test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Proton Barrage

beclourbeclour Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited February 2014 in PvP Gameplay
So I've been theorycrafting a few PVP builds for the upcoming new KDF ship and I ran into Proton Barrage on the dyson set.

I'm not a huge fan of the set, but the proton barrage description on the wiki looks interesting.
It seems like a mini-subnuc. That could be useful if my team lacks enough scis.

Any thoughts on its real value in PVP? Worth getting the set for it?
Post edited by beclour on

Comments

• realminirealmini Member Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    simply put yes.

specifically, HELL YES. 75k aoe thru shield crits anyone? up to 3 buffs stripped?

yummy
  • renimaltrenimalt Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It's quite powerful. Apply it at the beginning of an alpha for a 1-3 buff strip; with some luck, you might be able to wipe some of the more pesky buffs like TT or RSP. Or use it as the final trump card if they've somehow managed to survive your alpha; the raw damage isn't quite as high as a good BO, but it gets applied directly to hull instead of bouncing off of the just-healed shields of your target. Combine that with a 1:30 cooldown period, and it's one powerful ability.

It's even a little too powerful, I'd say...
    Resist viewer! See shield/hull resists! Read about it here!
  • beclourbeclour Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Great... Now I just have to decide if I want to give up the amazing adaptive resists on my fleet shields or [AMP] on my fleet core. Hard choice :(

Most likely going to give up the shields. Almost everyone runs AP now anyways so it shouldn't hurt TOO much.
    edited December 2013
    yup, owns
    [Combat (Self)] Your Proton Barrage deals 58629 (66004) Proton(Critical) to Janus.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    edit: Never mind...
  • majortiraomegamajortiraomega Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Heh, remember when folks were writing it off...and it was like, nah it looks good - just needs somebody to rock it. Mini rocked it! :P

I'm still waiting for Thissler to make a video demonstrating the ability's...unique properties. He could probably get a triple kill oneshot with it.
    --->Ground PvP Concerns Directory 4.0
    --->Ground Combat General Bugs Directory
    Real join date: March 2012 / PvP Veteran since May 2012 (Ground and Space)
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    i tried this out on some npcs on tribble a wile back, and not only was the effect basically invisible, it didn't seem to inflict any damage :confused:
  • majortiraomegamajortiraomega Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    i tried this out on some npcs on tribble a wile back, and not only was the effect basically invisible, it didn't seem to inflict any damage :confused:

Was that before they finished the ability? Back at Legacy of Romulus, the Refracting Tetryon Cascade did nothing when it first hit Tribble because Cryptic hadn't finished the ability or it's animations.
    --->Ground PvP Concerns Directory 4.0
    --->Ground Combat General Bugs Directory
    Real join date: March 2012 / PvP Veteran since May 2012 (Ground and Space)
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Was that before they finished the ability? Back at Legacy of Romulus, the Refracting Tetryon Cascade did nothing when it first hit Tribble because Cryptic hadn't finished the ability or it's animations.

like 3 weeks ago
  • borgresearcherborgresearcher Member Posts: 451 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    definitely, proton barrage needs a nerf, not in the damage, but in the capability tacs have to boost it. 10k prot?n barrage seems ok, but 60k critical its way too op

this behavior seems to keep happening, same happens with ramming speed, until tacs stop boosting stuff they shouldnt, every time someone uses this stuff, it's an exploit in my opinon, why can tacs make a 100k ramming speed and only take 20k damage ? there is no way to use subnuke and sensor scan or even miracle worker to get this effect.

devs, stop this until its too late ...
  • rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    ... but 60k critical its way too op

This is going to happen more and more because of all the [CrtD] we all now can easily get. I will say though, I've had 110k crits on my lance and that was before any rep or fleet item.
    this behavior seems to keep happening, same happens with ramming speed, until tacs stop boosting stuff they shouldnt, every time someone uses this stuff, it's an exploit in my opinon, why can tacs make a 100k ramming speed and only take 20k damage ? there is no way to use subnuke and sensor scan or even miracle worker to get this effect.

devs, stop this until its too late ...
    The ramming speed thing is TRIBBLE. I can't think of a single reason that should be possible without a huge stretch in reasoning.
  • shockwave85shockwave85 Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    How does this compliment Subnuke on a Sci captain? I was thinking it might be useful either as a mini-Subnuke while the real deal is on cooldown, or could be used as an extension of Subnuke if the target starts to get buffs up again before you can pop him.
    ssog-maco-sig.jpg
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    How does this compliment Subnuke on a Sci captain? I was thinking it might be useful either as a mini-Subnuke while the real deal is on cooldown, or could be used as an extension of Subnuke if the target starts to get buffs up again before you can pop him.

It really depends on if the person is running Elite Fleet Shields or not.

If a person is, then trying to use the SNB effect is pretty much pointless, as there's a good chance you will just strip a single resist buff from their shields. If they aren't though, it can be pretty strong if you get lucky with the extra buff strippings.

As for the damage issue, it really depends on damage dealt vs possible resists for Proton.

If it's dealing ridiculous level damage on a super-buff against any even decently resisting target, possibly even causing one-shots often and easily, then maybe it should be toned down. If however on the other end, the huge one-shotting examples are only the really rare cases, and only people like Mini can achieve, then it really isn't a huge deal because achieving it probably requires so much focused on it that it self-balances.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • borgresearcherborgresearcher Member Posts: 451 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    dont Forget ramming speed ... i just find that thing so op in the hands of a tac, they can boost it to 100k and kill anyone, and only take 20k hull damage ... other professions cant benefit from this innate skill that much, this needs balance

again, tacs can boost proton barrage up to incredible numbers, even if it doesnt crit, it will kill EVERYTHING if used with an alfa strike build, while me, a sci, can have an 8k prot?n barrage even with 4 proton consoles and i will likely die everytime i use ramming speed btw because this game is so inbalanced that the same INNATE skill benefits ones to the point of "i win button" and others to an "i die button" ... this is starting to seem like racism ...
  • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,290 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Hey if I ram my Jhdc Into your defiant I expect your defiant to crumple against my windshield.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • cronicus666cronicus666 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    mimey2 wrote: »
    It really depends on if the person is running Elite Fleet Shields or not.

If a person is, then trying to use the SNB effect is pretty much pointless, as there's a good chance you will just strip a single resist buff from their shields. If they aren't though, it can be pretty strong if you get lucky with the extra buff strippings.

As for the damage issue, it really depends on damage dealt vs possible resists for Proton.

If it's dealing ridiculous level damage on a super-buff against any even decently resisting target, possibly even causing one-shots often and easily, then maybe it should be toned down. If however on the other end, the huge one-shotting examples are only the really rare cases, and only people like Mini can achieve, then it really isn't a huge deal because achieving it probably requires so much focused on it that it self-balances.

Well for one we have no proton resistance stats so you can't realy mod resistance to it. Mu excelsior has composite resistance stats well above 40% and it's getting oneshoted by this skill so that should tell people something about it being an imbalanced ability.

Any skill that does 50k+ damage in a single hit that bypasses shields and strips three buffs needs to be toned down honestly no other set power is that powerful.
    edited February 2014
    then this happened

[Combat (Self)] Your Proton Barrage deals 5749 (71347) Proton(Critical) to Kira.

damn over hard cap 4 piece solana res special! 95% res! hax. well theres always that to stop proton, that and that alone..
  • playhard88playhard88 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    realmini wrote: »
    [Combat (Self)] Your Proton Barrage deals 58629 (66004) Proton(Critical) to Janus.

You know that posting things like that are u setting up the bases for a nerf right?

Those numbers are not realistic imo, those numbers are with a very-low hp gdf activation, with every posible buff active, and probably vs a crappy target

A dedicated proton build, vs a decent target usually do hit around 10-25k. Is not that op as people think. All the hype about proton is made by people that never did a single test about it.
    John Sheridan@playhard88 - FED Tactical
    Vin Naftero@playhard88 - FED Sciencie
    K'tan@playhard88 - KDF Tactical
    Argento@playhard88 - RRF Tactical (FED)
  • wolverine595959wolverine595959 Member Posts: 726
    edited February 2014
    In an alpha when all things click Proton Barrage and Casc Tet can make a differernce. In a private PvP last night I had an alpha that obliterated an Healboat I was in my raptor alpha was done the ship was at 5% my follow on attack killed it. I am running green hobo Rom Boffs.
    Hey I Used to be Captain Data, well I guess I still am in game but the account link really screwed everything up :rolleyes:
  • wolverine595959wolverine595959 Member Posts: 726
    edited February 2014
    playhard88 wrote: »
    You know that posting things like that are u setting up the bases for a nerf right?

Those numbers are not realistic imo, those numbers are with a very-low hp gdf activation, with every posible buff active, and probably vs a crappy target

A dedicated proton build, vs a decent target usually do hit around 10-25k. Is not that op as people think. All the hype about proton is made by people that never did a single test about it.

This is not going to end well. I am sure many will attest here very good PVp players have been victim of one of Mini's high damage builds whether its a vaper or the old Tricobalt Torp bomber.
    Hey I Used to be Captain Data, well I guess I still am in game but the account link really screwed everything up :rolleyes:
  • therealmttherealmt Member Posts: 428 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    yup, owns

So you drop 4 tac consoles to lose another 6.4% to an already low KDF critH rate.

Rely on a 1.30 minute tactic in the hopes of critting? lol.

gg

I'd rather vape with my 30-40K HYT1 torp hits and 50-60k consistent BOs ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • capthachicapthachi Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    then this happened

[Combat (Self)] Your Proton Barrage deals 5749 (71347) Proton(Critical) to Kira.

damn over hard cap 4 piece solana res special! 95% res! hax. well theres always that to stop proton, that and that alone..

What about my beautiful voth oh **** shield?
    -TaylorSwift - PvPs most hated sci
    -LindseyLohan - Under appreciated Rom Bug
    -EmiliaClarke - Under construction engi recluse