test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Importance Of Finding The Right Fleet

koflanmkoflanm Member Posts: 6 Arc User
When I first started playing Star Trek Online I got invited to a Fleet my first week. Everyone was nice and helpful. I decided that I wanted to be a Fleet Admiral. The Fleet was relatively new so I got straight to work gaining everything I need for contributions. Finally within a few months I made it from Admiral to Fleet Admiral. I immediately began working on the events board, recruitment, mentoring, the bank, and the roster (getting ride of inactives).

Slowly but surely the other Fleet Admirals began to get burned out and quit and for good reason. I foolishly began taking over their responsabilities because I loved being a Fleet Admiral and helping people.

There came a point when I was in charge of the Fleet for a whole month. The owner of the Fleet told me to do whatever was necessary to run the Fleet in his absence. I began delegating out tasks and working on getting new Fleet Admirals. However, he did not want me to remove any of the Fleet Admirals even though they had more then clearly left and/or did nothing to live up to their responsabilities.

I got in an argument after giving some constructive criticism to our web admin and he shut down the site. Next thing I new I was banned from the website. All my articles and tutorials were gone and my reputation was being tarnished with nothing I could do.

A normal person would probably quit playing sto. but I stuck it out and eventually by pure chance came across a fleet who based their ranks on trust and contribution.

I wouldn't wish this on anyone. No one deserves to spend six months working on something to have it flushed. Therefore I say that when you join a fleet give it time before you contribute. The biggest red flag is if they pressure you to contribute before you are ready. It's easier and better if you just leave in that case then it Is to fold to the pressure and contribute.

This article is a little heads up for you new guys. Make sure you choose the right fleet or it might just cost you dearly like it costed me....
Post edited by koflanm on

Comments

• vieth1vieth1 Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'll bet it feels good to get that off your chest. I'm sure a lot of reading your post have an experience like that in some form.

Live and learn. You sound much happier now...best of luck to you.
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Indeed. There are a lot of people in fleets out there who have to have their little 'power bases' where they rule.

An unfortunate truth about most MMOs.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • shar487ashar487a Member Posts: 1,292 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I joined my current fleet completely by accident. I had just disbanded from a small fleet after getting into an argument about how bad the Gal-X was implemented. The fleet leader wouldn't hear any of it, so I apologized for causing a ruckus, then promptly disbanded. Then I get another invite thinking it was for a quick Capture and Hold team, not realizing it was a fleet invite. The fleet members basically said stick around and see if you like us, and if you don't, you're free to disband whenever you want.

Three years later, I'm still with that happy bunch. They're easy going, cracking jokes and stories over Vent / TS all the time, hosting several pod casts and web shows, and organizing fleet events every so often. Members come and go, but there are enough dedicated core players to keep things interesting.

There are many fleets out there without any ego stroking nor power-mongering requirements... just have to take some time looking for them.
  • elemberq333elemberq333 Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The fleet I am in is flourishing and there seems to be an almost constant influx of new members.

The problem we are running into at the moment is that our Starbase is working on Tier 5, the Dilithium Mine just recently reached tier 3, and our Embassy is working on tier 3.

So everything is almost completed and I am hoping season 8 launches before it all completes because even now new members are finding it difficult to be able to contribute to fleet projects before they are completed and hence earn no fleet credits and can not shop at the fleet vendors.

So the new holding in the Dyson Sphere is really needed in my fleet and the sooner the better and I actually wish it had 5 tiers instead of just 3.