test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is there any notable RP community here?

Comments

• hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Wait, I'm confused.
    nabreeki, back on page 2 of this very thread, you advertised yourself as a facilitator for exactly the sort of activity that you now seem to be dismissing, decrying, and derogating. Please explain, as I'm getting very mixed signals here.
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    hfmudd wrote: »
    Wait, I'm confused.
    nabreeki, back on page 2 of this very thread, you advertised yourself as a facilitator for exactly the sort of activity that you now seem to be dismissing, decrying, and derogating. Please explain, as I'm getting very mixed signals here.

It's called trolling.
  • thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Isnt it quite difficult to RP? It takes time to write fast? I used to RP in forums. I just never understood the concept of RP on STO. I mean how it worked. And how do you save the conversations.. for later reference?

It sounds like a cool idea though.
  • protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Wait, I'm confused.

You're not familiar with the in-game behavior of nabreeki and the fleet he/she is from, are you? It's too bad there is no way (or at least I've yet to find a way) to search a player's forum posts (but then again, you wouldn't be able to see some of them, since they've been removed from public view or edited by Mods or Staff), because even the forum behavior of this gang of ... players would be enlightening.

kojirohellfire is correct, the answer is "trolling."

If you would like to join an RP fleet, a fleet that encourages RP, or a fleet which welcomes RP, or even a fleet which tolerates RP, then you'll need to look at some fleet other than nabreeki's.
    edited November 2013
    I see. So you're saying that the poster in question (and, possibly, by extension, the fleet they belong to and claim to represent) is dishonestly and disingenuously taking whatever position supports their real agenda, without regard for consistency, let alone truth?

How unfortunate.
  • ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,428 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I see. So you're saying that the poster in question (and, possibly, by extension, the fleet they belong to and claim to represent) is dishonestly and disingenuously taking whatever position supports their real agenda, without regard for consistency, let alone truth?

How unfortunate.

Close enough.

On a side, slightly unrelated, note, there are certain fleets in this game that feel that it is their responsibility to police the game, and those whom they don't like, they find ways to annoy, troll, and generally just be a pain in the REDACTED. They've gotten rather good though in game and especially in the forums, on what is commonly known as spin doctoring and propaganda. Of course, they'll cry the victim in all of this, and say everyone just misunderstands them.

The sad part is, they tend to figure ways to ruin everyone else's enjoyment of their game other then their own when they are around, then cry when people complain saying they have the right to do whatever they want to enjoy the game. The sadder part is... the devs seem to agree, or at least they don't disagree. It is commonly these fleets that have caused the RPers to go into hiding, making them happier and happier with each retreat. They don't just enjoy it, they gloat about it.

Of course they'll always try to spin it, but if you watch long enough, they always make a mistake and make their true colors known.

Now back to the topic on hand. It is possible, and this is your decision, if you've just discovered one of those mistakes. Of course I expect any time now, someone to come in a decry how unfair I've been in all of this, and how I've simply misrepresented them, and they'll try and draw me into an argument. It's generally how these things work.
  • spacegoatcx#8996 spacegoatcx Member Posts: 175 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Starfleet Dental has never had a problem with roleplay. We have a problem with what most people interpret to be roleplay. We ourselves enjoy a good session pretending to be on a diplomatic mission, helping colonists, taking scientific surveys or generally living the Trek captain dream.

Unfortunately the majority of the "roleplay" community interprets roleplay to mean standing at bars wearing tacky pompous uniforms making bottom-barrel dating site level passes at any female characters they see, or attempting to initiate ERP.

We seem to recall Star Trek being more about exploration of both the mind and of space and not about trying to get a cheap dirty talk session with random strangers.

In any case, all of this negative press about us is due to our refusal to take part in such activities and rebuking their approaches, and should you wish to experience a classy true-to-Trek roleplay session I extend my personal invitation for you to join the Starfleet Dental Academy. We'd be happy to have another Dentist with us to fight the war on cavities! :)
    FvMLllF.jpg
  • shaanithegreenshaanithegreen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    protogoth wrote: »
    If you would like to join an RP fleet, a fleet that encourages RP, or a fleet which welcomes RP, or even a fleet which tolerates RP, then you'll need to look at some fleet other than nabreeki's.

There are RPers in Dental. Actual RPers, I mean, not using it as an excuse to annoy ERPers on Drozana. Although they enjoy that, too. I know some of them, won't name names, though.
    lerpyderp wrote: »
    \Unfortunately the majority of the "roleplay" community interprets roleplay to mean standing at bars wearing tacky pompous uniforms making bottom-barrel dating site level passes at any female characters they see, or attempting to initiate ERP.

And yet, we didn't create GBS 2.1. I think we all know who the real monsters here are.
  • shaanithegreenshaanithegreen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    nabreeki wrote: »
    But, of course, that wasn't the point of your little one-liner there, was it?

The point of my little one-liner was to be a funny little one-liner.

In case you didn't notice, I was just defending your fleet in the very same post, and I've conversed civilly with you across several of these threads.

Edit: Paranormal/Conspiracy also sucks this time. It was funny last time, but now I can't help but think it's run it's course.
  • purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    All you need as evidence of a certain fleet's "contributions" to the RP community is to look at how they derail every single thread related to RP.
    edited November 2013
    I'm going to urge everyone to avoid replying to nabreeki & co. further in this thread, lest they succeed in getting yet another RP thread locked/removed.
  • purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    protogoth wrote: »
    I'm going to urge everyone to avoid replying to nabreeki & co. further in this thread, lest they succeed in getting yet another RP thread locked/removed.

I didn't even name names. Perhaps they have a guilty conscience? :rolleyes::D
    edited November 2013
    Back on topic:

With the recent issues involving chat, the friends list, and in-game emails, I've had to put my plans on hold temporarily, but I have not forgotten, and will continue working on this when things are working as they should again.
    edited November 2013
    nabreeki:

I'd still like you to explain, if you can, how you went from declaring yourself (and your fleet, "one of STO's most celebrated" - I note that you mentioned/brought it up yourself) to be "robust" RPers focusing on "serious immersion" to, twelve hours and twenty minutes later, declaring RPers to be a "tired, desperate whin[y] [...] player minority seen as a nuisance" by most and dismissing their "entitlement" and "cries of 'my immersion'", and (roughly eleven hours after that) disclaiming that you had ever "brought individual fleets into this". These are all your own words, as can be easily determined by reading the posts in question.

This apparent contradiction concerns me greatly. Please clarify, before I'm forced to conclude that nothing you say can be taken at face value.
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Well ****, this thread's going to get locked isn't it?
    edited November 2013
    My reasons are simple: I think you're a liar.
    But then, I am also a liar. My good friend Jimmy Kirk said so, quite plainly: "Everything Harry Mudd says is a lie."
    And I'll back him up, too: "I am lying."

The thread may now proceed. :)
  • heartburzumheartburzum Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    My reasons are simple: I think you're a liar.
    But then, I am also a liar. My good friend Jimmy Kirk said so, quite plainly: "Everything Harry Mudd says is a lie."
    And I'll back him up, too: "I am lying."

The thread may now proceed. :)

This is one of the most convoluted and say nothing posts I have seen on these forums in a while.
    hb-sig
    You know what it is...
    -Supporter of Cryptic Lockboxes!
    edited November 2013
    Criticizing my roleplay, now? No respect for the classics...
    I'll give you a sound thrashing, laddiebuck, see if I don't!
  • heartburzumheartburzum Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Criticizing my roleplay, now? No respect for the classics...
    I'll give you a sound thrashing, laddiebuck, see if I don't!

Roleplaying in the general discussion forum... Sorry I didn't see it and the only word I can think of at the moment is "unhinged"
    hb-sig
    You know what it is...
    -Supporter of Cryptic Lockboxes!
  • devian666devian666 Member Posts: 473
    edited November 2013
    You are one of the few players that doesn't RP a turgid prime directive following captain. Perhaps use of IC and OOC tags would help.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • magnumstarmagnumstar Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    If someone gets a KDF RP group going I'll come back to STO, I've been on hiatus playing other Cryptic titles. Star base 381 is a great idea but it needs to be moved to a neutral zone where both factions can visit it. It makes for greater dynamics if there is cross faction RP so hopefully at some future date either the Dev's or players will find a way to bridge the gap between them. DS9 used to be a good place for cross faction Rp'ing, not sure if it's still being used now that the rep system has made going there obsolete.

Does anyone know if it's possible to invite people from the opposing faction to your ship? If not that would be a great RP feature for the Devs to add in. Another feature I'd like to see is cross faction teaming as well as cross faction Fleet actions.
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Member Posts: 3,085 Arc User1
    edited November 2013
    magnumstar wrote: »
    Does anyone know if it's possible to invite people from the opposing faction to your ship?

It is possible.

I'm looking for KDF equivalent of SB 381. It's a great idea, but two of my three toons are KDF aligned. An Orion privateer and Romulan captain.
    edited November 2013
    I'm looking for KDF equivalent of SB 381.

I'm working on it.

However, I can't moderate the channel by myself, and, until the recent (current?) issues with chat, friend list, and mail are sorted, it's a bit challenging to know who is actually in-game and communicate with them about the possibility of helping out. I've managed to ask two people from my fleet so far. One already does this with three other chat channels and is understandably concerned about being able to be effective in moderating a fourth. The other is willing, but not able to be online as much as some, so I would still need others to help out (I would need others anyway, since two people wouldn't be enough even if we were both in-game a lot).

I won't turn this into a fleet recruitment thread; joining my fleet would not be a prerequisite to help moderate the channel.

SB381 involves more than one fleet opening their starbase for this purpose, and members of more than one fleet monitoring the chat channel. Perhaps some of you who are interested could talk with your fleet leadership and see if they're willing to commit their fleet starbases and some members to help out with the channel (subject to mutual agreement between them and myself, naturally)?