test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Risa, Jet Packs, and PvP

buccaneerdtbbuccaneerdtb Member Posts: 575 Arc User
edited November 2013 in PvP Gameplay
You know you want it. It would work on the last ground map in the Reman featured episode too.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    You know you want it.

Yep, I want to fire 100% to-hit Torp Spreads from one of my starships at folks flying around with Risa Floaters.

;)
  • aetam1aetam1 Member Posts: 228 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    You know you want it. It would work on the last ground map in the Reman featured episode too.

I would go on step further and propose a game mode:

2 teams

One gets jetpacks... with gatlings

The other gets dinos, with lasers

King of the hill.

(but i suppose it would not be very trek like)

My stomach is clear and my mind is full of bacon!
  • ussultimatumussultimatum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I actually debated a few minutes before posting this, I'm not intentionally trying to be a buzzkill.

From what I understand (from previous MMOs) the main stumbling block to something like this is the animations.

The animations generally will be the most time consuming (read: largest expense) part of this.

That doesn't mean its insurmountable, but a lot of things would probably be extremely wonky like most of the Engineers pets, melee would probably be out of the question.

You could probably get a simplified mode with special powers (i.e. the jet pack itself becomes the "kit") and just a simple shoulder/head mounted (frikken) laser beam - as opposed to using your own weapon+animations.
    edited November 2013
    I actually debated a few minutes before posting this, I'm not intentionally trying to be a buzzkill.

From what I understand (from previous MMOs) the main stumbling block to something like this is the animations.

The animations generally will be the most time consuming (read: largest expense) part of this.

That doesn't mean its insurmountable, but a lot of things would probably be extremely wonky like most of the Engineers pets, melee would probably be out of the question.

You could probably get a simplified mode with special powers (i.e. the jet pack itself becomes the "kit") and just a simple shoulder/head mounted (frikken) laser beam - as opposed to using your own weapon+animations.

Think that's pretty much along the lines of what Cryptic said back during the event when folks asked about combat. Hrmmm, I might have imagined it - but I'm pretty sure that's along the lines of what they said when they said nope, not going to happen.

edit: A quick perusal, didn't have it in me for a more in-depth search, came up with the following...
    tacofangs wrote: »
    There are a lot of problems that come from allowing people to fly (trust me, I've worked on 2 separate Superhero MMOs). But Risa was built with this in mind, so it should be good to go. It would be a considerable amount of work (and a billion bugs) if we allowed you to fly your 'floater' everywhere else in the game.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    I'm telling you, there is a ton of work in trying to retrofit an existing map, that was not designed for flying characters. It's not something I want to do, and I really hope we don't head down that rabbit hole.

...which is more about the map designs than the animations. Could have sworn there was something about that too...meh.
  • buccaneerdtbbuccaneerdtb Member Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Think that's pretty much along the lines of what Cryptic said back during the event when folks asked about combat. Hrmmm, I might have imagined it - but I'm pretty sure that's along the lines of what they said when they said nope, not going to happen.

edit: A quick perusal, didn't have it in me for a more in-depth search, came up with the following...

...which is more about the map designs than the animations. Could have sworn there was something about that too...meh.

That doesn't eliminate PvP on Risa.
  • talzerotwotalzerotwo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    you Know You Want It. It Would Work On The Last Ground Map In The Reman Featured Episode Too.

Yes Please ! :d
    [SIGPIC]http://tinyurl.com/msywqm5[/SIGPIC]
    Chillax. No Ego. No Drama.

Like my alien? Watch THE VIDEO
    Need custom graphics for you or your fleet? Click HERE
  • captainednacaptainedna Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    if ground people want to play in space then space people should ask http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqHjgrKird0
    edited November 2013
    That doesn't eliminate PvP on Risa.

It being Risa...eliminates it on Risa.

I mean, honestly, is that where you'd want devs to spend a ludicrous amount of resources...on Floater combat? You'd have to sell them on it for PvE before they'd even consider it for PvP.
    edited November 2013
    It being Risa...eliminates it on Risa.

I mean, honestly, is that where you'd want devs to spend a ludicrous amount of resources...on Floater combat? You'd have to sell them on it for PvE before they'd even consider it for PvP.

So then are you saying that this is not true?
    You know you want it.
    edited November 2013
    So then are you saying that this is not true?

I see there being a lot of broken things - that might need to be addressed (imho) - before they were to tackle anything as resource intensive as adding Floater combat.

Besides, if one is going to dream...dream big, eh?

Imagine a battlefront/warfront where the battle lasts 2-3 weeks (depending on what happens during the battle before resetting). Where you have multiple unlocks and combined arms.

Everybody starts out on foot.
    You can unlock floaters.
    You can unlock ground vehicles.
    You can unlock power armor.
    You can unlock flight-capable power armor.
    You can unlock fighters/shuttles.
    You can even unlock a limited number of starships.

You capture bases, set up teleporter/transport pads, etc, etc, etc.

You have that mix of RTS/FPS - a massive battle...an epic battle.

Of course, you're going to deal with miserable KDF population numbers...so it would likely be garbage and hideously lopsided...thus never happen.

But hey, if one's going to dream - dream big - dream awesome!
    edited November 2013
    I see there being a lot of broken things - that might need to be addressed (imho) - before they were to tackle anything as resource intensive as adding Floater combat.

Besides, if one is going to dream...dream big, eh?

Imagine a battlefront/warfront where the battle lasts 2-3 weeks (depending on what happens during the battle before resetting). Where you have multiple unlocks and combined arms.

Everybody starts out on foot.
    You can unlock floaters.
    You can unlock ground vehicles.
    You can unlock power armor.
    You can unlock flight-capable power armor.
    You can unlock fighters/shuttles.
    You can even unlock a limited number of starships.

You capture bases, set up teleporter/transport pads, etc, etc, etc.

You have that mix of RTS/FPS - a massive battle...an epic battle.

Of course, you're going to deal with miserable KDF population numbers...so it would likely be garbage and hideously lopsided...thus never happen.

But hey, if one's going to dream - dream big - dream awesome!

They called that Battlefield 2142, was really fun too.
    edited November 2013
    They called that Battlefield 2142, was really fun too.

Some of the things listed existed over a decade before 2142. Most of those games all have something in common - it was part of the design from the start. STO's design...well...yeah, it is what it is and Cryptic's mentioned more than a few times what their design goals are for the game.

If Cryptic/PW renew the license - they may want to consider spin-off games, eh? Things designed from the ground up. They've talked about several things - which would make great separate games (or games that are even tied in - run that same toon in multiple games - etc, etc, etc).
  • aquitaine985aquitaine985 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I can totally go one better:

A Q's WinterWonderland jetpack/snow-gun/ice-lake COMBO!

I'd put money on that ****....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    @Aquitaine985
    Lag Industries STO PvP Fleet - Executive
    A Sad Panda of Industrial calibre.
    2010: This is Cryptic PvP. Please hold the line, your call is very important to us...
  • mynameisnommynameisnom Member Posts: 639 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    What SHOULD be implemented is actuallin going into a planet's orbit in your ship, and like youc an land and get out of your ship instead of missing it all by "map moving" That would be epic :-) And like maybe if you hit something you would see the damage WHERE YOU GOT HIT instead of damage all over the ship same places OVER AND OVER
    [SIGPIC]http://s286.photobucket.com/user/parasite_12000/media/jub_zps9318ae82.jpg.html[/SIGPIC]
    stoutes wrote: »
    Those fish are much like their masters, filthy backstabbers... All battlecloaked fish, waiting for the right moment...
    The boss being a gigantic Winter Epohh Researcher. As you lay waste to the Epohh Horde, she can occasionally cry out things like, "Didn't you want an Epohh friend?"
  • illcadiaillcadia Member Posts: 1,412 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2013
    I asked JH about this way back and he confirmed that the main problem was the animations.

I then asked if they couldn't just decouple the 'arms' animation from the rest of the jetpack, and his reply was 'hmm... maybe.'
  • simeion1simeion1 Member Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I like this idea as long as a couple things happen.

If it is implemented on current PvP maps you can only use out of combat. If you make them combat ready pack make them targetable. This will prevent over shooting a map boundaries.

While I would love to see a version of risa a PvP map, big map, objectives, trees for cover. Get anti grav pack turrets, damping fields, and why not throw in some teridacticles (jk).
    320x240.jpg