test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Starship design discussion

cavaleriuscavalerius Member Posts: 126 Arc User
Right, so mixed discussions have arisen lately relating to the Starships that Cryptic has released in recent times. In the past few weeks the Avenger class battle cruiser and the Obelisk carrier have been launched, but the critical reception has been somewhat mixed.

Now because a ship has less customization available to it, the design has to be preferable and appealing. What do you think makes a ship look appealing?

What I would like you to do is list a few trekkie ships that are favorites to you. Three maybe?
They can be any star trek ships, in-game or not. Then list a ship that you would love to see added to the game as a playable starship. Give cryptic some ideas to ponder over...
Finally choose a ship that you want banished from the game so you can no longer gain it (but still keep if you have it). It'll be interesting to see what people think. Try and provide some reasons for your choices as well.

I personally like the Aventine class, Intrepid class and the Legacy class starship.
I would love to see the Proteus class starship appear though: http://screenshots.filesnetwork.com/8/files2/117861_2.jpg
Its probably because it's a graceful AND futuristic design which Cryptic seems to be avoiding.
Sorry, these are Federation ships; haven't explored the non-fed ships yet.

It would be nice to see the "whale" ships go; aka the Avenger and Regent class, or at least change the ghastly neck and secondary hulls of them. Have no idea what they were thinking to be honest...
Beta Antares Shipyards advanced Starship development project.
CLASSIFIED
[SIGPIC]the_forseeable_future_by_jetfreak_7-d3dvsud.png
[/SIGPIC]
SUPPORT LOGICAL FEDERATION STARSHIP DESIGNS!
Post edited by cavalerius on

Comments

• Options
    latiasracerlatiasracer Member Posts: 680 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    So many people on this forum focus all their energy into telling others what they can and can't like i am surprised they have time to login to even look at the designs that they hate so much.
    warp plasma can't melt neutronium beams
  • Options
    jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    cavalerius wrote: »
    Now because a ship has less customization available to it, the design has to be preferable and appealing.

Does it? As I recall the principles, form should follow function. There are plenty of precedents for rather unattractive vehicles being very effective--Stuka, Hellcat, and Corsair come to mind.

I always thought the idea of customization in ships was to allow the ship I fly to be slightly different than the one you fly, even if we've elected the same general class of ship. Perceived beauty doesn't enter into it. We customize our ground avatars for the same reason. That's why the game isn't called "Star Trek: Kirks Online."

Anyway, I think your argument would be stronger if you indicated that you have a preference for a certain idea (as quoted above) instead of stating it as if it was Newton's law of gravitation.
    boldly-watched.png
  • Options
    tinkerstormtinkerstorm Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    cavalerius wrote: »
    I would love to see the Proteus class starship appear though: http://screenshots.filesnetwork.com/8/files2/117861_2.jpg
    Its probably because it's a graceful AND futuristic design
    I don't think you understand the meaning of the word graceful, as your example is clearly a space whale.