test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Extra boff slots in C-store ships

radagast75radagast75 Member Posts: 333 Arc User
I remember when people were okay with shops like these only if things are purely cosmetic. Is boff slots and unique consoles cosmetic? They give you more power, dont they.

In some articles Jack Emmett said that this will not be pay to win. Is this not just that? More power to you when you pay real money.

Is this right? I happen to have money to buy that stuff but do you like it when you dont and you have to play weeks to get stuff that i and others can have in a second? Since when has it been okay to give bonus stuff like this for money?

Now i go to game and propably buy that ship anyways since i can, it must not feel good for those who cant and have ti grind weeks to get same stuff i get for no effort. I know that i am not forced to buy that ship but i just cant resist since it is better than standard ship :/

Cant we all just pay subscriptions and support the game like that and only have true cosmetic stuff and xp boost types in store.
Captain Hunt, at your service!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by radagast75 on

Comments

• Options
    mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The way the game functions now it reaches out to everyone. Those who can afford to can buy c-store items and those who can't but have time to grind can earn in game currency and exchange it for c-store items. So it wins for both... I bet if you ask the F2P player about having to subscribe to keep playing they would most likely so no. There are far more players now than there were before. I like the sub model but I fear this game would be dead if it weren't free to play.

No game is totally without some sort of "pay to win" system... the game must make money to survive. Somehow someone is spending real dollars to pay to keep the servers on. These people want something in return for their money and if its not paying to play then it needs to be for better loot, items, ships, etc. Cosmetics don't sell in this game at least on the volume that's needed to pay for it.
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
  • Options
    mutualcoremutualcore Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    it isn't pay to win...there is nothing to win. maybe its pay to grind a little bit faster and be a little flashier.
  • Options
    packer3434packer3434 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    More boff slots isn't pay-to-win. It just means you have more boffs to choose from, it's not like you can slot more boffs on a particular ship.

In reference to the comment by Jack Emmett, every mmo developer says that and while they may mean it at the time you'd be hard pressed to find many that havent at least skirted pay-to-win.
    Well I can't forget a face but I won't remember y'all.
    Bleed Green and Gold
  • Options
    sparhawksparhawk Member Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    packer3434 wrote: »
    More boff slots isn't pay-to-win. It just means you have more boffs to choose from, it's not like you can slot more boffs on a particular ship.

In reference to the comment by Jack Emmett, every mmo developer says that and while they may mean it at the time you'd be hard pressed to find many that havent at least skirted pay-to-win.

This. The comment form Jack was from before PWE bought the company and the F2P conversion, making it basically irrelevant.