test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ground weapon size scale

madmoparmadmopar Member Posts: 234 Arc User
Maybe I am missing something but ground weapons on my gorn don't appear to be scale in size. Even mini guns look like pistols on him. Maybe we can get some way to scale up weapons for larger characters. I think I remember weapons in champions online scaling with character size, so I am surprised this is an issue in this game. Let's get some gorn love since the current story is lizard themed?
Post edited by madmopar on

Comments

• orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I vote against that, as then tiny characters would have equally diminutive weaponry. If you want bigger-sized weapons, IMO we should be asking for actual bigger weapons, not for weapons to resize.
  • capnshadow27capnshadow27 Member Posts: 1,731 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I partially second this.

While i want my weapon to scale with my large toon, i dont want it to scale with tiny one. It is hilarous carrying anything, a pistol looks like a rifle, rifles look like launchers and Miniguns look like im carryine a torpedo.
    Inertia just means you can do Powerslides in you carrier!
    I am Il Shadow and i approve these Shennanigans!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • vfpfyasko1vfpfyasko1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I think it is funny seeing little toons with large weapons larger then them on them. Its just funny. LOLOLOLOLOL
  • madmoparmadmopar Member Posts: 234 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Ya its funny but you can't even see your weapons on a gorn character half the time. Also making your character smaller seems to increase the weapon size. I noticed standing by small characters that their weapons are actually larger than mine.
    edited November 2013
    madmopar wrote: »
    Ya its funny but you can't even see your weapons on a gorn character half the time. Also making your character smaller seems to increase the weapon size. I noticed standing by small characters that their weapons are actually larger than mine.

Incorrect. The weapons are dynamically sized. They are always the same. They look different due to the massive disparity in size of the toons.

Tiny toon LOOKS like it has an oversized weapon, due to the toon being undersized, and vice versa for a big boy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Maybe I am missing something but ground weapons on my gorn don't appear to be scale in size. Even mini guns look like pistols on him. Maybe we can get some way to scale up weapons for larger characters. I think I remember weapons in champions online scaling with character size, so I am surprised this is an issue in this game. Let's get some gorn love since the current story is lizard themed?

why should the weapons scale? In real life if I'm holding a pen and give it to my five year old nephew it's not gonna suddenly shrink because he's smaller.
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • jetwtfjetwtf Member Posts: 1,207
    edited November 2013
    I would love it if they reduced the weapon size overall. omega rifle handle is almost the same size as my characters thigh and my character is not small at 5' 10" and middle sliders. The weapons being huge like that just look stupid and look almost normal on a maxed out gorn to me.
    "I'm drunk, whats your excuse for being an idiot?" - Unknown drunk man. :eek:
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Only if you can make it shrink too. My captain is 5' 2" and her gun is almost as big as she is.
  • thegalaxy31thegalaxy31 Member Posts: 1,211 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I think that weapon DPS and range should scale too.

JK
    I would love to visit this star in-game...or maybe this one!
    Won't SOMEONE please think of the CHILDREN?!
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Incorrect. The weapons are dynamically sized. They are always the same. They look different due to the massive disparity in size of the toons.

Tiny toon LOOKS like it has an oversized weapon, due to the toon being undersized, and vice versa for a big boy.

Like so:

http://scm-l3.technorati.com/11/12/15/58623/byb-optical-illusions-circles-clip-image001.jpg?t=20111215120927
    edited November 2013
    why should the weapons scale? In real life if I'm holding a pen and give it to my five year old nephew it's not gonna suddenly shrink because he's smaller.

Good thing this game isn't "Real Life Online".
    edited November 2013
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I have to disagree. A gun is a gun and a Gorn is huge. No need to change that. Sounds like you should get Elite Fleet Disruptor Dual Pistols. I've heard they use the models for sniper rifles.:D
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
    edited November 2013
    I have to disagree. A gun is a gun and a Gorn is huge. No need to change that. Sounds like you should get Elite Fleet Disruptor Dual Pistols. I've heard they use the models for sniper rifles.:D

Best thing about fighting a Gorn as a Tiny charachter? When you Hit melee you constantly hit him in the Reptilian Jewels :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Funny, I've always thought that most of the ground weapons look ridiculously oversized in this game.
    edited November 2013
    azniadeet wrote: »
    Funny, I've always thought that most of the ground weapons look ridiculously oversized in this game.

They are a bit oversized, unless of course you are using a MASSIVE Character, which Gorn are. My alien also has a 7 foot tall mode, along with a tiny mode.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • notapwefannotapwefan Member Posts: 1,138 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The mini gun and blast assaults looks quite fine. Perhaps you should think to equip your Gorns with these?

My away team have 4 tall Gorns and they all are equipped with blast weapons and mini guns. Might equip one or two of them with Breen gun and Votn weapon if they are big enough too.

If you have have been to Nimbus? (the desert planet) then you will notice that most of the gorns, and specially those tall mercenaries gorns have blast weapons.
    Grinding for MkIV epic gear?
    Ain't Nobody Got Time for That

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2013
    Don't do it, It's a Trap!

Give your giant Gorn's dual pistols, then you can have Reptiles with lazerbeams in their hands!!!!:D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • fransiscosfransiscos Member Posts: 54
    edited November 2013
    The real question here should be when are guns going to get a make over. I mean some of the models look so bad compared to the HD of player models or even other world objects. :rolleyes:
  • adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited November 2013

congratulations, you have broken my eyes

oh yeah, my Gorn Away team members use those, about the only species that looks right with duel snipers
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • kitsunesnoutkitsunesnout Member Posts: 1,210 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    While tiny characters are hilarious with huge guns, the opposite end of the spectrum in hilarity was not realized even with gorn, but when I saw Fek'iri bosses and slave masters in a foundry mission holding disruptor pistols and even blast assaults looking absolutely micro! I laughed so hard at how those giants looked using those puny weapons :P!

I know it's not relevant in this case, but oh my that was so funny!
  • peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Good thing this game isn't "Real Life Online".

Irrelevant either way. The size of an object is the size of an object. Shouldn't change based on who's holding it. Real life or gaming.
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • oldkirkfanoldkirkfan Member Posts: 1,263 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I would prefer realistic looking weapons, instead of the cartoonish ones we have now.
    edited November 2013
    Irrelevant either way. The size of an object is the size of an object. Shouldn't change based on who's holding it. Real life or gaming.

Not irrelevant in a fictional universe where something like replicators exists.
    edited November 2013
    oldkirkfan wrote: »
    I would prefer realistic looking weapons, instead of the cartoonish ones we have now.

They do look like something from a space cartoon for 9-year olds.
  • unangbangkayunangbangkay Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    They do look like something from a space cartoon for 9-year olds.

You mean like this?

http://www.hms-studios.com/roddenberry/jheusel_buildups/STTOSHMSPhaserRifle2.jpg

:P

Yeah, that's a CANON TOS Phaser rifle. The MACO weapons may be thick and shiny, but so were those. The only truly sleek "starfleet" weapon in Trek history was the Phaser compression rifle from First Contact onwards. If anything the MACO gear (Omega gear isn't even considered since it's obviously inspired by contemporary IRL weapons rather than Trek) is closer to TOS than that.
    edited November 2013

You can't blame em'... things were different back in the 1960s.