test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Proposal: Split Ground and Space Skills

macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
I know this has been said before and I am not asking to be able to take more space skills. I just want to be able to have a toon that can be equally effective on ground and in space. As it stands, I spend 99% of the time in space so I spec accordingly. Sometimes, I want to do some elite ground missions for fun though.

What do you say Cryptic? And no ... I won't bother leveling alt toons with all reps ... I already have too many. Thanks.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie

Comments

• Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Agreed. Having two separate combat systems and having to choose between them can be a bit of a pain. Giving ground it's own set of skill points would help alleviate things.
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Not to mention some skills needs another revamp (stealth, inertial dampers, etc).

And perhaps some skills could be added, like shuttle piloting or melee weapon training.
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Sure.

10chars.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    They actually do this to a degree. The old system could have you completely specced for space with no ground skills. The current system requires to spend a minimum amount of points in ground and space. With the current system, I can focus on ground or space and have some available for the other or I can go with a more balanced approach. What we need is more Skill Points which is only available if the devs increase the level cap.
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    starkaos wrote: »
    They actually do this to a degree. The old system could have you completely specced for space with no ground skills.

i miss that system i could care less for ground in this game
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    ftumchftumch Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Are there any plans to make it easier to sellect space /ground abilities - ie when in space your space skills apply
    when on ground your ground skills apply .i like to swap and change between ground stf and space stf but its a pain changing the skill sets every time i have lost count of the number of times i have arrive in a space stf and i have the wrong skills set
    surley these can be separated and make the game more playable and therefore more enjoyable
    please for my sanity tell me you have plans to adress this
  • Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    ftumch wrote: »
    Are there any plans to make it easier to sellect space /ground abilities - ie when in space your space skills apply
    when on ground your ground skills apply .i like to swap and change between ground stf and space stf but its a pain changing the skill sets every time i have lost count of the number of times i have arrive in a space stf and i have the wrong skills set
    surley these can be separated and make the game more playable and therefore more enjoyable
    please for my sanity tell me you have plans to adress this

They are looking into this supposedly...
    I hope it comes sooner, rather then later, it IS a major pain going back and forth between ground and space traits.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    dragnridrdragnridr Member Posts: 671 Arc User
    I kinda want the skill points and traits for ground and space separate. Since ground skills and space skills don't affect each other in the slightest, why not allow us to spec into both using separate skill points. As for the traits, just give us equal amount of space and ground traits that activate depending on if we are on the ground or in space.
  • Options
    sqwishedsqwished Member Posts: 1,475 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2015
    Edited - I was thinking of traits. But I will go as far as saying the the 100k upper limit on ground skills as well as the one for space, could be removed or revised. But that's just my opinion. As for traits, they do need to separating out or at the very least coupled with a system like the loadout one.
    Post edited by sqwished on
    Oh, it's not broken? We can soon fix that!

• Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Players have been asking for this for a long time.. with good reason.

At the very least, allow us to have character loadouts similar to the ship system. That way I could just switch load outs for the mission I'm doing.

As it is, I have my traits 100% space skills because that's what I do almost all the time. If I'm going to do a ground mission or a story mission, I have to swap them out and it's annoying. At least let me change load outs like I do my ship.

This would be a big 'quality of life' improvement.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Skills are not traits.

Traits are not skills.

I don't see a real need to separate ground and space skills, myself. The split they did with this skill tree suffices enough as the minimum you're forced to put into ground skills is plenty to do ground effectively.
  • Options
    kamiyama317kamiyama317 Member Posts: 1,295 Arc User
    What the hell are you people talking about? They already forced us to take a minimum amount of ground skills years ago. We are now FORCED to put SP into ground skills - which I still think was a wrong decision because it restricts player skill builds.

I don't understand your logic either - "I want less space skills and more ground skills in my skill build. Cryptic please force everyone to take more ground skills so I can change my build!" Why can't you just change your build to the way you like it, by yourself? Why do you need to TRIBBLE with everyone else's skill builds? You can just change your build yourself if you don't like it. Leave everyone else alone.

If you are talking about traits - NO. I am 100% against it. Your skills, kit, and general gameplay ability make up well over 90% of your combat effectiveness. The traits are just gravy and what people pick as traits are no one else's business.

IMO leave traits the way they are, and remove the SP restrictions so I can go 100% space skills. More freedom makes better gameplay.
  • Options
    I guess I'm a bit confused on the request then, to clarify my reply..

I'm fine with the current skills system. I have weighted my skills heavily in favor of Space as have most people, but I still have enough skill points to make me good at both.

What I was advocating was a seperation of traits, apparently I mis-read what the OP was saying.

I'm not in favor of a skills revamp.

I am in favor of a load out system for captains that lets me switch trait setups 'on the fly' so that I don't have to change them before doing ground/space missions.

Apologies for the confusion.
  • Options
    koraheaglecrykoraheaglecry Member Posts: 250 Arc User
    I suspect that we will see this if they are going to do it during the Skill Revamp. Which wont be until 2016.
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    Seriously people.
    Thread%20Necromancy_zpslrbwff7v.jpg~original
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    As it is, I have my traits 100% space skills because that's what I do almost all the time. If I'm going to do a ground mission or a story mission, I have to swap them out and it's annoying. At least let me change load outs like I do my ship.

This would be a big 'quality of life' improvement.

Traits should simply be part of the loadout system, like doffs are. It's bewildering they haven't done so yet. A torp boat needs different Traits than a BFAW-only ship, or a Science setup. As per usual with the Devs, though, they start something, then see some blinky pennies to be made elsewhere, and then they leave what they were working on half-finished, like the loadout system.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    Seriously people.
    Thread%20Necromancy_zpslrbwff7v.jpg~original

Dangit.. I didn't even see the date.

Not the first time I have fallen for the dreaded 'Necro Thread of Doom.'
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Traits should simply be part of the loadout system, like doffs are. It's bewildering they haven't done so yet. A torp boat needs different Traits than a BFAW-only ship, or a Science setup. As per usual with the Devs, though, they start something, then see some blinky pennies to be made elsewhere, and then they leave what they were working on half-finished, like the loadout system.

Amen, I never understood why it wasn't. I happen to fly several different types of ships and switch between Cannons and Beams. When I do, I usually forget to swap Beam Barrage for Deft Cannoneer and other traits like that. If you like to fly many different builds and you do ground and space missions, you will spend a lot of time swapping traits back and forth.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    While it is a needless pain in switching out the Traits if doing a Space or Ground queue, where it is sort of a problem is doing Missions that skip back and forth between Space and Ground combat. You cannot retrait once in the mission unless you purposefully exit and resume (hoping that it doesn't start you back earlier in the mission).
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    While it is a needless pain in switching out the Traits if doing a Space or Ground queue, where it is sort of a problem is doing Missions that skip back and forth between Space and Ground combat. You cannot retrait once in the mission unless you purposefully exit and resume (hoping that it doesn't start you back earlier in the mission).
    The plot missions are so easy I'd never consider retraiting for them even if I could do it on the spot.
  • Options
    aesicaaesica Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    The current skill system is trash and should just be gutted and reworked from the ground up. Probably not a popular opinion, but when you think about it, there's plenty of "mandatory" skills and then there's skills hardly anyone takes, besides maybe new players who don't know the game well yet.
    Rubberband Dance has been unlocked!
    kNqxcCf.gif