test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Am I wasting skill points?

quadraxis666quadraxis666 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited October 2013 in The Academy
Never been able to find out or get an answer on this in game so hopefully someone in forum land knows,..

I have fully maxed every Tactical skill in the skill tree apart from stealth & threat control, what I want to know is, do any of the enormous list of accolade passives that give +2 or +5 to weapon skills, and the reputation powers that give +30 or whatever it was to weapon proficiency etc actually push me past the max on those skills i have maxed already, or is it literally skill points down the toilet?

I am considering a respec based on this to maximize efficiency blah blah and so on

Thanks to anyone who can answer :D
Post edited by quadraxis666 on

Comments

• Options
    battykoda0battykoda0 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I am not sure I really catch your meaning but I will answer this way...

When you place points in your skill tree, you do not get a linear score buildup. You get more for points 1-3, moderate for points 4-6, basically nothing for points 7-9. You have, I believe since the game is offline currently and I can't verify but will if you want when it is back from maint, you get 84 points for your first 6 points in a skill and only 15 for the last 3. You can most likely nail down +15 from a console and put those last points elsewhere like resists or something.
    Wow. There is a new KDF Science ship. I'll be!
  • Options
    lhoygowlhoygow Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The answer is yes and no. Yes, you are wasting the points because there is a huge dropoff in what is gained for the points spent beyond 84...and no, because you do still gain something.

http://home.comcast.net/~amicus/Skill%20Point%20Effects.htm

Based on the above, and assuming that points above 99 have the same effect as 84-99 the following can be calculated for, let's say the Omega Weapons bonus trait of +30 to weapons skill: you will get basically +12 points of damage per energy weapon (+2 per 5 skill points above 84) and +165 points of damage from kinetics (using photons from the table, +33 per 5 skill points).

Hope that helps.
  • Options
    dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    There is no hard cap for skill points. The more you get the better you become.

I think each skill tops off at 99 through the skill tree, items that add more points to these skills have a linear affect
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree