test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Let us choose away team size

radagast75radagast75 Member Posts: 333 Arc User
Let us choose the size of our away teams, there are many missions that could be accomplished in smaller crew and missions in exploration where you only would take science officer with you for example.

If you cant manage with smaller away team, it would not be Cryptics fault you lost the fight. If there is concer about this, then implement the away team size decision as part of Elite play mode.
Captain Hunt, at your service!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by radagast75 on

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Also let our captains stay on the damn ship if we want to

It is, or at least was a St6arfleet regulation that Captain should never lead an away team so why not. At least cosmetically it should be possible.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    stf65stf65 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    radagast75 wrote: »
    It is, or at least was a St6arfleet regulation that Captain should never lead an away team so why not. At least cosmetically it should be possible.
    The 'regulation' was added into tng because CBS thought Frakes was going to be the star. He was going to lead all the away missions and be the big hero while Picard was just going to be a mature, father figure guiding him from the bridge. Stewart had so much charisma, and the fans gravitated to him so quickly, that it never panned out, which is why after season 1 you see Picard involved in almost everything.

Funny anecdote: Stewart originally auditioned for the Data role.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    stf65 wrote: »
    The 'regulation' was added into tng because CBS thought Frakes was going to be the star. He was going to lead all the away missions and be the big hero while Picard was just going to be a mature, father figure guiding him from the bridge. Stewart had so much charisma, and the fans gravitated to him so quickly, that it never panned out, which is why after season 1 you see Picard involved in almost everything.

Funny anecdote: Stewart originally auditioned for the Data role.

Yes. Still it was a regulation and one that made much sense as well in military terms. Reason why it was put in the series is irrelevant.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Reason why it was put in the series is irrelevant.
    As the 'regulation' was not in enterprise, tos, tas, or ds9 the reason for it being in tng was quite relevant. If the produced had known Picard was going to be the star they never would have invented the regulation to justify why the 1st officer was going the missions rather then the captain.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    As the 'regulation' was not in enterprise, tos, tas, or ds9 the reason for it being in tng was quite relevant. If the produced had known Picard was going to be the star they never would have invented the regulation to justify why the 1st officer was going the missions rather then the captain.

Producers are irrelevant. Who was meant to be the star is irrelevant as inside the Star Trek, it is only the characters and stuff inside these films and series that matters.

What is the offense in having such regulation anyway? Does it not make sense in military terms why commander of any vessel is not permitted to leave on dangerous missions.

TOS, TAS and Enterprise happen before TNG and Janeway and if my memory is not totally in error, in DS0 these days were talked as the days when captains allowed to do stuff not possible these days and so on.

It is true that DS9 did not enforce this regulation quite so much but then again it was totally different case with installation being space station, not a ship and even in Defiant case, it was Worf who commanded that ship later on and the way i see it, circumstances forced people to work outside of box quite often.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    What is the offense in having such regulation anyway? Does it not make sense in military terms why commander of any vessel is not permitted to leave on dangerous missions.
    Star Trek is not real, nor is it attempting to emulate a real military. Does it make sense in Kirk's time, 2 centuries past our current time, that the captain, first officer, and chief medical officer went on all missions? No, it does not. What makes interesting stories for viewers to watch, or pay money to watch, or even to play in a game, is not the same as what makes things realistic. That is why you see Picard shooting borg, an dealing with ba'ku, and looking for Kirk, or beaming onto a scimitar rather then Riker.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    valoreah wrote: »
    See, I disagree. It made sense because Kirk was awesome. He was the most awesome of the entire crew. Just look at the stuff he did every week on TOS.

I mean, could Chekov have defeated all the Drill Thralls in single combat like Kirk did in "Gamesters of Triskellion"? No, I think not. Would Yeoman Rand been able to gather materials to construct a bamboo cannon to shoot the Gorn Captain in Arena? Probably not.
    Kirk was cool, but he would have lost and died many times if not for Spock. While many episodes were won because Kirk punched and 'kirk-rolled' his way through a foe just as many were won by some secret vulcan 'magic': mind meld, double eyelids, nerve pinch, and so on. :D
  • Options
    kapla1755kapla1755 Member Posts: 1,249
    edited October 2013
    You know you can leave many of your away team at a Rally point as necessary. I commonly do this for the nimbus prisoner rescue mission as the AI path finding is horrendous there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    kapla1755 wrote: »
    You know you can leave many of your away team at a Rally point as necessary. I commonly do this for the nimbus prisoner rescue mission as the AI path finding is horrendous there.

True this but all this is not working well for someone like me who "lives" the game i play so to say. A type of solo roleplay if you will, similar to what some folks do with Elder scrolls series or in many other RPG's or MMORPG's outt here :)

Yes it is not real but then i can not really coverse of my desires of game with someone who thinks completely different way.

Beside's the true hero's and heroine's of ToS were those numerous red shirts who took it in instead of getting to dead Jim ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    One of my few criticisms of DS9 is that it had even less excuse for having the captain on away missions than TNG did. Realistically, Sisko and Co. would've either transferred to command the Defiant full-time or they'd have had an entire second crew. And Odo, a civilian police officer, would most certainly not have been manning a console on the Defiant's bridge.

But you can probably see why this would be a problem for a TV show.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Let us choose the size of our away teams, there are many missions that could be accomplished in smaller crew and missions in exploration where you only would take science officer with you for example.

If you cant manage with smaller away team, it would not be Cryptics fault you lost the fight. If there is concer about this, then implement the away team size decision as part of Elite play mode.

Can't you do almost that anyway? Take a couple generic redshirts w/ you, they don't do much.
  • Options
    smoovioussmoovious Member Posts: 264 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    valoreah wrote: »
    Kirk was cool, but he would have lost and died many times if not for Spock.
    The inverse of this is also true.
    ... and how epic long-term friendships are made. :D

-- Smoov
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    If I don't participate in Away missions, how will I ever find an alien female to fall in love with?

My Boffs, are little more than suicidal lemmings without my guidance I need to be there.

Too bad my KDF captain's can only execute incompetent officers.
  • Options
    smoovioussmoovious Member Posts: 264 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I think the idea is that you would still control the away team leader character when you stay on board the ship.

-- Smoov
  • Options
    fallenhawkfallenhawk Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I think this gone bit off topic . As for the topic at hand yeah let me choose how many I want comes with me because I want kill the bloody basters .
    [SIGPIC]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/Badbones/Mysig.png[/SIGPIC]
    I can still move.
    I can still fight.
    I will never give up!
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,886 Arc User
    edited October 2013

especially early on where it's scan 5X objects in the exploration missions
    sig.jpg