test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So we are still waiting... *maint. complete*

xaosmg123xaosmg123 Member Posts: 70 Arc User
They said 10am PST - and now it was pushed back an hour. Now another hour - so 12pm PST is the "supposed" finish time of STO's maintenance.

Anyone else wondering why maintenance needs to be extended 2 hrs - for only TWO things:

1) turn off the Lobi Crystal x15 rewarded after completion of a featured episode each day

2) adding the small Q's winter wonderland zone and "invasion" instance

I've been around when STO received a new SEASON update, featured episode updates and more complex content - where maintenance WAS NOT EXTENDED - and when it was extended, at most it would be an extra hour. But for a holiday event and turning off lobi rewards, it takes FIVE HOURS of maintenance???

Something is off...

Maybe the Cryptic devs decided to add MORE REAL CONTENT("real" meaning content that was'nt created by amateurs using the foundry and then "cleaned up" by devs) Who knows anymore?!

I love STO and it is now my new favorite mmorpg. The only problem I have is that the team is TINY, they have barely anything for an advertising/promotion budget(which is why there are millions of 'Trek fans that still have no clue STO even exists!) and they hardly get any funds from CBS or PWE to expand their staff and work on new content. More than the 2 seasons per year we normally get.

Lets all HOPE that this "maintenance" ends soon and we dont have to wait until 1pm PST.
Post edited by xaosmg123 on

Comments

• sfdrew83sfdrew83 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    A thread just like this was moved, so I don't have high hopes for this one.
  • stf65stf65 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    If only there were a whole thread about this somewhere, even with dev replies in it. If only...
  • edwardianededwardianed Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    A single mistyped line of code can cause hours of extra maintenance time if one can't find it; I wouldn't get my hopes up for any content.
  • eulifdaviseulifdavis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    xaosmg123 wrote: »
    Anyone else wondering why maintenance needs to be extended 2 hrs - for only TWO things:

1) turn off the Lobi Crystal x15 rewarded after completion of a featured episode each day

Ahem, "two things"? http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=941711 :rolleyes:

Also, they're probably taking the time to do all their normal system maintenance right now, such as defragments, database cleanups and optimizations, malware scans (yes, servers need those too), possibly even dusting the racks out and running hardware diagnostics to ensure reliability. All of this can't be done effectively while the game server process(es) are running.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cassamirothcassamiroth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    They're also fixing a pile of bugs that have been haunting STO since S8 release. So, you know, there's that you can look forward to :p
  • hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    ....waiting for a Whaaaaaaaaaaambulance that will never arrive. :rolleyes:
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    xaosmg123 wrote: »
    They said 10am PST - and now it was pushed back an hour. Now another hour - so 12pm PST is the "supposed" finish time of STO's maintenance.

I've been around when STO received a new SEASON update, featured episode updates and more complex content - where maintenance WAS NOT EXTENDED - and when it was extended, at most it would be an extra hour. But for a holiday event and turning off lobi rewards, it takes FIVE HOURS of maintenance???

Something is off...

I never get why people fail to understand the term 'maintenance'. the clue is there in the word itself.

It's not just adding what you can visible see. its all the backend stuff and actual maintenance of the server. the downtime has little to nothing to do with the actual patch size
  • edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Hilarius, you telling me cryptic doesnt have enough funds?? are you serious? do the maths, every user that buy zen and pays subscriptions. Cryptic have enough money to make 10 star trek online xDDDD. I dont think the problem is the money , for real. Neither their team. I think they have enough people in their team. The problem is, they want more money. So they prioritize some things before others, like solving this bug here, this one there, etc. They prioritize creating new ships for sale, or solving the zen store bugs, and so on. Dont say they dont have enough funds, for god sake, just think for a moment lol. Star Trek online is maybe the most expensive game ive ever played, and the community is really extensive even for a game that is 3-4 years old. So i will never see justified the high prices of everything.

Now, the update.. everybody knows, things can be go wrong for many reasons, and making an update solving so many bugs and preparing the winter zone and so on must be not easy. I assume , as always, they are pulling all out to make a clean update, so they dont need to shut down the server again tomorrow for anothers 3 hours.

The only thing i can say, patience.
  • a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Game's up. Lock this thread, and any other whiner threads too!
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
  • sfdrew83sfdrew83 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    eulifdavis wrote: »
    Ahem, "two things"? http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=941711 :rolleyes:

Also, they're probably taking the time to do all their normal system maintenance right now, such as defragments, database cleanups and optimizations, malware scans (yes, servers need those too), possibly even dusting the racks out and running hardware diagnostics to ensure reliability. All of this can't be done effectively while the game server process(es) are running.

Dear god. I hope they aren't using Windows for their servers.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It's live

THERE ARE GINGERBREAD WOMAN WHO NEED SAVING !!
    GwaoHAD.png
  • sonnikkusonnikku Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Material Files Reloaded.

Material Files Reloaded.

Material Files Reloaded.

Material Files Reloaded.

Material Files Reloaded.

Material Files Reloaded.
  • maskedmarvel1maskedmarvel1 Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    2gb .......?