test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Dr. Who or Star Trek Bigger in UK?

collegepark2151collegepark2151 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited November 2013 in Ten Forward
Being a native of the west side of the pond and having never visited the east side, which is bigger in the UK:

Dr. Who or Star Trek?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
Post edited by collegepark2151 on

Comments

• Options
    jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I have no idea, but I feel obligated to tell you it's "Doctor Who." ;)
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • Options
    lonnehartlonnehart Member Posts: 846 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Dr. Who, of course. And this coming from an American (living in a territory, but still...). Isn't the UK the birthplace of that franchise? And isn't it older than Star Trek?
    *sings* "I like Gammera! He's so neat!!! He is full of turtle meat!!!"

"Hah! You are doomed! You're only armed with that pathetic excuse for a musical instrument!!!" *the Savage Beast moments before Lonnehart the Bard used music to soothe him... then beat him to death with his Fat Lute*
  • Options
    smeeinn1tsmeeinn1t Member Posts: 618 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    As an Englishman I see it as 50/50, but then again isn't everything...
    V9BQ6SM.gif
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Lazarus Long --->Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    starfish1701starfish1701 Member Posts: 782 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Difficult one.

Recently I hear more people at work talking about Doctor Who that I used to, but Star Trek comes up quite a lot as well, and from people I wouldn't have expected it from.

I would have to say 50/50
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Difficult one.

Recently I hear more people at work talking about Doctor Who that I used to, but Star Trek comes up quite a lot as well, and from people I wouldn't have expected it from.

I would have to say 50/50

That's because Doctor Who has been preparing for the 50th all year long with ads, and the Internet, and Cons so yeah they been talking about it a lot.

Trek is really big overseas.

I am sad that CBS, and the U.S won't treat Star Trek the same when it hits 50 in 3 years.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    smeeinn1tsmeeinn1t Member Posts: 618 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    I am sad that CBS, and the U.S won't treat Star Trek the same when it hits 50 in 3 years.

Who knows, if there's money to be made with a 50th anniversary edition of anything ST, I'm pretty sure that they will capitalise as much as possible. If they offer up full canon packages including T3 & T5 ships, uniforms and series/movie themed accessories etc. I'm pretty sure PWE would get the cash rolling in.
    V9BQ6SM.gif
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Lazarus Long --->Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2013
    Doctor who is certainly bigger with the general public over here, ST is more niche with SF fans, but JJTrek is changing that I think.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    wolfpacknzwolfpacknz Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    And yet Dr Who's 50th got beaten in the ratings in the UK by a dancing show...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ***Disenchanted***
    Real Join Date: Monday, 17 May 2010
  • Options
    jumpingjsjumpingjs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Dr Who, but not by much.
    Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    dr who ran past it's sell by date an ice age ago. i never watched dr who and i don't ever see myself watching it, don't ask me why i just don't seem to care one way or the other.

i wouldn't know what the UK is interested in main sci-fi, for all i we know it could be Farscape or stargate sg-1 and i live in the UK btw.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    wolfpacknz wrote: »
    And yet Dr Who's 50th got beaten in the ratings in the UK by a dancing show...

Sadly a large proportion of our country loves it's reality/z-celebrity shows, which just reflects the poor state we're in. 5 of the top 10 shows in the overnight ratings were celebrity shows, which is just plain sad. Doctor Who was the only drama to make it into the top 20.

Anyway, those were the overnights, it's the final viewing figures that matter. Doctor Who gets a pretty huge boost from timeshifts, so given that strictly got 10.6 while Who got 10.2, it should win by a decent margin.

Plus Doctor Who just made ?1,707,000 from the cinemas in the Uk, slightly less than Thor 2 last weekend. Let me say that again, a show that's available for "free", made almost as much money as a movie that was 2nd place in the UK box office last weekend.

As for which is bigger for the general populace in the UK, Doctor Who obviously. Star Trek stopped being a big thing some time around Voyager, which is probably why Channel 4 got Enterprise instead of BBC2. Even then it got shifted round the time slots a bit.
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,102 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Doctor Who.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited November 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »

Hey now, if its a wash, it'll be CBS, yes, but don't over-generalize to the whole country. US fans were a large part of the 1970s campaign that brought Trek back, and have been loyal along with successive generations since. I'm sure they're eager to celebrate whether the controlling powers of the franchise are in harmony or not.
  • Options
    wildthyme467989wildthyme467989 Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    orondis wrote: »
    which is probably why Channel 4 got Enterprise instead of BBC2. Even then it got shifted round the time slots a bit.

Soon after, even Channel 4 didn't want it, it went to Sky 1. It seems Star Trek has lost some of it's appeal to even the TV Channel broadcasters here
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Its hard to say who has the more fans, but its dr who when it comes to casual viewers certainly if nothing else than the fact its gets primetime slot on a saturday on a channel that everyone with a tv gets.

trek gets tucked away on different channels on sky during the day which fewer people have. trek was never given the limelight even back in its day so its always had less exposure.

personally i think dr who used to be quite good that is now a pretty poor show, and trek is miles better, but that does not take away from the fact people do like it and watch it by the millions, but its never been a fair playing field when it comes to showing it to people.