test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Perfect World ready to take free-to-play MMOs to consoles

truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 928 Arc User
edited December 2013 in Ten Forward
Back in September, MMO house Perfect World revealed plans to move into the mobile game space. Today, the company said that it has opened a console game division, and plans to release games for current and next-gen consoles.

Link

Star Trek Online is not mentioned in the article.
52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The company says it will produce free-to-play online games for console audiences, calling the move to console "a natural progression for us."

Can't really find any reason to disagree. ;)
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,366 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    truewarper wrote: »

Link

Star Trek Online is not mentioned in the article.
    It is nice that a rare nod was made toward Champions Online, however - even Google Ads, which pop me up the occasional STO ad, never mention CO.

On the other tentacle, the article seems to be saying that PWE wants to make future F2P titles for consoles, possibly utilizing the talents of Cryptic and Cryptic North. I certainly hope that last is not the case, however, as we have too much need of the devs we have (some forty personnel working on STO at last report, and rumors that we might actually have three devs on CO!).
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    felixhexfelixhex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I want this move to happen more than having new ships to add to my collection. But if and when they hit consoles I hope it's done right. What I mean is, I don't want this game or my other favorite CO to suffer. None of the mmo's should suffer as they go to consoles. But as a console lover I would love having CO on my PS4. If STO ever makes the move I would stop playing games on PC period.
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    STO is console-level skill so it makes sense

I used to think they would be good at tablets, heck I used to think they should bet the studio on tablet gaming, but graphics arent there yet. Consoles make more sense in the short-term.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,366 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Well, CO was originally crafted with Microsoft's assistance and the XBox 360 in mind, back when it was going to be a Marvel-based game - that's why the code has support for the XBox 360 controller. Unfortunately, after Marvel pulled out, Microsoft dropped it too, apparently not seeing how the game could succeed without the backing of a major comic-book IP.

It shouldn't be that much of a leap to get the games onto at least the "old" consoles - the 360 and PS3, that is. Might even work out with the XBone and PS4. What I'd really like, though, would be for the controller-support code to be included in Neverwinter - with its mouse-based movement/attack scheme, that would be perfect. Heck, it might even tempt me into playing the game again!
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited December 2013
    This same conversation is going on over on the SWTOR forums actually and the main question that's cropped there should also be mentioned here. Would making a console version of STO distract from content development? I don't really know the answer to that.

I say if building a console version stops actual content being made, don't do it. We all know how restless the natives get when there's a content drought. However. if it would be a different, separate team of devs making the console version and other development could continue at the same time, then I see no problem.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I always thought there was a restriction on how much a company could use for patches on consoles. like 1G or 2G limit per week/month or whatever, which basically kills MMO updates that often have 2-3 gig updates, plus a tone of smaller ones.

even if that's changed or not true, don't ever expect STO to go over to consoles.

future ones, with any restrictions taken into account, sure.
  • Options
    highcasualtyratehighcasualtyrate Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    For STO on consoles...Saw this on Shacknews. Could you imagine STO with Xbox one Kinect voice support!! "Full Impulse!!" "Fire phasers". I know its a dream but man I'd buy it in a heart beat, even if I had to roll another character. Cross server compatibility would be an issue, as it always is with console\pc titles. Can't stop me from Dreaming......

"Perfect World Entertainment, developer and publisher of various free-to-play MMOs, has announced plans to make games for both current and next-gen consoles. Console products will include both existing and future games from Perfect World Entertainment's developers, which includes partners like Cryptic Studios and Runic Games."

Full article

http://www.shacknews.com/article/82437/perfect-world-entertainment-to-make-console-mmos
  • Options
    johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    For STO on consoles...Saw this on Shacknews. Could you imagine STO with Xbox one Kinect voice support!! "Full Impulse!!" "Fire phasers". I know its a dream

Don't know why it's a dream - Skyrim did it.

Mind you, it was an awful idea then, too. Kinect, Move, Sixaxis and all that caper are just way too gimmicky. Maybe once games are more like Star Trek's holodeck programs, i'll be more inclined to play by getting off the sofa and waving my arms around and shouting aimlessly.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • Options
    xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    A massive waste of Dev time - just my opinion.
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • Options
    xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    deokkent wrote: »
    Lol don't say that ^^. You're going to shatter all hopes of star trek fans. Personally, I think it's a grand idea.

Holy shiznit, can you imagine me sitting in the living room, perfectly customized captain chair, big wide screen tv made to look like the bridge screen (I can't wait for hologram tv) and yelling orders like there is no tomorrow.

Now this would turn me into an employee exploiting ceo just to afford the right materials.

It may be funny for a short time... but actually, it is too much of a gimmick for my taste to be applied to a game that needs much love in many, many other areas. :rolleyes:
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • Options
    earlnyghthawkearlnyghthawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    deokkent wrote: »
    Lol don't say that ^^. You're going to shatter all hopes of star trek fans. Personally, I think it's a grand idea.

Holy shiznit, can you imagine me sitting in the living room, perfectly customized captain chair, big wide screen tv made to look like the bridge screen (I can't wait for hologram tv) and yelling orders like there is no tomorrow.

Now this would turn me into an employee exploiting ceo just to afford the right materials.

You might not be able to "shout the orders", but everything else, you can do. Just hook up your PC/Laptop, through your HDMI, connect an awesome stereo/surround sound unit, either custom make a "captain's chair", or set up your most comfy chair you have, to be able to use your keyboard & mouse on, and voila! there you go.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    butcher suspect, "What'd you hit me with?"
    Temperance Brennan, "A building"
  • Options
    sle1989sle1989 Member Posts: 552 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    xiaoping88 wrote: »
    It may be funny for a short time... but actually, it is too much of a gimmick for my taste to be applied to a game that needs much love in many, many other areas. :rolleyes:

Like the Klingons...
    y1arXbh.png

• Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    That's all STO needs the Star Trek version of chat roulette.

We have enough D****in the game, I don't need to actually see one :D
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    For STO on consoles...Saw this on Shacknews. Could you imagine STO with Xbox one Kinect voice support!!

Based on all the reviews I've read so far, yes I can:
    "Fire torpedoes"
    "I said, 'Fire torpedoes!"
    "Tor. Pe. Does!!1!!!"
    "What does it take to get a torpedo fired on this ship?!"
    "WAAAAAAUUUGH!!"
    -sigh-
    "Respawn"

Oh indeed, they should get to work on this right away. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    roxbadroxbad Member Posts: 695
    edited December 2013
    You might not be able to "shout the orders", but everything else, you can do. Just hook up your PC/Laptop, through your HDMI, connect an awesome stereo/surround sound unit, either custom make a "captain's chair", or set up your most comfy chair you have, to be able to use your keyboard & mouse on, and voila! there you go.

It's the way I play now.