test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Impulse speed and distance.

radagast75radagast75 Member Posts: 333 Arc User
I often smile in amusement of distance presentation and scale of distances versus speed.

Think of it, if amounts of distances to object are absolute in solare systems, like 10 km being 10km and so on.. Now compare that to speed on impulse drive withput full impulse and 50 power to engines,

It could be about 100 kph which would suggest that we are always using thruster instead of impulse :D
Captain Hunt, at your service!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by radagast75 on

Comments

• Options
    tobar26thtobar26th Member Posts: 799 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    radagast75 wrote: »
    I often smile in amusement of distance presentation and scale of distances versus speed.

Think of it, if amounts of distances to object are absolute in solare systems, like 10 km being 10km and so on.. Now compare that to speed on impulse drive withput full impulse and 50 power to engines,

It could be about 100 kph which would suggest that we are always using thruster instead of impulse :D

I've always found the 10km range for weapons somewhat ridiculous. I imagine it's there so numbers are 'easy' but it just feels way out of whack for Star Trek to only have weapons shooting 10k, that number should easily have been bigger, even if the operational range of our weapons wasn't changed.
  • Options
    oracion666oracion666 Member Posts: 338 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Agreed. Would like to see the distance for weapons to be increased, though I doubt it would happen. Even if the distance was just doubled to 20 km, it would still give a grander feel when it came to space battles, though adding reductions to power and/or accuracy of said weapons would need to be added.
    Formerly known as Echo@Rivyn13
    Member since early 2011

• Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    tobar26th wrote: »
    I've always found the 10km range for weapons somewhat ridiculous. I imagine it's there so numbers are 'easy' but it just feels way out of whack for Star Trek to only have weapons shooting 10k, that number should easily have been bigger, even if the operational range of our weapons wasn't changed.

I can understand why they kept the range shot, because they were just keeping the Trek Feeling. Where battles appeared close on screen, compared to "Real" Star Trek, where weapons actually ranged to hundreds of thousands of kilomters (Photon Torpedos have a range of 300,000 km) or millions of kilometers (USS Phoenix or the Mars Array - Enterprise).
  • Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    actually full impulse is about 9 times the speed of sound. i can cross 1 km in about a third of a second at full impulse. that would be 3333m/s...speed of sound is 340m/s, makeing full impulse something like mach 9?
    just saying this are very rough estimates.

in the show full impulse is somewhat unclear and not specified. sometimes it is 50% the speed of light and sometimes 80%...STO is far away from that anyway.

takes my scim 3 seconds to travel 1km with max throttle, impulse 20 (not full impulse)
    seems that 20 impulse = speed of sound, roughly

in the end it is for gameplay reasons, and proportions. personally i'd like to see a range increase for torps (also a speed increase for them)
    cannons should be lower range weapons, 7km...DHC even less 6km or so. after all they tend to do little damage at greater distances than that anyway.
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    radagast75radagast75 Member Posts: 333 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    A wider range for weapons would be great with some variety between damage types like some energy types reach further and some are for vey close range only and so on.

Anyways, distances and speed could do some fine tuning.
    baudl wrote: »
    actually full impulse is about 9 times the speed of sound. i can cross 1 km in about a third of a second at full impulse. that would be 3333m/s...speed of sound is 340m/s, makeing full impulse something like mach 9?
    just saying this are very rough estimates.

in the show full impulse is somewhat unclear and not specified. sometimes it is 50% the speed of light and sometimes 80%...STO is far away from that anyway.

takes my scim 3 seconds to travel 1km with max throttle, impulse 20 (not full impulse)
    seems that 20 impulse = speed of sound, roughly

in the end it is for gameplay reasons, and proportions. personally i'd like to see a range increase for torps (also a speed increase for them)
    cannons should be lower range weapons, 7km...DHC even less 6km or so. after all they tend to do little damage at greater distances than that anyway.

Exactly my point.

The later with cannons and less range, more damage versus long range beams sounds great but i guess due "Casual" friendly, we cant see anything that complicates things. Can always go and take Rokh out to get bit more of variety on ship fitting and complicated.

It is good tho, that one can always take his Hyperion for a spin, feed some rats to drones and show how nice good old railguns are in long distance.

"Capacitor is empty"
    Captain Hunt, at your service!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    We just added a AFK penlty, now lets put in a future that you can just shoot something from far far away.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    This is an area where they're working with a discrepancy from the shows. The distances described are always huge but the battles down are always close enough that both ships are visible inside the frame of a TV screen or movie screen.

I suppose they could add a zero to the range value but then it would be out of scale with ships, which are mostly scale accurate.