test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Would be about time for opt to disable trails

radagast75radagast75 Member Posts: 333 Arc User
Yes, the warp trails still annoy me. They have annoyed me from pre launch and continue to annoy me ultil i can turn them off.

They di not pose any artistic value and while they serve purpose to someone, they are not useful to someone else so would that option be that hard to do?
Captain Hunt, at your service!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by radagast75 on

Comments

• Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I'm with this.

Warp trails shouldn't be visible when flying with Impulse drive and in sector space impulse trails should be disabled IMO.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    micadog5micadog5 Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    When I first started this game, none of my ships had any trails, bar the ones that were changed by an item. Could never understand why people had those weird ribbon like things attached to their engines in screenshots and videos.

After I got to VA, I fiddled with the graphics settings, and Poof! I get the stupid ribbons. I've tried finding what I did, but nothing I try gets rid of them.

Totally support this, those trails have annoyed me for as long as I've seen them. They make the game seem even less trek-ish to me, especially after playing it without them for so long. No ships in trek ever had impulse and warp trails that I remember.

Only wish I'd have discovered how to screenshot back in those days...
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    When I suggested this to a dev, his reply was essentially "The trails aren't for you."

Some people require the trails for a sense of speed and movement... and in pvp, they're necessary to convey your speed and direction to others.

They're not going to give you an option to disable the engine trails.
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Not meaning to threadjack, but I can't find the setting to turn them on! But really .... they are on all the time? Seriously, how do I turn them on!! I can only see the red trails (which gets changed with Set engines).
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Not meaning to threadjack, but I can't find the setting to turn them on! But really .... they are on all the time? Seriously, how do I turn them on!! I can only see the red trails (which gets changed with Set engines).

How did you do that? :(
  • Options
    edited November 2013

This. This is exactly what I used to have. I think it has something to do with some of the graphics settings, like postprocessing.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    When I suggested this to a dev, his reply was essentially "The trails aren't for you."

*snip*

From what I can gather, you're thinking we're asking to be able to disable the trails like we would disable the visuals on say a assimilated deflector. What we (or at least I) am asking for is more like an option in the video settings to disable the visuals like we would the profanity filter

If it is built like switch in settings, we wouldnt see the trails if they were disabled, but someone who has trails enabled would still see them on our ship. Just like if we swear in game chat, the profanity filter wouldnt censor it out for us, but people with it on would still see it censored. This is what we're looking for.

If it happened to be built like the disable visuals on the assimilated deflector our ship impulse trails wouldn't be visible to anyone, and people who wanted it on would see theirs, but not ours. We would also see the impulse trails on any ship that did not opt to disable. This would not work well ingame, and it is not what we're looking for.

Thats my take on this at least.
  • Options
    hawke89305092hawke89305092 Member Posts: 237 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I wholeheartedly support this.

I'd even settle for them being toned down a bit. Things like seeing a ship's trails at full impulse stretching out five times the length of the ship bug me, or seeing a ship with a whole heap of engines have all these different trails coming off them... it looks a little ridiculous.

And then there's how bizarre they can get if you're jerking your ship around like crazy, or if you're in fluidic space...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    undyingzeroundyingzero Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    FYI, for those who are looking for the setting that removes the warp trails, it's Visual FX Quality. Setting it to low removes the nacelle trails, though it'll make things like beams and powers like Gravity Well look crappier. Seeing the Omega Antiproton Carbine shoot flat red squares is not pretty.
  • Options
    slayerofbloodslayerofblood Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I personally prefer the trails, both in combat and sector space, but that's mostly because I have astrometrics disabled and like the sense of movement. That being said... I've discovered that with my configuration, the trails flicker out after combat and I can't get them back; only full impulse produces trails from the impulse vents. I'm guessing it's a meshing issue. I can understand not wanting them, though. Just gives me the mid-90s game feel, like Armada and Armada II. Okay, but 2D feeling.
    FED TAC: Ty'irren Micybos, USS Mistake Not... NX-93023.
  • Options
    heero139heero139 Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I found recently that the "medium" setting on visual FX also seems to disable most of the engine trails, notably impulse trails not granted by engine items. "High" seems to be the only setting that includes them.

Oddly, switching these settings required restarting the game to see a change to engine trails last time I tried it, which is why it took me so long to figure out which setting did it.
    Zekkie@h33r0yuy
  • Options
    lexx#3142 lexx Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    i have been looking for a way to turn them back on thank you for the info
    WlH5L28.png