test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

A New Foundry Author's Question... Popup chat and Objectives

Hailing frequencies open...

I'm working on my very first Foundry mission, and have been reading lots of great advice and watching tutorials that have been very helpful in getting me started, but I've hit a snag.

I'm sure this is Foundry 101 stuff, but I seriously can't figure it out. Here's the situation in the mission. The player has his first objective, a relatively simple task of scanning a satellite to see if has been damaged. He must then move along to his next objective of aiding a stranded vessel.

What I'd like to do is this. When he scans the satellite, he finds that it's fine, and doesn't need repair. I'd like a bridge officer to pop up and inform him of this, and then tell him of receiving a distress call from a nearby vessel, thereby giving him a second objective in the map. I can't for the life of me figure out how to do this. Is it a popup window? I don't see the option for that to work.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, and the dumbed-down version won't be offensive at all... I'm learning how to use this for the first time, so I'll need it to be put in simple terms. :D

Thanks!
Post edited by captainizzysmith on

Comments

• Options
    zorbanezorbane Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    There's two ways to do this

1. Put a dialogue pop up in the storyboard after the scan objective
    2. Put a dialogue pop up on the map which fires its hidden->visible trigger on component complete on the satellite.

There are pros and cons for both ways

Pros: It will prevent the next objective from showing up until the dialogue is complete
    Cons: You can't use the dialogue for dialogue reached triggers

Basically the opposite of #1
    StarbaseUGC Discord Chat
    Foundry Mission Database
    Check out my Foundry missions:
    Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
    Untitled Series - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - Commander Rihan
  • Options
    thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It's just a simple matter of adding a dialog after the first objective on the storyboard followed by the second objective. The only reason to use a map dialog is if you were trying to do something outside of the normal story flow.

Picture to illustrate
  • Options
    captainizzysmithcaptainizzysmith Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Ah, I see! Thank you both very much! And the illustration makes it much easier for me to understand, Greendragoon. I'll give that a try now, and let you know.

:D