test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Dungeons & Gear

xxmaelstrom11xxmaelstrom11 Member Posts: 4
edited December 2013 in The Academy
So I was wondering, are there dungeons in STO? And what's the best way to get the best gear? I see these purple items on the stoacademy website but wonder how to get them.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• bds007bds007 Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    STO has missions that are space, ground, or mixed. The majority have combat but there are a few that are not such as some diplomatic and science missions.

Best gear is subjective as your play style will determine what you should use. As you might have seen, if you are only doing PVE, then the white gear is sufficient to level you to 50. That being said, the 'quickest' way to get Very Rare (purple) gear is to use real life money to purchase the item or something that can get you in-game currency (dilithium/lobi/energy credits) to acquire it.

You can also grind dilithium on a daily basis to do the above as well. As dilithium can be converted to Zen or Lobi (through a few steps) or energy credits (through a few steps). Or a combination of the two strategies: grinding/money

The three places you can acquire gear: Lobi store (acquire Lobi from opening lock boxes), Fleet Base/Spire/Embassy/Mine (use Fleet Marks and Dilithium), Exchange (energy credits).
  • majortiraomegamajortiraomega Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    So I was wondering, are there dungeons in STO? And what's the best way to get the best gear? I see these purple items on the stoacademy website but wonder how to get them.

Star Trek Online doesn't really have any "dungeons". Until you hit level 50, you are more than fine going off of gear you get in the missions or cheap gear off of the exchange. Once you hit level 50, you will probably want to optimize your ship and character. To do this you have two options; the reputation system and the fleet system. Reputation gear and Fleet gear are competitive with each other, you can do well in either. However, reputation gear typically comes in a set form, meaning if you equip pieces from that set together, you obtain the set bonus. Most sets have a two piece and a three piece bonus.

Now, Reputation gear is obtained by doing the reputation system, located by pressing the U key and going to the reputation tab. In order to advance the reputation system, players must play specific PvE missions to obtain marks. At each tier, specific pieces of reputation gear are unlocked. However, these gear items must be purchased with reputation marks and Dilithium.

Dilithium is a time based currency, players may refine a maximum of 8,000 dilithium per day (+500 extra if your are in a Fleet with a Tier III Mine), which makes the resource highly valuable. It's important to note that players may collect as much as they want per day, but they may only refine (i.e. make it useable) a limited quantity per day. Players may obtain Dilithium though most missions that also award reputation marks. However, if a player desires to make a large amount of Dilithium quickly, the best method for doing so is playing Elite Special Task Force (STF) Missions. STFs also award a very nice amount of Omega Force marks for the Task Force Omega Reputation. The other high payout method is the Dyson Ground Battlezone in the Dyson Sphere, reachable from the Tau Dewa Sector Block. If you are able to find a good team, it's quite easy to reach the needed 8,000 dilithium within an hour. However, the same can be said of STFs, some players can and will cap their daily dilithium off of a handful of quick STF runs.

The second form of gear is Fleet gear. In Star Trek Online, a fleet is equivalent to a guild in other MMOs. Fleet gear is unlocked by leveling fleet holdings together. A fleet with a higher tiered starbase will have access to exclusive fleet ships and gear items. Players may then buy these items with fleet credits (obtained by helping build the holdings through donations) and dilithium (yep, everything valuable costs dilithium).
    --->Ground PvP Concerns Directory 4.0
    --->Ground Combat General Bugs Directory
    Real join date: March 2012 / PvP Veteran since May 2012 (Ground and Space)
  • xxmaelstrom11xxmaelstrom11 Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2013
    Star Trek Online doesn't really have any "dungeons". Until you hit level 50, you are more than fine going off of gear you get in the missions or cheap gear off of the exchange. Once you hit level 50, you will probably want to optimize your ship and character. To do this you have two options; the reputation system and the fleet system. Reputation gear and Fleet gear are competitive with each other, you can do well in either. However, reputation gear typically comes in a set form, meaning if you equip pieces from that set together, you obtain the set bonus. Most sets have a two piece and a three piece bonus.

Now, Reputation gear is obtained by doing the reputation system, located by pressing the U key and going to the reputation tab. In order to advance the reputation system, players must play specific PvE missions to obtain marks. At each tier, specific pieces of reputation gear are unlocked. However, these gear items must be purchased with reputation marks and Dilithium.

Dilithium is a time based currency, players may refine a maximum of 8,000 dilithium per day (+500 extra if your are in a Fleet with a Tier III Mine), which makes the resource highly valuable. It's important to note that players may collect as much as they want per day, but they may only refine (i.e. make it useable) a limited quantity per day. Players may obtain Dilithium though most missions that also award reputation marks. However, if a player desires to make a large amount of Dilithium quickly, the best method for doing so is playing Elite Special Task Force (STF) Missions. STFs also award a very nice amount of Omega Force marks for the Task Force Omega Reputation. The other high payout method is the Dyson Ground Battlezone in the Dyson Sphere, reachable from the Tau Dewa Sector Block. If you are able to find a good team, it's quite easy to reach the needed 8,000 dilithium within an hour. However, the same can be said of STFs, some players can and will cap their daily dilithium off of a handful of quick STF runs.

The second form of gear is Fleet gear. In Star Trek Online, a fleet is equivalent to a guild in other MMOs. Fleet gear is unlocked by leveling fleet holdings together. A fleet with a higher tiered starbase will have access to exclusive fleet ships and gear items. Players may then buy these items with fleet credits (obtained by helping build the holdings through donations) and dilithium (yep, everything valuable costs dilithium).

Wow, lots of ways to do it. Is there a common practice or a "best" way to get the gear from the options you provided?
  • majortiraomegamajortiraomega Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Wow, lots of ways to do it. Is there a common practice or a "best" way to get the gear from the options you provided?
    There is no one common way to obtain gear, it really depends on what ship you fly and what you are looking to do with your captain

For me personally, when I need to gear up a character I look over the existing starships ingame on Star Trek Online Wiki (link) After selecting a ship for a character I then look over the existing sets within Star Trek Online. http://sto.gamepedia.com/Sets After looking though the sets, I decide on what pieces my ship will need, and I prioritize completing that reputation system.

If you are looking to gear up fast, I'd suggest simply doing the Dyson Joint Command reputation system. The system is designed to be friendly to new players while also gearing them up quickly. All you really need to do is spend about an hour in the Voth Ground Battlezone once and a while to get what you need to advance the system. After that, you are free to focus on the rest of the game. Over time however, I'd suggest working on completing all of the reputation systems, the passives alone can be quite rewarding.
    --->Ground PvP Concerns Directory 4.0
    --->Ground Combat General Bugs Directory
    Real join date: March 2012 / PvP Veteran since May 2012 (Ground and Space)