test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What lies beneath/Depyh of Drozana.

radagast75radagast75 Member Posts: 333 Arc User
In the end of this mission, you need to go to Deep space K-7 to analyze data... This is wrong. In the past, anything that you can process with computer in the station, you can also do onboard your ship.

Question is, why send people needlesly to some old space station to analyze data when all you need is your ship? In Trek TV-series, this would most likely be done by just hailing ship, sending data to be analyzed, get response and continue mission without any need to beam even aboard the ship.

Could this be changed to be more logical?
Captain Hunt, at your service!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by radagast75 on

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Why do I have to run all over the map to talk to NPC's when I have a communicater pinned to my chest?

Why do I have to run all over the map clicking consoles when I'm the flipping Captain and have an away team to do that type of work?

Why are my Engineer and Tact captains being drafted to do medical procedures on NPC's when I have a Medical Boff on my away team?

Answer: Because it's a game not a t.v. show/movie.

Old and tiresome excuse, nothing good will ever come ftom those. I can easily go and to to NPC as he or she may want a personal contact. Besides most of talking with NPC's in this game goes by subspace communications, very rarely you really need to go and meet someone. Going from Drozana to K7 and back is eight kloadibg screens which is ridiculous. Without loadinbg screens it would be even acceotable not to use your ships computer but hardly reasonable or logical.

Not to mention the total amount of loading screens to go Drozana is 16. Add loadings in lower Drozana to it... This game has way too much loading screens.

Next please.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    stonewbiestonewbie Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    It's called time length padding, or game length padding.

If you really set your mind to it you could find a bunch of little things in the game that seem unnecessary and the only thing they do is increase your amount of play time. Lots of games do this, some more obvious then others. I've known about it for a few years, but recently i noticed that BW does this a lot in SWTOR. A lot of missions in SWTOR take place in big underground buildings or complexes. You fight your way through to the end to kill the bad guys, get the doohickie, or rescue whoever. Then once you are done you fight your way back to the entrance. And oddly enough :rolleyes: the last pack you killed seems to have respawned...along with all the other mobs behind him.

The kind of action you are talking about, as insignificant as it may seem, may not fit into a tv episode or movie. They cut out all that insignificant TRIBBLE in the shows and movies because its not important to the advancement of the plot. In a game, especially one that has a sub or profits from you staying on it longe, the whole idea is to keep you playing for as long as possible.
  • Options
    wolfpacknzwolfpacknz Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    radagast75 wrote: »
    In the end of this mission, you need to go to Deep space K-7 to analyze data... This is wrong. In the past, anything that you can process with computer in the station, you can also do onboard your ship.

Question is, why send people needlesly to some old space station to analyze data when all you need is your ship? In Trek TV-series, this would most likely be done by just hailing ship, sending data to be analyzed, get response and continue mission without any need to beam even aboard the ship.

Could this be changed to be more logical?

To point something out, the Spectre's series was launched before the Romulan series and it was only in the Romulan series that they brought in the use of your ships computer to analyze stuff. It's not wrong, (And since you pointed to the shows, they did mention in several episodes about having something analyzed when they get to the nearest starbase). Instead of saying it's wrong (When it actually isn't) You could have just suggested making an alteration to bring it inline with more recent missions than this one..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ***Disenchanted***
    Real Join Date: Monday, 17 May 2010
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Im all for these things that make game last longer, the things you mentioned SWTOR has for example. I hate rushing.

In this game the story is bit different im afraid. The loading screens make it all irritating.

1- You finished mission and ended to that portal which leads to past. First loading screen to get you to door where mission started. Then second when you beam aboard your ship, then third when you warp to sectorspace, fourth to orbit of K7, fifth to get inside and so on. Sometimes in cases like this it is almost half the time loading screen which is nothing to enjoy. I often waste money for Transwarp when travelling since those loading screens just hit you to your nose and the implification that you need to warp to other sector while you are in warp and so on.

Doing minor stuff that is made to add to legth of gameplay is fun, loadin is not.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Don't forget how those mobs frequently are standing around within los and earshot of each other yet they never see or hear the firefight and explosions going on 20 ft away, and they never help out or sound the alarm.

This is one thing CO does best of all three of cryptic's games. The NPCs will scream and run away, and a few will join in fights. They even throw beer bottles and stuff at villains. I wish both STO and NW would pick up a bit of that NPC behavior.
  • Options
    jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    You also have to go to K7 to get the flippin' gun, don't you?
    boldly-watched.png
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Yes, you have to trek through the stars in a Star Trek game.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    elemberq333elemberq333 Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Basically it is a tactic used since computer games started and all it is, is filler. Time filler to make the quest/mission longer. If they made it so you can used your communicator or tell your boffs to go do things then the mission would be over way to soon and that is usually the only reason this type of thing is done.

Someone said, you need to go to Drozana to get the gun, well in other missions I am given warp cores, phaser arrays, shields, impulse engines, etc so that is not true either because they could just give us the gun the same way.

All this sort of thing boils down to is...time filler, simple as that.;)
  • Options
    stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    No no no no guys, it is NONE of the above, it is the deplorable story telling in this game and/or the horrible writing. Why else do we now have Freak'n Dinosaurs with freak'n laser beams on their heads.

BAD WRITING + Devs that do not know TRIBBLE about Star Trek lore, nor do they care about lore.

With the exception of one or two in that studio

:P:P
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    If you want a RP reason, the computers on your starship are not powerful enough to properly analyze the data so the computers on a Starbase are required. Can't use the computers on Drozana because it is not a secure location so you have to go to K7. Also, you can't send the data to another starbase due to the possibility of it being intercepted.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Yes, i have to trek from loading screen to another loading screen to another loading scree to another loading screen to another loading screen.......

As i said, it is not really the journey that is the problem, journey is good. Problem is, how many loading phases you have to go through to actually get trekkin. Then again, it is inevitable pain in a game where space is divided in to layers and numerous sectors.

Seamles move from phase tp another would help here, otherwise i just insist it is better to use your ships resources instead of going to another place and put player through numerous loading screens.

If ector space would be changed to simple warp animation between systems it would feel better... And worse since then yet again one as?ect where you could meet players is eliminated.

For me, every loading screen is at least 5 seconds long, very often it goes to 10 sec and sometimes over it when it stucks in some point for a while.

Bear in mind that time fillers can be done well or they can be made badly. In game like STO which has loading screens everywhere, it is not a best way to make enjoyable time fillers to put player through multiple loading screens which take the same amount of time than actual travel from station to nother. You could easily include minigames like they do in some missions qwhere you have tp go through library files or you could add something like "While you ewait results of our analysis, you could check Drozanas old computer core for info about past events to get ready for your mission there" and so on. Or while waiting results, you could investigate some shady Nausicaan pirate business at Drozana or do some Espionage for KDF.. Perphaps something else. HEck, you could be even given objective to Grab a coffee and play Dabo :D

Or if it is mission at DS9, you could be given objective to talk to Morn and persuade him to join your team, we all know his well articulated response to tyhat :D
    starkaos wrote: »
    If you want a RP reason, the computers on your starship are not powerful enough to properly analyze the data so the computers on a Starbase are required. Can't use the computers on Drozana because it is not a secure location so you have to go to K7. Also, you can't send the data to another starbase due to the possibility of it being intercepted.

Or mayhaps my ships computers are still partially overgoing maintenance because that Iconian virus from previous mission "Cutting the cord" At least that is what i got from that one garbled message from my ship during the mission.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]