test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

To STO Development Staff

siskobsiskob Member Posts: 0 Arc User
STO Development Staff,

There has been a suggestion on the French STO forums that I would like to draw your attention to. For several seasons now, the developers have given us more powerful gear, weapons, and ships etc, which has been appreciated, and great to use.

However, the level of the enemies, (NPCs), has not changed and now the PvE side of the game has become too easy. For example, many of us can now finish the Elite STFs in less than three minutes, and the game is starting to lose our interest because of this lack of a challenge.

We would like to propose that the developers increase the level of the NPCs in the Elite missions from level 52 to level 55, or even 60. In order to keep newer or less experienced players from jumping right into this new Elite setting, we also want to add that players must have completed the optional objective in all previous difficulties first, (normal and current elite setting if that is to remain making this new level ultra-elite).

Thank you in advance for your time and the consideration of our proposal.
Post edited by siskob on

Comments

• scrooge69scrooge69 Member Posts: 1,108 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I agree; buff ELITE diff missions and give the normals a higher reward
    so new toons dont have to dei thro the new elites

so far no1 really plys normal STFs cause Elite is so easy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • doublechadoublecha Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I like it, Qa'pla
    Qapla'
  • stonewbiestonewbie Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The problem we have in STO is that a lot of people paid real money for their ships. I think a level cap raise would be good, but not if it makes all purchased ships obselete. And if thats the case is a level cap raise even really needed? Why not just introduce new content with mobs tuned for those people in XII gear? and maybe introduce a new mark like XIII, XIV and XV?

Another thing that a level cap raise usually does is it makes all current content obselete. That means the devs here would have to either retune current endgame content to the new cap or come up with a lot of brand new content tuned for the new level cap. SWTOR i believe retuned the current content (or at least most of it) to the new cap when they released their first expac. WoW releases all new content (though with the last expac they have rehashed some old content) but WoW isnt F2P and they have more resources available to them. We are more likely to get something similar to SWTORs version of new content because its easier to do.
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    siskob wrote: »
    However, the level of the enemies, (NPCs), has not changed and now the PvE side of the game has become too easy. For example, many of us can now finish the Elite STFs in less than three minutes, and the game is starting to lose our interest because of this lack of a challenge.
    :rolleyes: Elite Completion within 3 minutes, huh?
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • carasucia83carasucia83 Member Posts: 568 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    +1

My 2 cents worth of suggestions for a potential 'nightmare' level:

1. Players MUST have completed ALL optionals for the zone in which the STF takes place, ie: All Space optionals for Khitomer, Infected and Cure in order to even see these events in the PvE queue list. The same for ground. Include Hive and Onslaught in this if you want.

2. Anyone with 5 (or 'X') AFK penalties within the space of 1 month is unable to enter the queues for a period of 1 month. I would include leaver penalties, but, with all the server disconnects......

3. Long, like really really long respawn timers (think No Win Scenario style long)

4. Add in extra optionals (in addition to the existing ones) similar to those on the two Hive missions for extra dilithium, guaranteed Mk XII gear, and/or marks in addition to the overall mission completion rewards.

5. Do this for more than just the Borg even if the Borg optionals are the requirement for unlocking the content.
    "So my fun is wrong?"

No. Your fun makes everyone else's fun wrong by default.
  • edwardianededwardianed Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    stonewbie wrote: »
    The problem we have in STO is that a lot of people paid real money for their ships. I think a level cap raise would be good, but not if it makes all purchased ships obselete. And if thats the case is a level cap raise even really needed? Why not just introduce new content with mobs tuned for those people in XII gear? and maybe introduce a new mark like XIII, XIV and XV?

Another thing that a level cap raise usually does is it makes all current content obselete. That means the devs here would have to either retune current endgame content to the new cap or come up with a lot of brand new content tuned for the new level cap. SWTOR i believe retuned the current content (or at least most of it) to the new cap when they released their first expac. WoW releases all new content (though with the last expac they have rehashed some old content) but WoW isnt F2P and they have more resources available to them. We are more likely to get something similar to SWTORs version of new content because its easier to do.

The suggestion was to raise the level of NPCs, not players.
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    people blow through the levels superfast because of flaws in the design. making the enemies harder is fine, but thats not the problem
  • tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    people blow through the levels superfast because of flaws in the design. making the enemies harder is fine, but thats not the problem

i remember back before replays were enabled (and the queue system), you had to basically do all the exploration/patrol missions as well as the main storyline in order to hit 50.
  • grazyc2#7847 grazyc2 Member Posts: 1,988 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    flash525 wrote: »

Indeed huh, thats imposible 3 mins to do borg thats not possible even on normal thats never been done before unless they find a way to cheat...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Coffee: the finest organic suspension ever devised. It's got me through the worst of the last three years. I beat the Borg with it."
  • siskobsiskob Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    kirk2390 wrote: »
    Indeed huh, thats imposible 3 mins to do borg thats not possible even on normal thats never been done before unless they find a way to cheat...

For exemple :

Infected Space Elite (ISE) 1:26 min : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzTbLMBuCpc
  • relatavisticbombrelatavisticbomb Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    +1
    3. Long, like really really long respawn timers (think No Win Scenario style long)

Why not get rid of respawning completely? I suggets thta may have more of an impact than anything else.
  • stonewbiestonewbie Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The suggestion was to raise the level of NPCs, not players.

Ohh yah, my bad didn't see that part...well at least a small portion of the stuff i posted is still a little relevant anyways hehe.

Isnt this the thing that the devs have said they have been considering anyways? It was about adding in nightmare difficulties to the stuff we have now. With that i think they should give us all new content *and* harder difficulties...not just harder difficulties on what we already have. Even though we arent actually talking about raising player level cap, i'm afraid that just adding another difficulty will have the same effect that SWTOR had when they retuned level 50 instances to level 55. I dont know how it is now, but when they were talking about doing this, there was a lot of QQ on the SWTOR forums. Mainly about having to keep on doing content that they had already been farming for months and months with but with just another difficulty level or mostly the same mechanics with maybe a few new ones thrown in instead of giving them something fresh.
  • themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I've done a few speed-runs. Takes 5 min or so. Hard to pull off, but it can be done.

For the proposed Nightmare Mode I would like to see the following features instead of more HP and more 1-hit-die shots:

*Borg regeneration. A significant amount of regeneration. Finally reward all those min-max DPS-Fire-Hose builds. You need to do serious DPS to overcome the regeneration value.

*Give the Borg ability to rock the same powers that we do. After all they've assimilated Feds before... they should be annoying the hell out of us with Subnuke, Repulsors and Gravwells... as well as subsystem targeting and viral matrix. I would consider these the minimum.

*An adaptation mechanic. Make it so you have to be handicapped by installing a Re-modulator console for beam and cannon weapons. Every X period of shots or time the Borg adapt to a weapon-type and you have to trigger a remod cycle. Torpedoes would be immune to the mechanic.

*Finally, change up the objectives a bit. Introduce new bonuses. Conduit for example... Since few people drop the generators using the 10% rule anymore... Make it so you have to pop the generators in a specific sequence, and you have to coordinate the use of specific powers to knock them out. That encourages both DPS-fire-hose and tactics. SOMEONE has to crowd-control. SOMEONE has to bring the science and so forth.

I'd also ask that this Nightmare Mode be reputation based AND locked behind an objective wall. You need to have T5 OMEGA rep, a full OMEGA or MACO set (space for this example) AND you need to have completed 15 or more Elite Runs with the objective intact. And for the love of beef-jerky-on-toast don't set it up to public queue! Make it team/fleet only.

This gives people an incentive to work twords. As it is now, once I complete a Rep I have nothing to do, the new toys I unlock simply make existing content absurdly easy.
  • dichtbringerdichtbringer Member Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    flash525 wrote: »
    kirk2390 wrote: »

See my Signature, we are close to finnishing ISE below 1 minute now...
    STO Voice Control Tutorial Video: WATCH
    ELITE STF SPEED RECORDS (time on optional remaining):
    S07: KASE: 12:54 | CSE: 13:20 | ISE: 12:38 All held personally, my POV
    LOR: KASE: 13:19 | CSE: 13:47 | ISE: 13:34 None held personally, other player's POV
    S08: coming soon
  • tinkerstormtinkerstorm Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    STO Development Staff,

There has been a suggestion on the French STO forums that I would like to draw your attention to. For several seasons now, the developers have given us more powerful gear, weapons, and ships etc, which has been appreciated, and great to use.

We would like to propose that the developers increase the level of the NPCs in the Elite missions from level 52 to level 55, or even 60. In order to keep newer or less experienced players from jumping right into this new Elite setting, we also want to add that players must have completed the optional objective in all previous difficulties first, (normal and current elite setting if that is to remain making this new level ultra-elite).

That should be an entirely new level of difficulty, not a change to the existing levels.

Normal < Elite < Ultra.
  • mikerc024mikerc024 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    very good idea, i like it
  • earlnyghthawkearlnyghthawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    themarie wrote: »
    I've done a few speed-runs. Takes 5 min or so. Hard to pull off, but it can be done.

For the proposed Nightmare Mode I would like to see the following features instead of more HP and more 1-hit-die shots:

*Borg regeneration. A significant amount of regeneration. Finally reward all those min-max DPS-Fire-Hose builds. You need to do serious DPS to overcome the regeneration value.

*Give the Borg ability to rock the same powers that we do. After all they've assimilated Feds before... they should be annoying the hell out of us with Subnuke, Repulsors and Gravwells... as well as subsystem targeting and viral matrix. I would consider these the minimum.

*An adaptation mechanic. Make it so you have to be handicapped by installing a Re-modulator console for beam and cannon weapons. Every X period of shots or time the Borg adapt to a weapon-type and you have to trigger a remod cycle. Torpedoes would be immune to the mechanic.

*Finally, change up the objectives a bit. Introduce new bonuses. Conduit for example... Since few people drop the generators using the 10% rule anymore... Make it so you have to pop the generators in a specific sequence, and you have to coordinate the use of specific powers to knock them out. That encourages both DPS-fire-hose and tactics. SOMEONE has to crowd-control. SOMEONE has to bring the science and so forth.

I'd also ask that this Nightmare Mode be reputation based AND locked behind an objective wall. You need to have T5 OMEGA rep, a full OMEGA or MACO set (space for this example) AND you need to have completed 15 or more Elite Runs with the objective intact. And for the love of beef-jerky-on-toast don't set it up to public queue! Make it team/fleet only.

This gives people an incentive to work twords. As it is now, once I complete a Rep I have nothing to do, the new toys I unlock simply make existing content absurdly easy.

I support new modes & making the PvE more difficult. However, I don't support locking anything behind a wall you "have to complete" on a purely queue type environment. For those in fleets and people they generally know, that they are not on with, due to changing the time they play (whether through choice or circumstances forced it), that leaves them without a way to use your "new" queue and difficulty level. You don't feel like PuGging it, then don't. But don't lock it so only those like you can play it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    butcher suspect, "What'd you hit me with?"
    Temperance Brennan, "A building"
  • carasucia83carasucia83 Member Posts: 568 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    You don't feel like PuGging it, then don't. But don't lock it so only those like you can play it.

While I agree with the sentiment, I think the general idea behind this is not an elitist attitude, but more a suggestion for a way to prevent two things: 1. Inexperienced players turning up and being discouraged by the dificulty level, and 2. To attempt to find a way to avoid any justification for a 'lowest common denominator' nerf.

I also think that perhaps a lot of the support for the idea of gating this content is to give fully geared players something to work towards doing. That said, No Win - which I am yet to win - was like that for a time without the need for gating.
    "So my fun is wrong?"

No. Your fun makes everyone else's fun wrong by default.
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I don't mind the idea, but the AI in the game is still pretty dumb all over, so giving them abilities and new mechanics won't matter if the NPCs are still dumbly spamming what abilities that they have anytime the CDs are done without any real 'thought' behind it.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    STO Development Staff,

I like your idea, but echoing what others have said in this thread, a nightmare mode would more appropriately accommodate your suggestions than the current elite mode would.

Also, locking a nightmare stf mode behind t5 rep accolades is quite excessive, but locking it behind completing optionals all all normal stf's seems reasonable.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • lomax6996lomax6996 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    knuhteb5 wrote: »
    I like your idea, but echoing what others have said in this thread, a nightmare mode would more appropriately accommodate your suggestions than the current elite mode would.

Also, locking a nightmare stf mode behind t5 rep accolades is quite excessive, but locking it behind completing optionals all all normal stf's seems reasonable.

Agreed. There are some folks who like it "easy"... so let's not take away their "easy". Instead, if you're no longer feeling challenged, I'd rather seem them add a new, harder level and leave the current levels as they are.:D
    *STO* It’s mission: To destroy strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations... and then kill them, to boldly annihilate what no one has annihilated before!