test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Tier 5 skill cap and forced usage to ground skills.

radagast75radagast75 Member Posts: 333 Arc User
I have played the game on elite setting, on that setting, i can easily overcome any ground NPC enemy group that comes by with just a few skill points used there. It feels reasonably challenging if you only max tier 1.

Why do i need so many points there? Why am i forced to use points what i dont need?

Few of these ponts would easily be usable on tier 5.

With current cap, you can only have 12 skill levels on tier 5, if you max your "Class" skill there, that leaves only 3 skill levels in any other skill. If you use 6 levels on "Class" you have 6. If you use less the bonus gets very small but you can get very small bonus for more skills.

At least as Romulan/Reman using warbird with less power, i feel the need for extra power in weapons and aux. I also would be glad to have some critical bonus from Weapons spesialisations. Im not getting much of any of those if i have to distribute skill points to all of those and if as tac captain, id really want to have weapons power increased and some more crit chance.

How about removing the dorced skill usage on ground and remove the need for skill points per tier so you can save more points to tier 5? Or how about reducing the skill point cost on tier 5 slightly?

I imagine in PVE, this would bring more choice, which is good... But would it unbalance PVP?
Captain Hunt, at your service!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by radagast75 on

Comments

• Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Then, as before the current skill system, many people would put no skill points in ground skills and then complain about how hard ground is. This system is much more balanced.

There are a couple of characters I'd like to put more than 100k into ground skills, but you don't see me complaining.
  • Options
    sernonserculionsernonserculion Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The old system was made so you had to take things away from space, if you wanted ground combat skills. I can only imagine that was not an overly popular thing to do. The current system is not forcing anyone to do anything they don't want to, and that is exactly why it was made this way. Defined pools, dediated to their respective areas. A monumental improvement over having it one way or the other.

It is even still possible to take a bit from space, just in case someone really don't like it up there... :P

---
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    So the forced system is basically to protect people ffrom their own stupidness. Not placing any skills to ground and fail in ground, then complain about it to game designers.

It is like not paying attention at school and then say it is not my fault i did not listen.

It is poor excuse and should be ignored, if you fail, you need to learn a bit more.

Besides reducing tier 5 skill cost a bit would not take away the forced feature to place points where you dont need them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    eulifdaviseulifdavis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    radagast75 wrote: »
    With current cap, you can only have 12 skill levels on tier 5, if you max your "Class" skill there, that leaves only 3 skill levels in any other skill. If you use 6 levels on "Class" you have 6. If you use less the bonus gets very small but you can get very small bonus for more skills.

My 27 points spent in tier 5 skills would beg to differ. ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    *dismembers Radagast the Brown with Bat'leth*

Silly Brown Wizard.... ground combat is good for you.

Seriously though, the easiest way to get dil in season 8 is to go to the ground war zone and massacre Voth. Thus you have a good reason to put points in ground skills.

Anyways though, there is actually a considerable amount of room for personal choice here. The minimum required use of ground skills is considerably less than the maximum that is useful.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    *dismembers Radagast the Brown with Bat'leth*

Silly Brown Wizard.... ground combat is good for you..

"OUCH" Next time you get stranded on top of tall building, dont count for any eagles to catch you :P

Okay, ground is fine, maybe my aproach was wron, how about just reduce the cost of tier 5 skills? I dont see how someone can get 27 points to space skills when what ever i did to get max points to tier 5, i only got max of 12 skill levels to put on any space skills. Couple more skills like maybe 6 extra would go long way to give more freedom to last tier.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    eulifdaviseulifdavis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I dont see how someone can get 27 points to space skills when what ever i did to get max points to tier 5, i only got max of 12 skill levels to put on any space skills.

9 points were spent on the ground, the remaining 18 were spent in space. And that was exceeding the minimum ground expenditure (a total of 87,000 skill points spent in ground). If I were to reduce that to the minimum, I'd have a lot of extra points to play with. I don't know how many, exactly, but a good chunk.

I'd show you my build, but I'd rather the PvP community didn't latch onto it. I don't even PvP, but I'm not about to help those cretins out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    eulifdavis wrote: »
    9 points were spent on the ground, the remaining 18 were spent in space. And that was exceeding the minimum ground expenditure (a total of 87,000 skill points spent in ground). If I were to reduce that to the minimum, I'd have a lot of extra points to play with. I don't know how many, exactly, but a good chunk.

I'd show you my build, but I'd rather the PvP community didn't latch onto it. I don't even PvP, but I'm not about to help those cretins out.

I understand your reasons not to share it.

I may have to get to it again and scratch my head a bit more. Those couple points you have there as extra compared to my t5 points would really make the difference i want.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Why do i need so many points there? Why am i forced to use points what i dont need?

The system initially let you ignore Ground completely if you so chose. The players asked for these changes. And got them. So this is one of the few instances of the dev team delivering what the players wanted.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The system initially let you ignore Ground completely if you so chose. The players asked for these changes. And got them. So this is one of the few instances of the dev team delivering what the players wanted.

And I think it's okay. :cool:
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    And I think it's okay. :cool:

Now i should follow the normal forum rule and state

"If your happy with it, why r u here?"

:P

But i just state, Good for you, im pleased that you are pleased :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]