test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Federation Tractor Beam

dharmasaladharmasala Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Included standard on most (if not all) Federation ships. The Tractor Beam is an inherent ability and does not require a console or a 3 peice set to unlock. The only difference between this Tractor and a normal Science Bridge Officer Tractor is that it does not have a damage component.

It always kind of irks me that tractor beams are not a considered a standard starship component. Why is my Bridge officer required to install actual hardware into my starship? I dont need one to install a hangar or a (gasp) cloaking device.

The tractor is the natural antithesis of the cloak. If Starfleet players have to kit their ships to be able to counter cloaks, then their enemies should have to kit themselves to counter the tractors. Maybe science oriented Romulan or Klingon ships (see: Gorn) can have the inherent Tractor as well.

Good or bad I dont know. But its been rolling around in my head for a bit now and I thought Id see what others thought of the idea.
Post edited by dharmasala on

Comments

• tlamstriketlamstrike Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    dharmasala wrote: »
    The tractor is the natural antithesis of the cloak.

That is like saying a headlock is the antithesis of camouflage. The countermeasure to stealth is either high powered active sensors to burn though the stealth or very sensitive passive sensors to pick up the target despite the stealth.
    It always kind of irks me that tractor beams are not a considered a standard starship component. Why is my Bridge officer required to install actual hardware into my starship? I dont need one to install a hangar or a (gasp) cloaking device.
    BOFF abilities are not hardware they are abilities that take the hardware and make it perform better. Oh and there is a BOFF version of a Cloaking Device: mask energy signature.
    My Romulan Liberated Borg character made it to Level 30 and beat the (old) Defense of New Romulus with the skill point bug. :D
  • capnshadow27capnshadow27 Member Posts: 1,731 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    dharmasala wrote: »
    Included standard on most (if not all) Federation ships. The Tractor Beam is an inherent ability and does not require a console or a 3 peice set to unlock. The only difference between this Tractor and a normal Science Bridge Officer Tractor is that it does not have a damage component.

The tractor is the natural antithesis of the cloak. If Starfleet players have to kit their ships to be able to counter cloaks, then their enemies should have to kit themselves to counter the tractors. Maybe science oriented Romulan or Klingon ships (see: Gorn) can have the inherent Tractor as well.

Good or bad I dont know. But its been rolling around in my head for a bit now and I thought Id see what others thought of the idea.

They are getting installed on Tuesday, unfortunately there is no time progression in this game, so it remains Monday perpetually....
    Inertia just means you can do Powerslides in you carrier!
    I am Il Shadow and i approve these Shennanigans!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]