test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Time to end the war?

immudzenimmudzen Member Posts: 145 Arc User
I have a klingon character but I find I pretty much never play them because they are not in the same fleet. At this point we are at war with so many other species I wish the war with the klingons would just be over.

I wish that we could just have klingons in the same fleets as the rest of our characters and could even fly each others ships. During TNG when the Feds and Klingons where at peace they had officer exchange program and I would like to see something like that come back. I would even like to see some jointly developed ships like klingon/federation or federation/romulan hybrids.

It seems like this would solve a lot of the issues with low populations on the klingon side, people not wanting to play them etc. Just have the ships, doffs, boffs, characters etc shared and declare the war is over. Could even add a mission where the klingons and federation realized they where setup up by the undine, put their differences behind them and decide to go after the undine, borg, voth, tholians etc. We have a far on so many fronts at this point with enemies FAR more deserving that the klingon war should end.
Post edited by immudzen on

Comments

• Options
    xsupersnailxxsupersnailx Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The fleet I'm in has a federation and a klingon version, the federation version is extremely active and completes fleet projects every day. where as the klingon version hasn't completed a fleet project for months and no one is ever on.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    That is why I want to see them joined. I could play my klingon character and still contribute to my fleet, pick up stuff my fleet has unlocked etc.

Right now I feel bad even playing my klingon character since I don't contribute to my fleet while playing that character and I am not helping unlock stuff my characters could use and could help others also.
  • Options
    tinkerstormtinkerstorm Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    So make the Klingon Empire another subservient fraction to the Terran Empire, just as the Romulan Empire has been subjugated?
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    So make the Klingon Empire another subservient fraction to the Terran Empire, just as the Romulan Empire has been subjugated?

Well that was fast. Usually second or third page before that tired whine. Getting a jump on things I guess?
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I don't see why it would be subservient in any way. Just say the war is over, peace has broken out and they are allies again. As a result they share resources so they can join the same fleets to take on much more important threats. Overall the borg or undine are a far larger threat to both the federation and klingons. They should be working together to share technology and go after more serious threats.
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    "Merging" the two factions would make a lot of wasted fleet. Many fleet have a sister fleet in the other faction, and it's usually less developed.
    Some fleet doesn't have a sister fleet, and a lot of people would simply leave them to join their alt's/main's fleet.

For example, someone may have a very nice fed fleet, with everything he want, and his Klingon is with a smaller fleet. He may leave his KDF fleet, to join the fed fleet. Making small fleet even smaller, and a lot less KDF fleets.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    razar2380razar2380 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    erei1 wrote: »
    "Merging" the two factions would make a lot of wasted fleet. Many fleet have a sister fleet in the other faction, and it's usually less developed.
    Some fleet doesn't have a sister fleet, and a lot of people would simply leave them to join their alt's/main's fleet.

For example, someone may have a very nice fed fleet, with everything he want, and his Klingon is with a smaller fleet. He may leave his KDF fleet, to join the fed fleet. Making small fleet even smaller, and a lot less KDF fleets.

What if they could trade in the unwanted fleet for more exp in the other one? If the other one is maxed out, then a trade in for provisions.

Being able to merge them would make sense as far as the stories go. For example, when you go into the STFs, and a lot of PVE, you can fight with the Klingon faction. It proves that they are willing to work together for the greater good.

In the past, the movies and series have shown that both the Federation and Klingon are an awesome force. In fact, the Undine saw the combined forces as a threat. If done properly, I think it can make the game a lot more fun.

Also, I know some who like the looks of the Klingon SB better than the Federation's. They can merge into whichever one they like.

Also, it doesn't mean that the Klingon will be in subjection to the Federation. In fact, the Romulans are not more subjugated by one over the other. It will simply be a much larger family.

It can also make up for the Klingons lacking the number of members.

It may not be a good idea, but I think it could be good.
    Leader of Elite Guardian Academy.Would you like to learn how to run a fleet? Would you like to know how to do ship builds (true budget as well as high end)?The join the Academy today!
  • Options
    ktetchktetch Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    How about a compromise. (I do am in a fleet which covers both sides)

I don't care much about the 'fleet projects', that should stay separate, but I do miss the fleet interaction.

how about Fleet owners can designate a 'partner fleet'. So, let's say there's FleetF and FleetK. normally if you're in FleetK, you're put to an instance with other FleetK players, and their names are highlighted. And you have the fleet channel. So now you can talk to the FleetF players via the fleet channel, and see them highlighted in instances.

That's my biggest peeve sorted.
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Well that was fast. Usually second or third page before that tired whine. Getting a jump on things I guess?

It may be a tired thing to bring up, but it is the truth.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    This is the 100th "let us make peace with the klingons/romulans/UFP" thread I've seen. And from what I've seen, they all end up with a firm and concise "no".
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
  • Options
    macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited December 2013
    Not going to be happen as this is a huge change. Have you seen Cryptic making other big changes? LoR was just a mini faction and look how much effort that was. Unless they decide to remove KDF one day ... which would TRIBBLE off thousands of players, myself included.

What you are going to get is more of this BS cooperation? By comparison, the new Star Trek movies have been steadily moving to war with Klingons ... which makes them more interesting. Too bad Cryptic couldn't be bothered to do the conflict justice with the right kind of content.
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • Options
    eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited December 2013

If you guys actually read the mission logs in the game, the two factions have stopped openly fighting each other since the middle part of the UFP's Klingon War storyline and in the Romulan storylines, both factions are actually working together. Yes, there are a few missions where both sides raid on each other, but nothing that would actually be considered open fighting.

In fact, the two factions are allied in the Dyson sphere.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    It just seems that PvP of Fed vs Klingon is pretty much dead and having them as opposing factions continues to cause problems. The klingon faction is not played anywhere near as much and a lot of the content created for it is not getting much usage. If the war ended and anyone could pilot any fed or klingon ship it seems that it would sell more ships, make fleets stronger, encourage people to try other groups because they could still remain in their same fleet etc.
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited December 2013

Well obviously I largely disagree, but then I don't enjoy fighting and think this so-called war is little more than J'mpok's temper-tantrum. Furthermore, there's never any real justification for such protests, just apparently people who like pretending they're Klingons and finding some kind of justification to pick fights for the heck of it. Then they'll bring up root beer or 'at least the Borg are honest' thinking they're being witty or original, but really its kinda pathetic since they never actually offer any kind of logical evidence why their way is better, just the usual pablums and chest-thumping idiocy. Its particularly bad when you consider the OP looks pretty new to the boards and hasn't seen the many other threads, and a genuine intellectual discussion might be interesting, but it (like so many others) will end up being shouted down. Disappointing, really.
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    macronius wrote: »
    Not going to be happen as this is a huge change. Have you seen Cryptic making other big changes? LoR was just a mini faction and look how much effort that was. Unless they decide to remove KDF one day ... which would TRIBBLE off thousands of players, myself included.

What you are going to get is more of this BS cooperation? By comparison, the new Star Trek movies have been steadily moving to war with Klingons ... which makes them more interesting. Too bad Cryptic couldn't be bothered to do the conflict justice with the right kind of content.

But Geko said in his podcasts that they were thinking of ending the war. But they absolutely don't have to remove the KDF in order to do it. The only thing they would have to change is the ability to normally team up in events, that's it.

Prior to endgame, the storyline still says there is a war. Then when a player gets to the Tier 4 stories, we get more storylines that say the war is ending due to the discovery that the Iconians are the ones pulling strings (like how the Federation came to stop the fighting with the Klingons in DS9), then they unite the three great powers to fight on a unified front.

PvP doesn't need to change at all, since its a "war game" and the Klingons would still be intact as a faction.

This would really benefit Klingon players since the Klingon queues are dead and it would allow them to participate in Fleet Actions and Adventure zones like Defera in normal teams.
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    immudzen wrote: »
    I have a klingon character but I find I pretty much never play them because they are not in the same fleet. At this point we are at war with so many other species I wish the war with the klingons would just be over.

I wish that we could just have klingons in the same fleets as the rest of our characters and could even fly each others ships.

So basically you love the half-assed Romulan "fraction" so much you think we should make the Klingons into such a fraction and make the entire game "Federation and their loving allies online?"

Even ignoring PvP like the devs, the whole "opportunistic cold war" thing suits the entire Trek setting better than any bogus peace like those shown in any of the movies or shows. (Which were, y'know, always based on the Klingons "just putting up with it" until they saw enough advantage to some potentially war-starting act to make a move anyway.)

This would be a step backwards on par with Homo Sapiens devolving to Homo Erectus.

No. Just...no.
  • Options
    westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,247 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Regardless of the few people who don't want the war to end it will end relatively soon, as in sometime next year in all likely hood. Geko said they were already thinking about how to do it.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • Options
    philipclaybergphilipclayberg Member Posts: 1,680
    edited December 2013
    The fleet I'm in has a federation and a klingon version, the federation version is extremely active and completes fleet projects every day. where as the klingon version hasn't completed a fleet project for months and no one is ever on.

I'm in the exact opposite situation. Klingon fleet is the active one, while Federation fleet is the slightly active one (and no, I'm not leaving it to join a more active FED fleet; if you've seen "Firefly", you'll understand why I prefer to stick with a fleet called the Browncoats Brigade Command; small doesn't mean extinct). I use my KDF Orion far more often than I use my FED human and FED-allied Romulan (ratio of at least 3:1 or 4:1 in favor of KDF). It didn't use to be that way, but after I created my KDF Orion and she reached level 50, I found that there was far more to do with her. Maybe once her personal rep projects and commendations all reach Tier 4 or 5 I'll change my mind, but I don't think so. And for those who keep insisting that the KDF side is dead as a doornail, I couldn't disagree more.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    eldarion79 wrote: »
    If you guys actually read the mission logs in the game, the two factions have stopped openly fighting each other since the middle part of the UFP's Klingon War storyline and in the Romulan storylines, both factions are actually working together. Yes, there are a few missions where both sides raid on each other, but nothing that would actually be considered open fighting.

In fact, the two factions are allied in the Dyson sphere.

I know about how Cryptic has half-heartedly implemented the latest Federation-Klingon War. It's idiotic, IMO. When this game came out, Crpytic of course forced it down on us. I was quite against it because the Federation-Klingon Alliance lasted for almost all of DS9, TNG, and was a winning formula for the Dominion War.

But, in the early days of STO, it was working out fine. There was much wider PVP participation and all that. Believe it or not, there were SOOO many Feds lining up for PVP that there was a long line queueing in. Even the large KDF population then (though still smaller than Fed side) were not numerous enough to keep it rolling.

Also, conflict between the Federation and Klingon Empire *is* classic Star Trek. For practically the entirety of TOS and its associated movies, both major powerhouses were at odds with each other, oftenly in open conflict. Even Kirk in those TOS episodes, the one in particular with Kor and the Organians, was much more aggressive than usual and was down for open war to resume between the Federation and Klingons (but the Organians stopped it). You even have parts when the alliance was threatening to break down (TNG Klingon episodes, esp. the Duras arcs) which would have shifted the balance of power and peace in the quadrant. You even had a short segment in DS9 where the alliance did break down, albeit temporarily (Gowron was going crazy out of jealousy for not leading military campaigns).

The conflict is more old school Trek, IMO, but it surfaces every now and then. The war, IMO, could serve as a great backdrop for PVP and PVE. For PVP it's obvious as a focal point to fight over things. For PVE, there can be good story arcs.

Being a Fed captain for instance, in a remote sector that is now under heavy attack by the Klingons, due to Starfleet pulling forces away from your area to be used in an offensive somewhere. You're dealing with numerous Klingon raids behind the lines that try to cause chaos and disruption while a strike fleet is impending. The defending Starfleet forces are thinly stretched. Will the forces be destroyed? Will they hold on until reinforcements arrive? Will they have to retreat out of the sector? Will they delay and bloody the Klingons enough for a counteroffensive later on?

On a Klingon side of a story, you can be part of a major military offensive into Federation space. You are progressing along then along comes some Starfleet ship that is disrupting the offensive at key portions, stalling things over all. You come to grips with this ship and learn that it is led by a very good officer and crew. Across the campaign this ship is causing major problems. You, as a celebrated officer in the Empire, take this opportunity to find and finally deal with such a worthy foe. The campaign is about you doing things to catch this foe to lead into a climactic battle. I put this idea along the lines of Jadzia Dax stating that Koloth had regrets of never facing Kirk in battle.

Anyways, the Federation-Klingon War could work very well, it's just Cryptic is busy implementing the "Monster of the Month" so to say. When I say that, I mean Cryptic puts in a new race that is supposedly dangerous, but after a few missions, you never hear from them again. Breen, Tholians, Undine/Species 8472, even the Dominion, are all distant memories. The Elachi? For supposedly being so dangerous, unless you were playing Romulan, you never really dealt with them (horrible game design, Cryptic, HORRIBLE). The same will happen to the Voth when the next rep, the next "Great new threat to the Alpha Quadrant!" arises, and everyone moves like locusts to it.

The PROBLEM is that Cryptic does a terrible job in expanding on anything. The Federation-Klingon War is just the first example of this happening. Alot of things can be done with this war as the backdrop, to further differentiated the fundamental differences between the Klingon Empire and the Federation. More things to show this rivalry between the 2 of the 3 original powerhouses of Star Trek (since Cryptic neutered the Romulans into a subservient race... ugh).

The war I think is a gold mine of goodness for STO, it's just Cryptic refuses to mine it.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I know about how Cryptic has half-heartedly implemented the latest Federation-Klingon War. It's idiotic, IMO. When this game came out, Crpytic of course forced it down on us. I was quite against it because the Federation-Klingon Alliance lasted for almost all of DS9, TNG, and was a winning formula for the Dominion War.

But, in the early days of STO, it was working out fine. There was much wider PVP participation and all that. Believe it or not, there were SOOO many Feds lining up for PVP that there was a long line queueing in. Even the large KDF population then (though still smaller than Fed side) were not numerous enough to keep it rolling.

Also, conflict between the Federation and Klingon Empire *is* classic Star Trek. For practically the entirety of TOS and its associated movies, both major powerhouses were at odds with each other, oftenly in open conflict. Even Kirk in those TOS episodes, the one in particular with Kor and the Organians, was much more aggressive than usual and was down for open war to resume between the Federation and Klingons (but the Organians stopped it). You even have parts when the alliance was threatening to break down (TNG Klingon episodes, esp. the Duras arcs) which would have shifted the balance of power and peace in the quadrant. You even had a short segment in DS9 where the alliance did break down, albeit temporarily (Gowron was going crazy out of jealousy for not leading military campaigns).

The conflict is more old school Trek, IMO, but it surfaces every now and then. The war, IMO, could serve as a great backdrop for PVP and PVE. For PVP it's obvious as a focal point to fight over things. For PVE, there can be good story arcs.

Being a Fed captain for instance, in a remote sector that is now under heavy attack by the Klingons, due to Starfleet pulling forces away from your area to be used in an offensive somewhere. You're dealing with numerous Klingon raids behind the lines that try to cause chaos and disruption while a strike fleet is impending. The defending Starfleet forces are thinly stretched. Will the forces be destroyed? Will they hold on until reinforcements arrive? Will they have to retreat out of the sector? Will they delay and bloody the Klingons enough for a counteroffensive later on?

On a Klingon side of a story, you can be part of a major military offensive into Federation space. You are progressing along then along comes some Starfleet ship that is disrupting the offensive at key portioins, stalling things over all. You come to grips with this ship and learn that it is led by a very good officer and crew. Across the campaign this ship is causing major problems. You, as a celebrated officer in the Empire, take this opportunity to find and finally deal with such a worthy foe. The campaign is about you doing things to catch this foe to lead into a climactic battle. I put this idea along the lines of Jadzia Dax stating that Koloth had regrets of never facing Kirk in battle.

Anyways, the Federation-Klingon War could work very well, it's just Cryptic is busy implementing the "Monster of the Month" so to say. When I say that, I mean Cryptic puts in a new race that is supposedly dangerous, but after a few missions, you never hear from them again. Breen, Tholians, Undine/Species 8472, even the Dominion, are all distant memories. The Elachi? For supposedly being so dangerous, unless you were playing Romulan, you never really dealt with them (horrible game design, Cryptic, HORRIBLE). The same will happen to the Voth when the next rep, the next "Great new threat to the Alpha Quadrant!" arises, and everyone moves like locusts to it.

The PROBLEM is that Cryptic does a terrible job in expanding on anything. The Federation-Klingon War is just the first example of this happening. Alot of things can be done with this war as the backdrop, to further differentiated the fundamental differences between the Klingon Empire and the Federation. More things to show this rivalry between the 2 of the 3 original powerhouses of Star Trek (since Cryptic neutered the Romulans into a subservient race... ugh).

The war I think is a gold mine of goodness for STO, it's just Cryptic refuses to mine it.
    /signed
    I couldn't have said it better. :)
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    zipagatzipagat Member Posts: 1,204 Arc User
    edited December 2013

On a Klingon side of a story, you can be part of a major military offensive into Federation space. You are progressing along then along comes some Starfleet ship that is disrupting the offensive at key portions, stalling things over all. You come to grips with this ship and learn that it is led by a very good officer and crew. Across the campaign this ship is causing major problems. You, as a celebrated officer in the Empire, take this opportunity to find and finally deal with such a worthy foe. The campaign is about you doing things to catch this foe to lead into a climactic battle. I put this idea along the lines of Jadzia Dax stating that Koloth had regrets of never facing Kirk in battle.

Nailed it in one. This game had so much potential but Cryptic are too busy with new bad guy of the month (and new grind reputation of the season) to do anything with all the story threads in game already.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Another thing I'd like to point out with the war is that there are chances for poignant areas in a story. Remember, quite a bit of the experienced members of Starfleet, Klingon Empire, and even parts of the Romulan Republic's Navy, are old enough to potentially have served during the Dominion War as allies. This hold easily true for the longer-lived races like Vulcans, Romulans, Klingons, etc. This can work for humans too, as they could have been very junior Starfleet officers during the war. And now these once-allies that have fought alongside each other during the Dominion War are now killing each other.

Something STO has never touched on.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    What is this War people keep talking about WHAT WAR!!! there is no war...only the War of the voices in your heads....What was that???.....the wind
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    razar2380razar2380 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I see that a lot of people are making the assumption that peace between the Klingons and Federation means that there can not be any conflict between them, or that the Klingons will be pets of the Federation.

The Romulans were done like they were because they have no home world. They did have to choose to side with either KDF or Fed for the support, and future safety of their race. For anyone who properly remember TOS movies, in one of them the Klingons had to do the same.

When the Klingons agreed to peace, it did mean that they were not to attack the members of the Federation. However, that doesn't mean that they were subjugated to the Federation. They still had their own government, and could have decided to end the peace treaty any time they wanted, as was seen by DS9. They were in no way enslaved.

It is the same with the Romulans. In fact, it is the Romulans that are in charge of things in the Dyson Sphere. The Federation and Klingons are helping them with securing it.

About future conflicts being ended, that doesn't need to happen. The Klingons are set up in different houses. Just because there is peace between the two factions, that doesn't mean that all the Klingon houses have to agree. Likewise, there will still be members of the Federation that will not agree with this decision. Maybe they lost loved ones, or friends in the war.

What does this mean? It means that if there is peace, not all Klingon fleets need to accept Klingons. Even now, I know of some fleets that refuse to accept Romulan characters to their fleet. There is no in game law that says they are required to.

Also, like in the series, there were Klingon star bases while there was a treaty between them and the Federation. None of the Klingon fleets will need to accept a Federation character, or merge their fleet with one.

All that peace, with the "option" to merge them will do is allow other fleets to do so if they like.

I do think that since they didn't let the Romulans have access to level 40+ ships from other factions, then they shouldn't do it with the Klingons. However, it would incourage many more to play as Klingons, and buy more of their ships. Honestly, I like the looks of the Romulan, and KDF ships better than the Federation ones.

So, peace doesn't have to mean any race is subjugated to another.
    Leader of Elite Guardian Academy.Would you like to learn how to run a fleet? Would you like to know how to do ship builds (true budget as well as high end)?The join the Academy today!
  • Options
    janetza#4790 janetza Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I would like to restart war in full power. New pve content were feds fight klingons or klingon battlezone. Territory control, even pve one, would be good. Enjoyed game atmosphere of old sto, very this war actually was.

In-game handle @Janetza
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    taut0u wrote: »
    I would like to restart war in full power. New pve content were feds fight klingons or klingon battlezone. Territory control, even pve one, would be good. Enjoyed game atmosphere of old sto, very this war actually was.

With True Territory control and not this PvE version of Capture and Hold that they have with the Sphere.
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    But Geko said in his podcasts that they were thinking of ending the war. But they absolutely don't have to remove the KDF in order to do it. The only thing they would have to change is the ability to normally team up in events, that's it.

Prior to endgame, the storyline still says there is a war. Then when a player gets to the Tier 4 stories, we get more storylines that say the war is ending due to the discovery that the Iconians are the ones pulling strings (like how the Federation came to stop the fighting with the Klingons in DS9), then they unite the three great powers to fight on a unified front.

PvP doesn't need to change at all, since its a "war game" and the Klingons would still be intact as a faction.

This would really benefit Klingon players since the Klingon queues are dead and it would allow them to participate in Fleet Actions and Adventure zones like Defera in normal teams.

Yeah. I imagine the end of the war will be a final war offensive as a Battlezone with and associated reputation and cutscenes, with maybe bigger than usual rewards and slightly easier than usual rep progress to really get everyone to the other side of the war while milking it for repeatable gameplay.
  • Options
    endorfinatorendorfinator Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    If I would to end the war, I would rework the beginning story lines such as the Fed Klingon war, ending with some mission involving either Iconians or Undine, the Feds and Klingons collectively realizing they have been duped into fighting each other, transitioning into a semi- unstable peace. This could explain confrontations later, each side still a little suspicious of each other and occasionally attacking each other, but could allow for coexsistance and a more reasonable story line later on in the endgame.
  • Options
    elvnswordselvnswords Member Posts: 184 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    IDEA:
    Perhaps what is needed is not a war, but a government mandated cease fire. With the Klingons that will never take across board, there will still be raiding, and still be reason for Feds to attack rogue space stations, pirates and what not.

This grants the best of both worlds, we can have allied Klingons joining fleets, and working in officer exchange programs (I suggest a series of missions to change to a Federation Friendly Klingon, or a Pirate former Federation).

Anyone who played City of Heroes at it's height will remember the alignment system there, and frankly a lot could be learned from that. For those not clear on it, you could earn Tip Missions through random drops, each of those missions had a moral decision to be made, this could push you toward Hero or Villain, after a number of such missions you could do a mission to formerly declare yourself another alignment, and in the other faction.

What this would mean for ST:O is, in theory, a series of missions happen, making moral decisions neccasary by a Federation Captain. When he completes the arc he chooses at the end to remain loyal to the Federation or become an outcast pirate, taking his Ship and Crew to the frontiers.
    Perhaps a flotilla of such ships could become they're hub.

The Klingons would have a series of attacks and missions where they choose how to proceed. Eventually they have to choose whether to seek greater glory as a pirate, and outcast (as the Doras sisters did), or to follow the commands of Klingon High Command and become more, peaceable.

I think these should be repeatable, and different chooses should be encouraged by a series of accolades. You can join any fleet on the side your currently on, and aren't removed from it unless you choose to be. A Federation Pirate could remain a Fleet member, or quit and join a Klingon Fleet.