test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Foundry Files Episode 46: Closing the File?

Murphy covers this weeks foundry news and covers some major changes to the show. Then, Future Murphy takes on the console quickies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r4HlW2tcYw
Post edited by admiralmurphy1 on

Comments

• lincolninspacelincolninspace Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Let me guess you are going to cater the show more to your 3 regular female viewers?

Edit: It will be a sad day if this show is over and done. In your search for a new host I would recommend looking for people who are in to broadcasting and not just STO players as they may want this kind of experience under their belt.

As far as the new asset list goes there is a positive: We may get assets that would never have been added without our input.

All in all I think you show can certainly go on it just needs a new format perhaps. More in game footage maybe?

All the best. The foundry still has some good support. i have seen it go downhill since i started using it in Sept 2012 (mostly due to the search feature honestly) but, the difference between it and all those level editors you mentioned is it is online in an mmo so other people can play your creations, and that is still awesome.
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.
  • paxfederaticapaxfederatica Member Posts: 1,496 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Two suggestions:

1) See if Bazag is interested in a merger of your two solo podcasts, or

2) Consider having a rotating guest host every week. (I might be interested in guesting on one episode from time to time; not so sure about making it a full-time gig. I did guest on Foundry Roundtable once, a few months back.)
  • stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Stopping the show?! Impossibru!
    Two suggestions:

1) See if Bazag is interested in a merger of your two solo podcasts, or

2) Consider having a rotating guest host every week. (I might be interested in guesting on one episode from time to time; not so sure about making it a full-time gig. I did guest on Foundry Roundtable once, a few months back.)
    Bazag indeed! I was thinking that as well!
    Concerning point 2; rotating guests!! That's one wonderful idea, how about different themes every week?
    maxvitor wrote: »
    Nerf is OP, plz nerf
    That's quite the paradox, how could you nerf nerf when the nerf is nerfed. But how would the nerf be nerfed when the nerf is nerfed? This allows the nerf not to be nerfed since the nerf is nerfed? But if the nerf isn't nerfed, it could still nerf nerfs. But as soon as the nerf is nerfed, the nerf power is lost. So paradoxally it the nerf nerf lost its nerf, while it's still nerfed, which cannot be because the nerf was unable to nerf.

I call it, the Stoutes paradox.
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Thanks Murphy.

It's honestly hard for me to discourage you, since I've currently lost all motivation to keep authoring, given the fact that it's pretty much pointless without a spotlight.

So, if it's the last show, thanks for keeping hope up for as long as you guys did.

I'm proud of the Purity series for what it accomplished. But let's not kid ourselves. Part VI would probably have 18 plays right now if the series had not been spotlighted.

I think it's a legit time for a lot of us to seriously ask ourselves, "OK, why are we doing this, again?" Right now, I don't have a good answer other than I like to play friends' missions and I like my small group of internet friends to play my new one.

Otherwise, my motivation is pretty low. A lot of us have reached a breaking point, despite how great our community is.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • admiralmurphy1admiralmurphy1 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I'd love to do something with Bazag but again I really don't want to pull anyone away from their own show. I will throw it out there to anyone interested to shoot me a message and I could see the possibility of going back on air as I said, it might not be an official ending, but I am treating it like one for the time being. Hell, I wouldn't mind hoping on the other podcasts and lending a hand from time to time as I'll still be playing foundry missions at least.

I really don't know what the future will be for the show, and the state of the foundry is defiantly a factor right now. The combination of just terrible foundry news last week and Ooiue having to pull out pretty much did crush my foundry spirit. I almost did call it off earlier this year because of tech problems and again, Cryptic ignoring the foundry. While they aren't necessarily ignoring it, they aren't really giving it the attention the toolset needs. It really was an eye opening experience to go back and look at the history of the STO foundry and see how many problems we still have today that have gone unfixed.

I'm pretty much in Kirkfat's boat. Why put the time and effort into the foundry anymore when Cryptic isn't willing to do it for STO. A Foundry Files episode takes a lot of time to produce, and I have to determine at this point if its worth it to keep going. That might change in the future, but given Geko's answers last week on Cryptics attitude to how much work should be put into the foundry, I'm not really hopeful. I'll probably take a break from foundry and honestly STO all together for at least a few weeks and hopefully return to be shocked when things are better. Hell if I get bored I might actually make a mission again, though at this point I think I'll get on the bandwagon of STO foundry authors who left and just started writing their own stories elsewhere.
    edited November 2013
    I'm not really hopeful. I'll probably take a break from foundry and honestly STO all together for at least a few weeks and hopefully return to be shocked when things are better. Hell if I get bored I might actually make a mission again, though at this point I think I'll get on the bandwagon of STO foundry authors who left and just started writing their own stories elsewhere.

Right now, I'm shopping for a new game. I feel like playing something that is pure story, like an exploration clicker or something like Myst. All these games under $10 on steam, why not take a break and explore what is out there?

I'm going to just step back for a moment and play something that is the complete opposite of a grinder, even if it's simply a puzzle game. I'm thinking that maybe that will motivate me to tell a story again, despite the medium of this game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • admiralmurphy1admiralmurphy1 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Yeah, I've been replaying through a mystery puzzle series I've been playing since I was a kid to get away from the grind. I knew that Season 8 was only going to keep me entertained for a bit so I jumped to a game with puzzles so much better than STO with a true focus on story.
  • odyssey47odyssey47 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    kirksplat wrote: »
    Thanks Murphy.

It's honestly hard for me to discourage you, since I've currently lost all motivation to keep authoring, given the fact that it's pretty much pointless without a spotlight.

So, if it's the last show, thanks for keeping hope up for as long as you guys did.

I'm proud of the Purity series for what it accomplished. But let's not kid ourselves. Part VI would probably have 18 plays right now if the series had not been spotlighted.

I think it's a legit time for a lot of us to seriously ask ourselves, "OK, why are we doing this, again?" Right now, I don't have a good answer other than I like to play friends' missions and I like my small group of internet friends to play my new one.

Otherwise, my motivation is pretty low. A lot of us have reached a breaking point, despite how great our community is.

I say as long as you still have fun making the missions that's a good enough reason. If we don't see major foundry improvements by season 9 I'd say Cryptic has run out of excuses.
  • zorbanezorbane Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Not much to say that the others haven't said already, I really enjoyed your show.

I agree with all the points you made about the tagging system and don't really have high hopes for it. In fact most people won't know it exists since its hidden in the custom search area.

BTW the sketch intro music reminded me of : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNjbx_-BtP8
    StarbaseUGC Discord Chat
    Foundry Mission Database
    Check out my Foundry missions:
    Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
    Untitled Series - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - Commander Rihan
  • paxfederaticapaxfederatica Member Posts: 1,496 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    A simple solution to the tagging issue would be to let authors tag missions on first publish to establish a baseline. Since author tags wouldn't carry any more weight than tags from other players, any author mis-tagging issues would be quickly diluted as the mission gets more plays (and tags).
  • bazagbazag Member Posts: 375 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Hey Murphy. Thanks for all your work to get Foundry Files out to the Foundry community.

As a podcast host myself I know the work and stuff that goes on behind the scenes. The re-takes, edits and skit work and mine doesn't even have video.

Whatever happens to the show in the future thanks for the 45 episodes.
  • amahoodamahood Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I'd love to do something with Bazag but again I really don't want to pull anyone away from their own show. I will throw it out there to anyone interested to shoot me a message and I could see the possibility of going back on air as I said, it might not be an official ending, but I am treating it like one for the time being. Hell, I wouldn't mind hoping on the other podcasts and lending a hand from time to time as I'll still be playing foundry missions at least.

I really don't know what the future will be for the show, and the state of the foundry is defiantly a factor right now. The combination of just terrible foundry news last week and Ooiue having to pull out pretty much did crush my foundry spirit. I almost did call it off earlier this year because of tech problems and again, Cryptic ignoring the foundry. While they aren't necessarily ignoring it, they aren't really giving it the attention the toolset needs. It really was an eye opening experience to go back and look at the history of the STO foundry and see how many problems we still have today that have gone unfixed.

I'm pretty much in Kirkfat's boat. Why put the time and effort into the foundry anymore when Cryptic isn't willing to do it for STO. A Foundry Files episode takes a lot of time to produce, and I have to determine at this point if its worth it to keep going. That might change in the future, but given Geko's answers last week on Cryptics attitude to how much work should be put into the foundry, I'm not really hopeful. I'll probably take a break from foundry and honestly STO all together for at least a few weeks and hopefully return to be shocked when things are better. Hell if I get bored I might actually make a mission again, though at this point I think I'll get on the bandwagon of STO foundry authors who left and just started writing their own stories elsewhere.

Howdy Admiral Murphy,

sorry to hear bout the show. Who knows, after a bit of time off, you may feel refreshed , and decide to do more episodes.

One of my (many) reasons why I wouldn't do a show (presently anyhow), is that, I truly don't think people would like what I have to say about things , because I tend to give every mission 5 stars, in order to encourage Author's to keep Creating.
    So about the only opinion I'd have on 'record' about missions are, they are all good. LOL.
    Basically I would only speak positive, and to many listeners of a show, I think that would bore them.
    Another reason why I wouldn't right now, is that ever since the changes with sto for season 8, I have not been able to really log into the game!!!!
    Making it quite difficult for me to even play foundry missions, (until they fix things better).

It also just seems like, STO has become real.... boring..... I been stayin away from it quite often too lately. About the best thing that came recently from the game, was LoR.

The Foundry, is definitely being ignored by STO (or whomever is in charge), and it is sad that this is so, yet I feel it's always been ignored, and until they actually make it their cornerstone for the game, and show it the attention it deserves, they ought to change the title to 'ignored trek creations'.

On another note, I luved the short clip you did at the end of the show, got me laughing my freaking head off. I couldn't stop laughing it seemed.

Anyhow, God Bless ya . 'Chin up' .

Maybe do some more of those episodes of future murphy. that would kik butt. LOL.

I'm quite confident though, once you get some time off from the depressive state sto is in, you'll return to what you luv most. 'Hang in there ' you'll get back into the foundry once you've had a rest from things. ;)

take care.

odyssey47 wrote: »
    I say as long as you still have fun making the missions that's a good enough reason. If we don't see major foundry improvements by season 9 I'd say Cryptic has run out of excuses.

I couldn't agree more. Create missions for yourself to play and enjoy, if others enjoy it, cool, if not, so what. When people write books, (good writers), it's because they only care about letting the story idea onto paper, of that which is in their mind's eye. Something that they have to do , otherwise they will go insane for not letting it out. Do they care about whether or not the book will sell? as they write it, nope.

So create missions if you Want to do it to see a story come to life for yourself, if not then don't.

It's pointless to do one just to try and impress others.
    edited November 2013
    odyssey47 wrote: »

I was really disgusted with how long they allowed the foundry to be bugged over the summer. I stopped playing the game cold turkey. The attention the foundry was getting seemed at a high to me back when I started to dive into it last fall and since then I have seen it become neglected. Now they only seem to address exploits and ad an art asset here and there. I had a bad feeling about the change to the search system back then but, I thought the dev's would fix it. They have not.
  • wombat140wombat140 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    zorbane wrote: »
    I agree with all the points you made about the tagging system and don't really have high hopes for it. In fact most people won't know it exists since its hidden in the custom search area.

I didn't. What tagging system is this? (Unable to listen to the podcast for complicated reasons).
  • zorbanezorbane Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    wombat140 wrote: »
    I didn't. What tagging system is this? (Unable to listen to the podcast for complicated reasons).

If yo look at the Foundry list UI you can see how people tagged the mission (combat story etc).

When you review a mission you can put the tags in, and when you do a custom search you can put tags in your search criteria.
    StarbaseUGC Discord Chat
    Foundry Mission Database
    Check out my Foundry missions:
    Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
    Untitled Series - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - Commander Rihan
  • wombat140wombat140 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The bars underneath the main star-rating bar? Oh, I see, yes. I thought that was some new refinement to the star-ratings, where you could rate them out of 5 for each of those things. Didn't realise you could use it to search for. It's not obvious even if you do use the Custom Search - maybe it would help if they marked those two drop-down lists "Any of these tags" and "All of these tags" rather than just "Any" and "All".
  • fourxgamerfourxgamer Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Thanks for the shows, regardless of what you decide. I think I watched around half of them. Sorry to hear your partner Ouououoiuoioouiui (sp?) has scheduling difficulties now.

I'm not in a big fleet so the occasional podcast helps me feel the sense of community kinda like why I used to watch Jupiter broadcasting. It's fun to watch friends interact especially when it relates to something you like, sometimes even things you don't like, "Beer is tasty" for example.

I did listen to your podcast with Havraha, more than two hours of it. Lost about 20 minutes in there somewhere when i nodded off. Had nothing to do with either of you, was just really tired from work. That went pretty well I thought after the first couple minutes, was entertaining. You should probably do more of that if you enjoy it.

podcastugc.com episode 136 for reference.

llap
    edited November 2013
    One thing I would really like from you Admiral is if you could publish your foundry mission list. You refer to it in every review but I have never seen it anywhere. I have to leaky of a memory to remember all the great missions you have reviewed.

Thank you for the show. This kind of thing gives you credit towards a broadcasting career should you choose that path ;).
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Well sorry to hear your broadcast is closing. But I have to agree with the merger of Podcasts? Because there are so many, perhaps everyone consolidating into UGC news podcast and another going over the plays?
    edited December 2013
    I really enjoy the episodes of Podcast UGC when it's Hav and Murphy. Last week's show was particularly good. So, Murphy, if FF is taking a break or ending, then it would be nice to hear you on that show more.

Having more than one Foundry author makes a huge difference for that particular podcast, IMO.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]