test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

STO has full PhysX support.

senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
A little heads up for Nvidia users.
STO seems to use a fair amount of PhysX effects and physics and can benefit from a secondary GPU dedicated to PhysX.

I am currently running a Multi-GPU setup myself with a GeForce GTX 660 ti and an old GeForce GTX 470 dedicated to PhysX.
Actually set it up last night for an entirely different game, and suddenly noticed when logging on to STO today that the game felt smoother and had much more stable framerates, and of course that my PhysX GPU was actually heating up as if in use.

It was a plesant surprise, and it also makes me want to ask Cryptic a wee question.

Could you perhaps add in even more PhysX awesomeness to the game for those of us who have or are willing to dedicated a graphics card to PhysX processing? :)
Seeing as how STO seems to have native support for it.

I for one would love to see epic and reactive particle effects and debris in both space and ground maps. :D
Not to mention dresses, skirts and other articles of clothing with real cloth physics.
Maybe even real hair physics? Which is something that PhysX does support. :D

And before the naysayers with low/medium end computers come and jump down my throat, let me just point out that PhysX goodies can easily be made "optional" so as to not make the game unplayable for those systems. ;)
Post edited by senatorvreenak on

Comments

• jetwtfjetwtf Member Posts: 1,207
    edited November 2013
    You never noticed debris on the floor being kicked across a room before? or playing Tribble soccer in a fed starbase?
    "I'm drunk, whats your excuse for being an idiot?" - Unknown drunk man. :eek:
  • wildfire0820wildfire0820 Member Posts: 0
    edited November 2013
    jetwtf wrote: »
    you Never Noticed Debris On The Floor Being Kicked Across A Room Before? Or Playing Tribble Soccer In A Fed Starbase?

Tribble Soccer!! :d
  • senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    jetwtf wrote: »
    You never noticed debris on the floor being kicked across a room before? or playing Tribble soccer in a fed starbase?

I always knew that STO utilized the PhysX libraries.
    But I always assumed it was a generic software level implementation of it, like in a lot of other games.
    I never realized before that STO had such a core level of PhysX integration that it actually could utilize and benefit from a Dedicated PhysX GPU.
  • devian666devian666 Member Posts: 473
    edited November 2013
    I will have to check this when I log in later on. I have a similar set up. In the past it has just appeared to be CPU only Physx.

Beaten by the poster above.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2013
    Be sure to check that GPU physics option is ticked under "Troubleshooting" under the Video settings.
    And that you have PhysX configured right in the Nvidia control panel.
  • devian666devian666 Member Posts: 473
    edited November 2013
    Be sure to check that GPU physics option is ticked under "Troubleshooting" under the Video settings.
    And that you have PhysX configured right in the Nvidia control panel.

I will have a look under the troubleshooting settings. I do have gpu physx running on other games which actually support it. I have a separate gpu for just physx.

Cheers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • comtedeloach2comtedeloach2 Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I got debris on the floor being kicked around with a ATI 7850 now, no second card.....Hmmm...
    edited November 2013
    Yes you do, everyone has it.
    But those with a second Nvidia graphics card can dedicate it to PhysX processing.
    Meaning that the calculations for the debris, tribbles, cloth, particle effects etc can be offloaded from your CPU or Graphics card.(Depending on game settings and hardware configuration)

Granted STO does not use as much of it as true PhysX titles do with fully destructible environments and what not, but it is a small performance boost regardless.