test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Foundry Files Episode 44: Purity 6: Of Sacrifice

This week we cover Foundry tags hitting the tribble test server along with other Foundry news, and then we wrap up our review of the Purity Series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzWdKSh3NSo
Post edited by admiralmurphy1 on

Comments

• Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I keep getting "An error occurred. Please try again later." Maybe it's just still uploading.

nvm: watching now.

Edit: I have no idea if I'm a tiny minority, but 1-3 are my favorite parts of the series. I cringe when you guys keep saying that there wasn't story progression in the missions that progressively enriched our view of culture, society, and the sufferings of a people in need. They were not simply oh poor me... ok let's fight and who do we kill? It was a rich culture with lots of interesting info that griped my attention with parts 1-3. But, I'm probably a minority of players. I really enjoyed learning about the Sajan, and the death camp was a huge reveal for me, far exceeding the plot twists with 4-6. But those are just my impressions as a player, not as someone deeply involved in this series, other than set building.

I'm just confused by the comments that revealing genocide doesn't really advance the plot of a story.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    paxfederaticapaxfederatica Member Posts: 1,496 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    kirksplat wrote: »
    I keep getting "An error occurred. Please try again later." Maybe it's just still uploading.

nvm: watching now.

Edit: I have no idea if I'm a tiny minority, but 1-3 are my favorite parts of the series. I cringe when you guys keep saying that there wasn't story progression in the missions that progressively enriched our view of culture, society, and the sufferings of a people in need. They were not simply oh poor me... ok let's fight and who do we kill? It was a rich culture with lots of interesting info that griped my attention with parts 1-3. But, I'm probably a minority of players. I really enjoyed learning about the Sajan, and the death camp was a huge reveal for me, far exceeding the plot twists with 4-6. But those are just my impressions as a player, not as someone deeply involved in this series, other than set building.

I'm just confused by the comments that revealing genocide doesn't really advance the plot of a story.

It wasn't really necessary to devote one entire mission (Part II) out of the six to this aspect of the story, especially since the Part III concentration-camp sequences did a good enough job of hammering that home.

As I pointed out elsewhere, it also really confused the issue of where the series was headed. It led me to believe that the Megara plot, and the dude with the "vision" ability in particular, would carry over into Parts IV-VI. But in the end, the "vision" thing turned out to be a throwaway gimmick that was never revisited, and nothing else in the Megaran storyline had anything more than a tangential connection to the Paxtonite/President Okeg storyline, or at least that's how it came off to me. Part VI did tie the two halves of the series back together somewhat, but for the most part it felt more like two separate trilogies than a single six-part arc.
  • Options
    admiralmurphy1admiralmurphy1 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    It wasn't really necessary to devote one entire mission (Part II) out of the six to this aspect of the story, especially since the Part III concentration-camp sequences did a good enough job of hammering that home.

This exactly.

Had part two ending somewhere in the middle of part 3 where you knew that it had all been a vision from some guy, I probably would have had less of a problem with that part. However, it has an abrupt ending leaving the player confused as to what happened.

The only real take away story wise from part 2 is getting to see this culture. Part 3 however does the same thing pretty much, hammering home how much the lives of these people now suck because of Starfleet interfering. With Parts 2 and 3 seeming to do the same thing, with part 3 doing it more succesfully in our opinion, that's why we've argued that Part 2's story would have been better had it focused on something else, perhaps fleshing out the ending a bit.

So we're not saying revealing genocide doesn't continue the plot. It does. In fact, we know about the genocide in part one even at the end. Then its continually hammered in from parts 2 and 3. It at most only needed to do so with two parts in my opinion.
  • Options
    lincolninspacelincolninspace Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Good show guys. Here's to your 3 imaginary female viewers :D.
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.