test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why are players so disapproving of Thalaron pulse?

2»

Comments

• macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited December 2013
    It takes you 24 seconds just to fire the thing AND get the full DoT damage out of it. You are a Scimitar. In that time, the mission could be nearly over.

LOL. This! Look if you enjoy the thalaron then have at it. Just be aware that you are gimping your DPS pretty badly. Even an average Scmimitar build for a tac should cross 10K without any trouble. A good build should get over 20K and aux2bat spam bot should get much more.

Suddenly your thalaron burst is not looking all that hot is it? Also, to get it you sacrificed quite a few consoles. Assuming you did this in the science slots I have (I hope not engineering or tac lol):

1) Plasmonic leech
    2) Valdore console
    3) Tachyokinetic (or field generator as needed)

and engineering I have 2* armor consoles with turn. So nowhere to put the gimmick c-store consoles. It is another reason I didn't get the 3-pack ... and I don't miss them.
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • varnoukhvarnoukh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    stonewbie wrote: »
    You cant have a discussion about why people dont like a certain piece of gear and not talk about builds, stats and effects. What were you expecting? were you expecting people to say they dont like thalaron pulse because of the color of its beam?

Indeed.

Haven't used it myself but it's clear the vast majority of players find it to be an inferior use of console slots. Owning lots of other c-store ships I know that's true of a lot of them. So I don't find those claims difficult to believe.

But I do wonder how science captains, with points spent in the requisite skills and using the pulse in a Tulwar, with its 5 science consoles, feel about it?

12 seconds to fire. No damage being done? A science captain could pop feedback pulse which lasts for 15 seconds. And if they've got the science captain exotic damage trait then being hit 3 times by energy blasts would boost the pulse's damage 30%.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    For a PVE perspective, used and prepared correctly, Thalaron Pulse is wonderful. It does not do the sheer amount of few or single target damage as Elachi Barrage (which does more damage the fewer targets there are), but it hits and does good damage on everything in the AOE.

For a PVP perspective, unless you're in a good team, Thalaron Pulse will get you killed, quickly. This is due to being stationary and not being able to use other abilities while you're getting pounded. In PVP, even a sturdy ship like a Scimitar will go down quick if not played right. Even in PVE, if not set correctly before hitting Thalaron Pulse, you'll go down quick. RSP right before hitting Thalaron will help tremendously, as will Polarize Hull / Hazard Emitters for the resists.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    varnoukh wrote: »
    Indeed.

Haven't used it myself but it's clear the vast majority of players find it to be an inferior use of console slots. Owning lots of other c-store ships I know that's true of a lot of them. So I don't find those claims difficult to believe.

But I do wonder how science captains, with points spent in the requisite skills and using the pulse in a Tulwar, with its 5 science consoles, feel about it?

12 seconds to fire. No damage being done? A science captain could pop feedback pulse which lasts for 15 seconds. And if they've got the science captain exotic damage trait then being hit 3 times by energy blasts would boost the pulse's damage 30%.

Thats like driving a Volvo instead of an Ferrari because the Volvo has more room for enhancement. Still, it wont get nowhere near the Ferrari.
    In the end you might have a more powerful Thalaron pulse, but a way less powerful ship. Not a good trade.

That aside, Feedbackpulse vs. Borg is not really effective, sind Borg Energy Weapons are not really powerful, their maindamage -which kills you- is kinetic, and that isnt reflected.
  • umiharayuuumiharayuu Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    tilarta wrote: »
    Whenever I've mentioned I'm a fan of Thalaron pulse, some players have responded negatively.

I use the pulse as soon as it's ready in STF's and things where there's a lot of targets on the screen. 12sec is not that bad when you engage secondary shields, Quantum Absorbtion, Tac. Team, Aux battery with some purple PG consoles.

35k - 90k [40k avg] (I have no PG skill yet) each on 8 targets at 10km in 12 seconds is pretty good in PvE.

Been meaning to PG up my Falcion to see if there's a big change in damage. I'll leave that for a Romulan SCI though. (I'm an ENG)

Not to mention you can always cloak and wait for the red alert to go away and swap consoles mid battle.
    www.RIHANNSU.org
    Romulan Institute

D'Galan - Engineer
  • ianluxorianluxor Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Waiting 12 Seconds to fire in an aux2bat Scimi is just a waste of time - period. In that time you could do a lot of damage broadside.