test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Bridge Officer, STO's secret weapon

krovankrovan Member Posts: 86 Arc User
I like having my bridge officers with me, in general I think STO needs to make bridge officers much more interesting and fleshed out, there isn't really another mmo where you have an old school party based aspect to the game on top of everything else.

SWOTOR's companions comes close, but I'd like to see STO add in boff traits that trigger dialogue and behaviour.

For example imagine when editing a new bridge officer there was a pulldown of personality traits:

Aggressive
Cocky
Depressed
Wise
Arrogant

And during missions there could be triggers added that cause bridge officers with these traits to speak out, or act out based on the trait, for example:

A player is speaking to an NPC about fixing a wap coil in a mission, one of his bridge officers has the depressed trait, when you agree to fix the warp coil to progress, the bridge officer gets one of the sidebar dialogue popups

"Warp coils, it's always warp coils."

Another Bridge officer has the cocky trait and it triggers

"I can fix that blindfolded"

You get the idea, perhaps in some missions bridge officers with conflicting personalities would argue or debate like in baldurs gate, adding more RPG mechanics to the experience.
http://soundcloud.com/krovan-1
Post edited by krovan on

Comments

• dom1941dom1941 Member Posts: 156 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I like that idea, I made my OP's officer look aggressive so having her "talk" in the same way would be great!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I like the idea as well; it'd be especially useful for having Vulcan boffs sound like Vulcans.
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
    edited October 2013
    Ooo what about a trait designed for borg officers like my engineer officer...or maybe Anaer and Catains?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    i see this title and all i can think is Tovan 2.0 :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • felixhexfelixhex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I love this idea. I have always something of a reputation system just for our Boff's. I didn't really use all my boff's all the time. I stuck with the main group, but in the end I could promote everyone even if they never did anything. I though this would be cool...

Promote to Lieutenant

Certain amount of EC
    missions deployed (for example putting them in charge of a doff mission or simply rewarding you a token to be consumed X number of times to represent how many missions you take them on.)

I would like this, including the main idea of this thread
    edited October 2013
    felixhex wrote: »
    I love this idea. I have always something of a reputation system just for our Boff's. I didn't really use all my boff's all the time. I stuck with the main group, but in the end I could promote everyone even if they never did anything. I though this would be cool...

Promote to Lieutenant

Certain amount of EC
    missions deployed (for example putting them in charge of a doff mission or simply rewarding you a token to be consumed X number of times to represent how many missions you take them on.)

I would like this, including the main idea of this thread

That's a great idea! I usally stick with a group as well and use the same ones every mission
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I've been suggesting this for three years. Everything I ever heard was that Cryptic was concerned that what they would do might clash with your goals for your BOs but every once in awhile since rep was introduced, there has been talk about giving players a micro-rep with each BO where they can customize them more.

I think it would be interesting if they, say, had this unlock costume features for BOs like Odyssey rolled up sleeves, Odyssey toolkit, Odyssey labcoat (with variations for Roms and Klingons as well. Open up new stances and behaviors with a new functional trait at the end of the tree.

It could basically be handled as Myers Briggs/Jungian/Keirsey typology.

Extroversion/Introversion
    Sensing/Intuition
    Thinking/Feeling
    Judging/Perceiving

Albeit with Trekked up names. You choose each one or the other at each stage of a given BO's rep, affecting/unlocking cosmetics and passives. The final combination opens one of 16 personalities.

I'd imagine each BO would end up costing around 400k EC, a certain amount of expertise, and take around 10 days of projects to max out. Making 5 BOs together the equivalent of a single reputation grind.
  • felixhexfelixhex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I love the ideas. BO rep system

Maybe each tier would represent a rank, so 3 tiers. The final tier you complete grants that BO his/her promotion to Commander.

Like we have the ability to purchase weapons and what not now in our current rep systems, we would be able to unlock things to customize our BO's. Like has been mentioned in this thread already. Stances, catch phrases, special attire to indicate their place or function on your ship.

I see this as possible way to promote your first officer to Captain if we ever get that option to do that someday. The new 4 tier, promote to captain would be complete so many STF's. Drop some energy credits and XP. I want all this. Please do Cryptic. And if you make the decision to do this someday, don't be cryptic, be very forth coming.
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    One of the reasons I've stuck with STO for so long (even when I'm not playing, I still visit the forums) is because of the possibility of having my own fully customizable minions following me around and dressing them up in stupid outfits.

WHERE IS MY SKANT CRYPTIC????
  • sagison1sagison1 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I like anything that lets us add some more life to the BOFFs, such as additional emotes and the ability to order the BOFFs to perform them.
  • roxbadroxbad Member Posts: 695
    edited October 2013
    The ideas in this thread have merit.
  • krovankrovan Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    It would really be interesting in combat as well if critical hits caused taunts to be triggered based on personalities, also incapacitated flavour text.

Hopefully a dev will catch the thread. It's strange how since dragon age there really hasn't been a solid party based rpg. Bridge officers are such a great unique opportunity to provide game play that other MMO games can't provide.
  • nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    krovan wrote: »
    ... I'd like to see STO add in boff traits that trigger dialogue and behaviour.

Thats why I like taking my Breen boff on away missions, every now and again he talks...in Breen :D The first time I heard that I was thrilled lol :D
    server_hamster6.png
    edited October 2013
    It would really be interesting in combat as well if critical hits caused taunts to be triggered based on personalities, also incapacitated flavour text.

If any of my starfleet officers engage in the taunting their wounded adversaries, they will be dismissed immediately.
  • thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I love this idea.. it would make it more personalized.
  • krovankrovan Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I love this idea.. it would make it more personalized.
    roxbad wrote: »
    If any of my starfleet officers engage in the taunting their wounded adversaries, they will be dismissed immediately.

Ah but if you chose compassionate or Dutiful as personality traits for your officers they could say things like this on critical hits or killing a foe

compassionate "I do what I must, I take no joy in this."

Dutiful "Neutralized on your orders sir"
    edited October 2013
    Ah but if you chose compassionate or Dutiful as personality traits for your officers they could say things like this on critical hits or killing a foe

Ooo I like that...maybe they should have small arguments...for instance say a logical Vulcan and a "hot head" human over the captain joining the Remen resistence leaders offer: Human: " What why are you sideing with the nutjobs?!" Vulcan: "The Remens are a people in need it was a l- *human*:"Shut up you green blooded goblin!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2013

Okay. That I can see, but there had better be no teabagging!