test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Freaking Stop

mynameisnommynameisnom Member Posts: 639 Arc User
edited December 2013 in The Academy
Ok wtf is up, server is laggy as hell i've now been afk penaltied because i havent been able to do squat since my ship looks like it belongs on one of those teacup rides with a boeing 747 engine attached to it. Stop "fixing TRIBBLE" cuz all you're doing is breaking more.
[SIGPIC]http://s286.photobucket.com/user/parasite_12000/media/jub_zps9318ae82.jpg.html[/SIGPIC]
stoutes wrote: »
Those fish are much like their masters, filthy backstabbers... All battlecloaked fish, waiting for the right moment...
The boss being a gigantic Winter Epohh Researcher. As you lay waste to the Epohh Horde, she can occasionally cry out things like, "Didn't you want an Epohh friend?"
Post edited by mynameisnom on

Comments

• fenr00kfenr00k Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Have you considered that may it's either your computer that's lagging or your connection to the server that's introducing lag, rather than the actually server lagging?

I've had NO lag at all in over a week for example, and if the problem was server side EVERYBODY would experience the same lag. The last time I had any lag, my connection was playing up giving me high latency issues. It's more likely that either a) your pc is having problems running STO, or b) your connection to the server (by this I mean somewhere along the route between your connection to the internet and the server, NOT your actual internet connection) is flawed.

Don't be so fast to blame the server.
  • grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Sounds like you need to look at this thread...

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=225155
  • norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    as a general rule of thumb, if the servers were unplayable due to an issue, there would be ... well a lot more than one post about it. I have seen a total of maybe 2 people complain about it today. If the server were hosed up, that number would be like 500.

Also a general rule of thumb, if a new patch/update suddenly causes your machine to have fits, its one of 2 things. Its either the above (server, or the client, are broken and *everyone* has a problem) or your computer has a problem with the new content (this almost always means you need to update your graphics card driver, or possibly your operating system, or rarely, other drivers). If your computer is older and weaker, new content may be too much for it, and you may have to reduce your graphics settings -- this is much more rare, but after 5+ years, games tend to upgrade their graphics quality which demands more of the hardware, so a pc that ran the day 1 release of the game just barely may struggle with an expansion a decade later. Finally, your ISP could have choked -- many a time, an ISP will be upgrading hardware and that does not do too much to typical web users but can trash the performance of games. Or you could have some other web related issue, some router between you and cryptic has the hiccups, for example. Stuff happens. Some of these issues you can look into and try to fix (drivers, etc) and some are out of your hands until the third party (ISP, router owner, whoever) buys new hardware and gets it set up properly.
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited December 2013
  • t0xsick2t0xsick2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Not to try and sound condescending, but i agree with the posts above. I pay for a very good broadband connection and can usually tell if its me or STO lagging. STO as far as connecting goes has been tip top for me, besides a random hick up here and there. I'd look closer to home for any connectivity problems.
  • oneandonlyrecceoneandonlyrecce Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    While it does seem harsh that you are getting the penalty when through no fault of your own you were unable to contribute to the outcome of the STF.

I can understand that the lagging was a surprise for the 1st STF. But why did you need to queue up for a 2nd STF? You were likely to still be lagging massively and still unable to contribute to the mission.
  • brewtolomusbrewtolomus Member Posts: 277
    edited December 2013
    Ok wtf is up, server is laggy as hell i've now been afk penaltied because i havent been able to do squat since my ship looks like it belongs on one of those teacup rides with a boeing 747 engine attached to it. Stop "fixing TRIBBLE" cuz all you're doing is breaking more.

Until yesterday this game has been running very smoothly. But I was rubberbanding on the ground and in space.
    Had to call it quits early.
    It is not my machine, I have a relatively badass pc. Not the newest tech, but it's more than capable of running almost any game with no problem.

I'm thinking it's got to be my ISP, because I noticed my internetz was a bit laggy last night as well.
  • captainpirkocaptainpirko Member Posts: 270 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    servers have been a little more rubbery then normal. i can still play fairly well, but servers occasionally spaz out and i suddenly teleport backwards a few feet. i have the fastest internet that my ISP offers, but it still lags from time to time. i used tracert, and i have a 56 ms travel time. i'm pretty sure it's something on cryptics end just randomly lagging out, as everything else i have doesnt have that problem. my skype calls dont have any problems when STO has one of it's mini seizures.

to the OP however, if you have that kind of lag, why did you even queue? you must have noticed the lag before you queued. do people log on, and instantly queue up for things? why would you do that? if the lag only starts when you get into ISE or something, its likely your computer is lagging do to graphical issues, which has nothing to do with internet.

i can have a 3-way skype call running, streaming music, and downloading another game in steam all while playing STO, and not have any problem. but sometimes on max graphics, torpedo spread 3 causes my laptop to pause for half a second. when this happens i just lower my graphics settings. if you're getting alot of lag ingame, check your graphics and make sure they're at the lowest. if that does nothing to change the problem, its an internet thing.
    [SIGPIC]Timelords Fleet [/SIGPIC]
  • edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    STO maybe can be really messy with updates and so many bugs, but one thing is true, the servers are really stable compared with other games. I played a lot of online games, and i never suffered lag issues on STO, not like other games. So maybe its just your connection, becasue STO is not a laggy game. I give it that. The cryptic team is really crappy when we talk about solving bugs, but the servers are really good, or at least that is wat i noticed since i start playing.

Yes, i suffered those "teleport back" issues, but those issues happens maybe once in a few days, or not even in a week at all no big deal xD. U should play other games, you will think "ow, STO is really amazing, no lag at all xD". Those "teleport" back issues once in a few hours are normal in online action games, you need to live with it. It cant help it. And they are not a problem, since they last for a few seconds.

I only hope the guy author of this post is not another one of those who uses facebook, twitter, "facepalm" and a torrent client at the same time he plays xD, for example.
  • otowiotowi Member Posts: 600 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The teleporting back is actually called rubberbanding. This happens when the client think you're one place and the server think you are not. Basically the server and client are not in synch, thus it seems like you are hauled back a few meters when they re-synch.

Generally the servers are pretty stable, but I do get the occasional lag spike, where everything just stops for 10-30 seconds, but those luckily are far and few between.

Patch days can lead to the servers acting like they are on drugs, but that is MMO games servers for you, they do unexpected things from tome to time...
  • mynameisnommynameisnom Member Posts: 639 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I've neeeeeeever reallly had any problems, like sure maybe at night the internet gets bad for some odd reason, the server freezes about ONCE that day, but this is constant lag, which I've never had before, server not responding and server disconnecting all the freaking time.
    [SIGPIC]http://s286.photobucket.com/user/parasite_12000/media/jub_zps9318ae82.jpg.html[/SIGPIC]
    Those fish are much like their masters, filthy backstabbers... All battlecloaked fish, waiting for the right moment...
    The boss being a gigantic Winter Epohh Researcher. As you lay waste to the Epohh Horde, she can occasionally cry out things like, "Didn't you want an Epohh friend?"
  • fenr00kfenr00k Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Then I would suggest that you contact your ISP as it sounds like there's a problem on your connection.
    edited December 2013
    It is not a problem with my computer OR my network. It works fine anywhere else but the game. Unlike some I don't spend multiple hundreds or thousands to be able to play in best quality, but it still shouldn't be this bad.
  • jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited December 2013

We have about 10 people on TS all the time and 25 or so in prime time

no one is complaing about lag

The problem is on your end my friend
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
    edited December 2013
    It's definitely not, I think I would know if it was... It's not like I'm an alien to computer tech. I can tell when something's messed up and something is, but not in my computer, not with my modem or router
  • xxmaelstrom11xxmaelstrom11 Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2013
    I've neeeeeeever reallly had any problems, like sure maybe at night the internet gets bad for some odd reason, the server freezes about ONCE that day, but this is constant lag, which I've never had before, server not responding and server disconnecting all the freaking time.

I'm over Wi-Fi and I still don't experience lag. It's most definitely YOU, sir. Either your specs are too high and your getting just client side lag or its your connection.

But I do hope you realize that the time you've taken to post in the forums about the lag, you could have called your ISP, checked your router/modem, and game settings and probably gotten it fixed. Maybe you just don't have the computer for it?
  • grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It is not a problem with my computer OR my network. It works fine anywhere else but the game. Unlike some I don't spend multiple hundreds or thousands to be able to play in best quality, but it still shouldn't be this bad.
    It's definitely not, I think I would know if it was... It's not like I'm an alien to computer tech. I can tell when something's messed up and something is, but not in my computer, not with my modem or router
    Unless those other servers are located in the same physical location as the STO servers, this observation has very little meaning, as different locations on the Internet will have different performance metrics.

Your computer and your router may be OK, but that doesn't mean your ISP can support a quality connection to the STO servers. If you really think that there is nothing wrong with your setup, then why not run the 'Net Test' and 'Trace Route' Network diagnostic, described in this thread...

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=225155

... and post the results in the Tech Support forum and put your $$$ where your mouth is...
  • rainmotorsportsrainmotorsports Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013

Have you REALLY tested your ISP? For a long while one of the backbones my ISP goes through to get to STO was overloaded and was affecting me pretty badly.

Speed and Ping Tests are completely useless in diagnosing specific networking issues. Your traffic does not go from your ISP to the servers directly. Unless your actively monitoring every hop you might not see very much.

It might seem like its only STO but for me the majority of my providers traffic to other games, sites, voice servers was going through AT&T's backbone but for STO and Hulu the traffic was going through a different overloaded backbone and those 2 services would lag out or hang on frequent occasion.
  • smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Sounds like you are experiencing a PEBKAC error, contact tech support.
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It is entirely possible that your PC and network are fine, and even your ISP could be fine, and the problem could simply be that between YOU and the server, there is a sick router or overworked hub or something. It happens. The internet has a lot of strangeness --- for example, consider http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_hole_%28networking%29 ---- but you can see the server so it is not a black hole, that is just one example of strange issues that crop up sometimes.

What did trace route tell you? And, routes change, you have to run it WHEN you are having a problem.