test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Trait: Situational Awareness

zordar01zordar01 Member Posts: 318
"This trait causes all of your Grenade powers to expose their targets for up to 7 seconds."

That's the trait description. It doesn't mention chance, instead stating matter-of-factly that grenades will now expose targets. However, that's not how it's working. It exposes about 30% of the time, if that. When it does expose everything hit with the grenade it's fantastic.

Anyone else having this issue or am I reading something into it that I shouldn't (that it's an auto-expose)?
Star Trek: Online - Now with 100% more dinosaurs!!
Post edited by zordar01 on

Comments

• zordar01zordar01 Member Posts: 318
    edited October 2013
    zordar01 wrote: »
    "This trait causes all of your Grenade powers to expose their targets for up to 7 seconds."

That's the trait description. It doesn't mention chance, instead stating matter-of-factly that grenades will now expose targets. However, that's not how it's working. It exposes about 30% of the time, if that. When it does expose everything hit with the grenade it's fantastic.

Anyone else having this issue or am I reading something into it that I shouldn't (that it's an auto-expose)?

So no one has taken this trait? Wow, maybe I need to respec...
  • asraschaalasraschaal Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I haven't done a lot of testing with it but I have seen the same results that you are seeing. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.
  • defalusdefalus Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=688641
    Ground - Situational Awareness:

All of your Grenade powers now have a 25% chance to expose their target in addition to their normal effects.

That's back from LoR release notes and as far as I'm aware it hasn't changed since. Personally I never use situational awareness on my tacs but I do use the double chance to expose armory doff, maybe it and this trait would go well together?

"Last Engage! Magical Girl Origami-san" is in print! Now with three times more rainbows.

Support the "Armored Unicorn" vehicle initiative today!

Thanks for Harajuku. Now let's get a real "Magical Girl" costume!
  • eisenw0lfeisenw0lf Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    So no one has taken this trait? Wow, maybe I need to respec...

I had this trait for a while on one character and removed it. It's not worth it. The expose gets almost always applied after a grenade is thrown, but I never seen it active for more than 2 seconds. The expose is always gone before the throwing animation is finished, which makes it impossible to exploit.
    edited October 2013
    asraschaal wrote: »
    I haven't done a lot of testing with it but I have seen the same results that you are seeing. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

Glad I'm not crazy (regarding this, anyway).

defalus wrote: »
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=688641

That's back from LoR release notes and as far as I'm aware it hasn't changed since. Personally I never use situational awareness on my tacs but I do use the double chance to expose armory doff, maybe it and this trait would go well together?

Well, that explains a lot. It would be nice if the text of the trait itself said that. Why the obfuscation? Why not just say 25% chance to expose? It's not a good sign when you have to compare the release notes against the in-game text to see what's been left out of the in-game text...

I'll check out the armory doff before respeccing and see if that makes this trait worth the slot.

khayuung wrote: »
    I have it, but I so rarely fight on ground maps I don't really know if its working.

You are, apparently, not missing much. :(

eisenw0lf wrote: »
    I had this trait for a while on one character and removed it. It's not worth it. The expose gets almost always applied after a grenade is thrown, but I never seen it active for more than 2 seconds. The expose is always gone before the throwing animation is finished, which makes it impossible to exploit.

Yeah, it's totally not worth it as it is. I'll try the armory doff tonight and report back.
  • defalusdefalus Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Yeah, it's totally not worth it as it is. I'll try the armory doff tonight and report back.

I was just thinking about this thread after I realized that the doff I use was a tribble test reward for season 5: http://sto.gamepedia.com/Automated_Personnel_Unit_%28Fed%29

Not sure if another doff with this roster ability exists or not so apologies if I mislead you on this.
    I was just thinking about this thread after I realized that the doff I use was a tribble test reward for season 5: http://sto.gamepedia.com/Automated_Personnel_Unit_%28Fed%29

Not sure if another doff with this roster ability exists or not so apologies if I mislead you on this.

It's all good. I have that one unlocked. Of course, I had forgotten about the tribble test rewards so I hadn't claimed them on this particular character, so thank you for reminding me. :)

And there are no other doffs that modify expose chance that I could find.
    edited October 2013
    Yeah, the Situational Awareness trait is nigh worthless. Even with double the expose rate from the tribble test reward doff it still wasn't triggering often enough to make it reliably useful. Target optics seemed to be getting more exposes than Situational Awareness.

Incoming respec in 3, 2, 1...
  • khayuungkhayuung Member Posts: 1,876 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I wonder what cheap trait I can buy to respec my traits this time... :P

"Last Engage! Magical Girl Origami-san" is in print! Now with three times more rainbows.

Support the "Armored Unicorn" vehicle initiative today!

Thanks for Harajuku. Now let's get a real "Magical Girl" costume!