test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Maximum possible speed in system space

burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
Ever since the corvette appeared, I have sought to create the fastest ship I could make from 'off the shelf' parts (aegis, generic purple doffs, cheap lockbox consoles (impulse cell), ect) for my amusement (and for goofing around in kerrat on occasion)

So far though, I seem to have reached a limit - impulse 654.3

It seems that no matter the tweaks, I cannot get past this number (subspace wake doesn't count as on my ship I go slower/a shorter straight line distance despite the display) so I'm beginning to wonder if this is the system maximum speed and if trying to go faster is pointless

If any dev or knowledgable person could inform me if I've reached the end of my quest or if I just need to go faster, I'd greatly appreciate it

edit - new top speed 654.35!

edit - new top speed (even I had to rerun it as I didn't believe it) impulse 676! (considering what I've learnt, I might need to set up my tacs corvette to use its attack pattern alpha...)

..Okay - evidently you can go faster, so my question now has to be - how fast can you go before the game stops registering your speed?
Post edited by burstorion on

Comments

• Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I'm not sure, have you tried aux2damp?

I got my cruiser up to 300 once for the running time of APO, it was kinda scary, my laptop turned itself off after that (I can only assume it was as a result of it lol as it worked fine for the rest of the day and no issues since :D)
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    adamkafei wrote: »
    I'm not sure, have you tried aux2damp?

I got my cruiser up to 300 once for the running time of APO, it was kinda scary, my laptop turned itself off after that (I can only assume it was as a result of it lol as it worked fine for the rest of the day and no issues since :D)

125 engine, 125 aux, epte3, a2d, apo3 and impulse cell - my normal ship speed is 140. something :p

it says a lot when my ship goes faster normally than at full impulse (and more so in dyson sphere)
  • Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I saw you mentioned Aegis set, Omega set is built for hit and run and those engines... deary me will suffice, you may want to look at the adv fleet hypers ([Spd]x3 over elites [Spd]x2) and look at the borg ones as well, you might squeeze a little more out of them.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The more disturbing thing is how quickly an UNBUFFED ship is going. I was jetting along at 90-ish with EPTE on, and suddenly this completely unbuffed Pancake blew past me. How did THAT happen? I even clicked on it to see who/what it was, and noticed it wasn't buffed at all!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    solemkofsolemkof Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Someone got their corvette to impulse 1161 back in August [link] (I don't know what they used and if everything still works the same way)
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    solemkof wrote: »
    Someone got their corvette to impulse 1161 back in August [link] (I don't know what they used and if everything still works the same way)

Its the subspace wake - but that only alters the display, you don't -actually- move that fast, much to my annoyance

with the wake on, I've briefly broke 1k, but its so fast its not worth counting - plus its a display change, not a ship speed change
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    adamkafei wrote: »
    I saw you mentioned Aegis set, Omega set is built for hit and run and those engines... deary me will suffice, you may want to look at the adv fleet hypers ([Spd]x3 over elites [Spd]x2) and look at the borg ones as well, you might squeeze a little more out of them.

I was building it strictly with 'off the shelf' parts - ie, items bought via the exchange to prevent my compulsiveness from draining a chunk of my assets on a pet project (sure, it can spread/crf at 125 weapon but its designed primarily to go fast)

I do agree though, adv fleet hypers might be more effective than elites

I might be able to squeeze some more power with a [SEP] core too...

edit: I have a sep core on :3
  • Options
    breygornbreygorn Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    This did remind me of something...

In Back to the Future, do you know why the time travel happened at 88mph?
    It's because if the real life Delorian got up to that speed, it'd blow up. :/

anyway, that is some rather fast speeds. :}
    I'd probably look at it as two separate things myself, sustained and burst.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    breygorn wrote: »
    This did remind me of something...

In Back to the Future, do you know why the time travel happened at 88mph?
    It's because if the real life Delorian got up to that speed, it'd blow up. :/

anyway, that is some rather fast speeds. :}
    I'd probably look at it as two separate things myself, sustained and burst.

I reckon every time my corvette (piloted by an Ork so naturally its bright red) goes out for a spin, it comes back needing a full engine rebuild :D (or as its Orky, its always broken but it works as 'da boss' believes it will)

Speaking of explosions, for a laugh, I used my full speed in a ramming speed strike...

20k+ damage to a cruiser hull, through shields (took near 3, 4k off the facing) wit epts3 and tss running

...and even with brace for impact, I was still totalled -50% hull gone in a flash

...considering this is a technician pilot...
  • Options
    heroofstoheroofsto Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I think at "The Doomsday Device" you can fly with Impulse 2300 (something in this range...) when you fly around the star...

@heroofsto

sorry for my english...
  • Options
    sandormen123sandormen123 Member Posts: 862 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    heroofsto wrote: »
    I think at "The Doomsday Device" you can fly with Impulse 2300 (something in this range...) when you fly around the star...

@heroofsto

sorry for my english...

Hmm. Good idea. I must build a Corvette, and try out the rings :cool:
    /Floozy
  • Options
    dabelgravedabelgrave Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I am pretty certain you get around the same speed with those rings in any ship. It's 2400-ish in everything I've tried (including the corvette).
  • Options
    sandormen123sandormen123 Member Posts: 862 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    dabelgrave wrote: »
    I am pretty certain you get around the same speed with those rings in any ship. It's 2400-ish in everything I've tried (including the corvette).

Yeah. You're right. I was thinking wrong. I was thinking 2400 as base-speed, and adding max speed ontop of that. -Thinking it could be fun trying to maintain course. My brain is flawed sometimes. :D
    /Floozy
  • Options
    dabelgravedabelgrave Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    solemkof wrote: »

That was me using (best guess based on screenshot):
    [Speed]x3 fleet engine (advanced)
    [W->A] warp core (I didn't have fleet at the time)

and in this order:
    1. Auxiliary Battery
    2. Engine Capacitor
    3. Emergency Power to Engines I
    4. Auxiliary to Dampers II
    5. Impulse Burst
    6. Deuterium
    7. Attack Pattern: Omega III
    8. Subspace Wake
    9. Evasive Maneuvers

As for Subspace Wake, yes, it does make you go faster, and isn't just a UI change. I've used it by itself in PvP to catch folks running.