test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Launcher issues and spam

ronofborgronofborg Member Posts: 0 Arc User
I am having issues with the launcher...when i click on the icon for it, it opens up the launcher and then a web browser with multiple tabs advertising cryptic games and star wars online. Another issue i am having is having to hit "Disable" on the advertisement that pops up on the Star Trek Online website.

If anyone knows any work around for these issues...i would appreciate it. I cannot submit a ticket on the website since each time i go to support it says page cannot be displayed.

Thank You.
Post edited by ronofborg on

Comments

• crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    ronofborg wrote: »
    I am having issues with the launcher...when i click on the icon for it, it opens up the launcher and then a web browser with multiple tabs advertising cryptic games and star wars online. Another issue i am having is having to hit "Disable" on the advertisement that pops up on the Star Trek Online website.

If anyone knows any work around for these issues...i would appreciate it. I cannot submit a ticket on the website since each time i go to support it says page cannot be displayed.

Thank You.

You have some browser adware/malware on your PC (which is triggered when you start the STO launcher because it uses MSIE integration APIs and DLLs so said malware triggers because it believes you're launching the MSIE browser.

There are a couple of malware scanners that you can try (which have free versions) that are known for being able to identify and if you're lucky, remove such malware successfully. The two I usually go to if something bad gets past my virus scanner are:

Malwarebytes and/or Spybot Search and Destroy.

Good luck.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • ronofborgronofborg Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I use spybot every day....but still hasn't fixed it. I will try something else and see. Thanks:)