the standard repairrate

even with buffed skill is above 15seconds, and so slower!!! than every boff counterspell.

the skill should be redisigned to

lessens the passive repairspeed malus done by crewloss by 75% (at full skill) so that the minimum passive ability of repairing disbled subsystems is approx 5sec with this skill.
  • stofskstofsk Member Posts: 1,744 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I wouldn't call it a useless skill to spec into, but I personally choose not to

coz uh it's useless lol

Seriously though, I just don't particularly see the use of it. None of my fed characters really notice subsystems go offline all that much, and that might be because of the higher proportion of human crew I have. And subsystem attacks don't seem to be that frequent either in my experience. The Tholians are keen on them, but I've never been so unlucky as to have a subsystem get knocked out after I've cast an eng team or a EPtWhatever ability or hell a battery even (really, it's only annoying if it's weapons and shields that get taken offline).
  • edwarlordedwarlord Member Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Interesting... thanks everyone for their input.

Speaking of which (this ties in with subsystem disables) have they improved on the Phaser's disable random subsystem length of proc? I mean disruptors proc lasts 15sec.
  • the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    While there are plenty of skills for science that ARE useless in PVE this isn't one of them because even the newest enemies have CC skills they use and this removes them or reduces them to no time at all.