Options

Let's Revamp the Crewmen System

1235»

Comments

• Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    frtoaster wrote: »
    but I think able crew has to always be less than alive crew.
    Unless you have some zombies serving aboard your crew, that seems logical.
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    frtoaster wrote: »
    No, able crew is not the same as alive crew as far as the game mechanics are concerned. You can lose both able crew and alive crew, but I think able crew has to always be less than alive crew. My guess is that crew who are alive, but not able, are supposed to be injured.

Yes, the reason I wrote my earlier post is to explain how confusing the current crew system is.

The problem I see is that it lists crew compliment of 2500 with able crew at 2500 in my ship info screen able crew recovery of 58%/min. These numbers never change while in or out of combat for me, so something might be bugged there. But in the ship UI w/crew symbols I can watch my crew numbers go from 2500 to 1300 with some crew losses from battle all while ship info still says 2500 able crew, and as for the little crew symbols they simply turn from white to orange as crew goes from 2500-1300. As I lose more crew eventually those oranges become greys or black, so going to assume it means deaths or just a crappy display for how many crew in general you have. Like oranges represent 1/3, greys 1/3, and whites 1/3. So the information as how the game is differentiating alive vs able vs dead is a backround numbers game with no accurate visual for me to see it's affects other than watching crew numbers plummet along with my passive hull healing.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The problem I see is that it lists crew compliment of 2500 with able crew at 2500 in my ship info screen able crew recovery of 58%/min. These numbers never change while in or out of combat for me, so something might be bugged there.

Maybe, you have gear that affects crew recovery rate. It's also possible that some things have changed since I last tested crew mechanics, though the only change I'm aware of is the one to leadership.
    But in the ship UI w/crew symbols I can watch my crew numbers go from 2500 to 1300 with some crew losses from battle all while ship info still says 2500 able crew, and as for the little crew symbols they simply turn from white to orange as crew goes from 2500-1300. As I lose more crew eventually those oranges become greys or black, so going to assume it means deaths or just a crappy display for how many crew in general you have. Like oranges represent 1/3, greys 1/3, and whites 1/3. So the information as how the game is differentiating alive vs able vs dead is a backround numbers game with no accurate visual for me to see it's affects other than watching crew numbers plummet along with my passive hull healing.

I think the different colors are supposed to mean the following:

white: able and alive
    orange: alive but not able
    grey: dead

Regardless, I think having two different types of crew loss and recovery is unnecessarily complicated.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    After listening to Priority One's discussion about the crew system, it occurred to me. While they specifically mentioned the idea of the DOFF system, we know that wouldn't be too popular since losing DOFFs permanently or having one of your useful DOFFs injured at an inopportune moment, I got the idea, what if we had a Crew System simliar to the DOFF system?

The Crew System would be really more about numbers than individuals like the DOFF system.

You organize your Security Teams that helps deal with countering Boarding Parties.

Engineering Teams helps with repairs.

Science Teams helps with finding countermeasures.

And Medical Teams, the more they are, the more effective in saving crews lives.

You could send some Crew Teams on DOFF missions along with DOFFs. And some ship skills like Subsystem Repairs or BOFF abilities (Tac/Eng/Sci Teams), could affect these crew members. So they could work hand-in-hand.

Hmmmmmmmmmm. That could also make it so you could use Boffs that aren't currently slotted. ;)
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    orangeitis wrote: »
    If we're too scared to revamp a system because it might have bugs, we'll never get anything changed around here. Many of us here feel that it's worth it, so why not take the chance?

It's just a waste of time and effort. Leave it be. Or remove it. The DOFF system has really effectively given us an idea of our "crew" and what it can do for us in terms of gameplay. So right now it's just a bad mechanic, that needs to be left alone.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    capnshadow27capnshadow27 Member Posts: 1,731 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    It's just a waste of time and effort. Leave it be. Or remove it. The DOFF system has really effectively given us an idea of our "crew" and what it can do for us in terms of gameplay. So right now it's just a bad mechanic, that needs to be left alone.

If its broken fix it. Simple as that. Or switch the things that use crew to work off of something else.

As it stands it is just another thing to confuse and irritate, it doesnt work right.

The mentality of its broken leave it alone is what gets us into these sitatuons.
    Inertia just means you can do Powerslides in you carrier!
    I am Il Shadow and i approve these Shennanigans!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    If its broken fix it. Simple as that. Or switch the things that use crew to work off of something else.

As it stands it is just another thing to confuse and irritate, it doesnt work right.

The mentality of its broken leave it alone is what gets us into these sitatuons.

I agree. It should be fixed or at least removed.
  • Options
    thegalaxy31thegalaxy31 Member Posts: 1,211 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    They might be fixing it soon with that new content.
    I would love to visit this star in-game...or maybe this one!
    Won't SOMEONE please think of the CHILDREN?!
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Hmmmmmmmmmm. That could also make it so you could use Boffs that aren't currently slotted. ;)

Not sure how you got that idea. I was thinking in lines of normal BOFF Team Abilities, they work in conjunction with the crew.

Say you were boarded, you still use Tac Team to remove them, but now the speed of depends on the Ability (Tac Team 1, 2, or 3) along with the number of Security Teams you have in the crew system. The more security, the faster the boarding party is thwarted.

Perhaps it could be useful if true exploration ever gets added to STO. Where more Science Teams you got, the better the study of a new world. Maybe they discover something for you to go check out on an away team?
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    They might be fixing it soon with that new content.

I'm going to leave this right here to be immortalized for all time.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Perhaps it could be useful if true exploration ever gets added to STO. Where more Science Teams you got, the better the study of a new world. Maybe they discover something for you to go check out on an away team?
    I've been talking about more non-combat gameplay for a while now. The devs apparently want STO to be strictly combat-oriented, but a lot of elements of the Star Trek verse just don't work if you're just gonna focus on battle. I mean why even give if a diplomat system? A R&D system?
  • Options
    senselockesenselocke Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Wow, this hasn't been fixed or overhauled yet?

The Crew, in addition to the really crappy methods of learning Romulan Marks (bunnies... *shudder*) is why I stopped playing this Spring. "Wait for Season 8" was the mantra.

Well, there are changes. UI looks nice, themes, warp cores, new trait slots... but I see nothing about crew, and 14 pages here seem to indicate that.

Has there even been any mention of this by Cryptic as a problem?
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I'm pretty sure Cryptic is aware of the problem, or at least this thread. What I'm hoping for is them to address it and hopefully overhaul it in or before season 9.