test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Proposal: Changing Energy Weapons

hasukurobihasukurobi Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
We currently have a lot of little issues with our Space Energy weapons and a lot of complaining from all camps. So here is my idea for a way we could perhaps make them a bit more uniform with each other and a bit more useful all around.

The first thing I propose is eliminating the range strength difference between Beams and Cannons. In this way both will deal the same damage from any range. This is important for a number of reasons and as Space really has little to cause power loss over such a short distance as we fire at it would seem illogical for much degradation to occur to begin with. This also would eliminate the need to get closer to a target to deal more damage.

Seems how cannons in general should pack a bigger wallop than beams I think they should all get the Critical Severity bonus of the DHC's. Even turrets should benefit from this built in bonus.

Next DHC's should be granted a small amount of extra Kinetic Damage to their shots (due to just how hard their big hits deal). This could be something like 10% of the cannon's damage as bonus Kinetic. It would not make a big difference Vs. Shields but once they were down it would give these more punch.

Next give Dual Cannons one more pulse per fire then they currently get and lower their base damage slightly. The idea here is to give them higher DPS compared to DHC's but keep DHC's volley and base damage superior. This would help make Dual Cannons relevant again but not make them king over DHC's per se.

Allow Cannons to take advantage of overcapping Weapon Power.

Finally, allow Cannons to deal even more damage to Hull than they currently do but slightly less damage to Shields.

Now onto Beams. We are shown through Subsystem Targeting that beams are supposed to be more accurate. So my idea with beams goes like this.

First, give all beams one free inherent Accuracy bonus much like the Cannon's Critical Severity bonus.

Next lower Dual Beam Bank and Beam Array damage slightly to help prevent them from utterly eclipsing Cannons.

Next create a new class of Beam weapon. The 360 Beam Array or Beam Turret. This could be used on the rear along with DBB's. This weapon should have the same accuracy bonus as all other beam weapons and deal a little less damage than an equivalent Turret but also drain 2 less Weapon Power. This weapon should be able to use Target Subsystems and Fire At Will but not Beam Overload.

Finally, allow Beams to deal even more damage to Shields as compared to Cannons than they currently do but slightly less damage to Hull.