test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why are Female NPCs So Oversized in STO?

2»

Comments

• Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I noticed this thread a few days ago, and since then I've kept an eye out for big NPC chicks, and I just don't see it. I'm not saying all of the game's NPCs are 'human-accurate', they're all taller than 21st century average.

But it seems clear to me that the game's character artists tried to keep all of the contacts within a realistic height range and normal proportions.
  • Options
    fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    OP plays a human and not all races are of the same size. Klingons and Orions are quite tall to human standards and we don't know if the males from these races are on average taller than the females as is the case with humans.

However there are some issues with character size. Nausicaan are about 2 meter on average. You cannot make a 2 meter Nausican in the game.

The other day I played the new episode and the Klingon female commander, Korat, was taller than my Klingon fed character, that has a size of 1,98 meter. Worf is also very tall. Shon is the only one that fits in as normal.

It looks like game designers have a tendency to make important NPC bigger and taller. And here I agree with the OP. It breaks immersion, it looks ugly. It looks like things are of different scale. As a child I had toy soldiers. I had them in different scale. 1/72 and 1/32 are common scales for toy figurines, but you cannot play with your 1/72's and at the same time, in the same setting, with your 1/32's. If I can do that, I also can bring in my teddy bear that is 2 feet high.

Please understand this. It is a game, it is important.
  • Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    fovrel wrote: »
    OP plays a human and not all races are of the same size. Klingons and Orions are quite tall to human standards and we don't know if the males from these races are on average taller than the females as is the case with humans.

However there are some issues with character size. Nausicaan are about 2 meter on average. You cannot make a 2 meter Nausican in the game.

The other day I played the new episode and the Klingon female commander, Korat, was taller than my Klingon fed character, that has a size of 1,98 meter. Worf is also very tall. Shon is the only one that fits in as normal.

It looks like game designers have a tendency to make important NPC bigger and taller. And here I agree with the OP. It breaks immersion, it looks ugly. It looks like things are of different scale. As a child I had toy soldiers. I had them in different scale. 1/72 and 1/32 are common scales for toy figurines, but you cannot play with your 1/72's and at the same time, in the same setting, with your 1/32's. If I can do that, I also can bring in my teddy bear that is 2 feet high.

I think you just wrote a Q battle.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited November 2013

^What this guy says.
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited December 2013
  • Options
    azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I think most characters in STO seem a little oversized... except the midget ones. For some reason the majority of players seem to have an aversion to average sized people- they go to one extreme or the other. NPCs are generally on the bigger side of things too.

And who decided that the Gorn are just extremely massive? The one that Kirk fought was only a couple inches taller than he was.

I guess it makes sense for people in STO to be oversized given the size of the interiors, but even still, it all looks a bit off.
  • Options
    azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    If I can do that, I also can bring in my teddy bear that is 2 feet high.

Well... you can. Just sayin'.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    azniadeet wrote: »
    And who decided that the Gorn are just extremely massive? The one that Kirk fought was only a couple inches taller than he was.
    It was also made of rubber.
  • Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Member Posts: 3,085 Arc User1
    edited December 2013
    Why is everything oversized in STO? From hand-held guns to environments and NPC?

Just don't pay any attention to what is written on height sliders in tailor. Make yourself higher/taller/average in comparison with interiors and NPC models, and ignore numbers in tailor. They're wrong, they might be correct at some point in game development, but nowadays no NPC follows them.
  • Options
    jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Why is everything oversized in STO? From hand-held guns to environments and NPC?

Just don't pay any attention to what is written on height sliders in tailor. Make yourself higher/taller/average in comparison with interiors and NPC models, and ignore numbers in tailor. They're wrong, they might be correct at some point in game development, but nowadays no NPC follows them.
    Well, people do make oversized characters. Mine is 1,8m tall and is still mostly midget compared to most, lol. :D
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Mine is 5'3" and is a total midget. :D
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Yeah, the height meter on the tailor menu is horribly inaccurate.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    orangeitis wrote: »
    Yeah, the height meter on the tailor menu is horribly inaccurate.

I think that's part of the problem.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Could the devs fix it though? It has more to do with the scale sliders more than the height slider it seems.