test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Fleet Asset and Small Fleets

2»

Comments

• rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Solution: Stop trying to be a single player fleet. its pretty dang obvious that fleets are meant to be leveled up by more than a few people. From what I can tell, a healthy minimum figure is more like 25-30 rather than say 10.

Divided up, 25+ can knock out even the upgrades quickly. Anything less and youre getting into the need for dozens of alt farmers.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Stop being a single player fleet is not my concern. The provisions are an issue. They are even an issue in larger fleets as it allows room for leechers. There are people who donate to get fleet credit and then do not buy fleet provisions expecting some one else to do it as it is a cost to themselves. You have to spend resources you earn (fleet credit) on something that offers no returns and does not show up on the leaderboard allowing them to get away with it.
  • jetwtfjetwtf Member Posts: 1,207
    edited October 2013
    robdmc wrote: »
    Stop being a single player fleet is not my concern. The provisions are an issue. They are even an issue in larger fleets as it allows room for leechers. There are people who donate to get fleet credit and then do not buy fleet provisions expecting some one else to do it as it is a cost to themselves. You have to spend resources you earn (fleet credit) on something that offers no returns and does not show up on the leaderboard allowing them to get away with it.

1-2 provisions per player is all thats needed and is cheaper than someone buying a couple consumeables. Do they have a return? yes they do, the project gets rolling because you donated to it. Should the provisions be in the game? No they shouldnt but thats a different issue altogether.

If you have leeches not donating even if they are quite capable of donating then remove rights to buy anything until they start donating. let them all know they are expected to make 1 or 2 provisions. tell those that usualy make them all to not until it is nearly filled or just to make the 1-2. It will fill when nobody can buy anything and notice is given as to why. If nobody fills the project then rethink recruiting practices or what fleetmates you have.
    "I'm drunk, whats your excuse for being an idiot?" - Unknown drunk man. :eek:
    edited October 2013
    jetwtf wrote: »
    Should the provisions be in the game? No they shouldnt but thats a different issue altogether.
    That is what I'm trying to get at.
    If you have leeches not donating even if they are quite capable of donating then remove rights to buy anything until they start donating. let them all know they are expected to make 1 or 2 provisions. tell those that usualy make them all to not until it is nearly filled or just to make the 1-2. It will fill when nobody can buy anything and notice is given as to why. If nobody fills the project then rethink recruiting practices or what fleetmates you have.

I am imagining the parents dilemma when they have more then one kid and asking them who did it. now times that by 100 and that is a fleet. Because you cannot see who donated the provisions you cannot know who did or did not contribute. It has no impact on the leader board.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    simeion1 wrote: »
    Cryptic has heard it all. The problem lies on making it fair for all and also make it where it could not be exploited. We have to face it, Cryptic is in it to make money. They have to in order to provide new content and other things. We need to produce ideas instead of complaining about what is wrong. I know it gets expensive, I personally have given my fleet almost 800k dilithium in the last month for projects. That is the reason I suggest the fleet projects should be based off fleet size over the last year with a bare minimum and maximum limits.

Complaining about it will never fix anything, we need to offer Crytpic a solution.

Oh you are very much wrong, you have to complain to get things fixed. The more players, the more of a priority they make an attempt to fix.. Else, they think everything is status quo.

And you talk about them making money? Then you would think it would be in their own interest to support small fleets who have to BUY Dilithium, since they don't have the earning potential of that of Large Fleets?

But because smaller fleets are giving up on progressing, that means less Dilithium is being spent on these Fleet Projects, which means that earning potential is now GONE.

bpharma wrote: »
    Sorry but I gotta say it.

The fleet star base system was not designed for 5 players to hit T3 on everything and T5 in the starbase easily or even in the same time as with 400 people.

Fleets existed long before Cryptic implemented the Starbase system, where there were large fleets that liked to socialize and there were small fleets of close friends.

So if they designed the Starbase system for large fleets, then they deliberately flipped off small fleets knowing they will be crushed. There is a reason why people don't like large fleets, and Cryptic didn't respect that.

Now, many small fleets have died because people left the game due to burnout or left for large fleets because they wanted gear. So is it our (small fleet's) fault? NO! It's PWI!

Solution: Stop trying to be a single player fleet. its pretty dang obvious that fleets are meant to be leveled up by more than a few people. From what I can tell, a healthy minimum figure is more like 25-30 rather than say 10.

Divided up, 25+ can knock out even the upgrades quickly. Anything less and youre getting into the need for dozens of alt farmers.

Shouldn't matter if people want to solo fleets are not. There are those who don't like the overdrama of Large fleets. That's why small fleets exist.
    edited October 2013
    If you want to get people to complain you might want to point out the irony that this is helping large fleets out more then small fleet. They say the mine discounts is to help small fleets. Lets look at some examples.

Upgrade Trade Facilities III
    10,500 Fleet Marks
    750,000 Refined dilithium icon.png
    1,000 Common Duty Officers
    1,000,000 Expertise icon.png
    15,600 [Industrial Replicators]
    500 [Dilithium Mine Provisions]

Upgrade Development Facilities III
    10,500 Fleet Marks
    12,480 [Seismic Stabilizers]

Upgrade Dilithium Mine III
    35,000 Fleet Marks
    25,000,000 Expertise icon.png
    700 Common Duty Officers
    14,200 [Seismic Stabilizers]
    13,500 [Self-Sealing Stem Bolts]
    6,000 [Dilithium Mine Provisions]

While I would be able to do the t3 mine upgrade I will not be able to do both Trade/Development Facilities 3 upgrade that need to be done first. Only the large fleets will be able to utilize this. This is going to widen the gap as I try to upgrade the spire holdings. I will have to stop after a full t2 mine.

Again this mine is helping larger fleets more then small fleets and is widening the gap on progress.
  • havamhavam Member Posts: 1,735 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    If you want to get people to complain you might want to point out the irony that this is helping large fleets out more then small fleet. They say the mine discounts is to help small fleets. Lets look at some examples.

Upgrade Trade Facilities III
    10,500 Fleet Marks
    15,600 [Industrial Replicators]

Upgrade Development Facilities III
    10,500 Fleet Marks
    12,480 [Seismic Stabilizers]

Upgrade Dilithium Mine III
    35,000 Fleet Marks
    25,000,000 Expertise icon.png
    700 Common Duty Officers
    14,200 [Seismic Stabilizers]
    13,500 [Self-Sealing Stem Bolts]
    6,000 [Dilithium Mine Provisions]

While I would be able to do the t3 mine upgrade I will not be able to do both Trade/Development Facilities 3 upgrade that need to be done first. Only the large fleets will be able to utilize this. This is going to widen the gap as I try to upgrade the spire holdings. I will have to stop after a full t2 mine.

Again this mine is helping larger fleets more then small fleets and is widening the gap on progress.

what gap? you mean not having access to fleet ships, elite shields, elite disruptors, Embassy and dil mine consoles, elite pets and an active roster doff less will put you at a disadvantage??

It could be worse, they might decide to nerf the elite stuff, once the big boys had enough time to play with them, and prevent mudflation taking over....oh noes
    edited October 2013
    havam wrote: »
    what gap?

The gape is not just about the gear. All 3 T3 upgrade projects give an additional discount on fleet mark dilithium and commodities that stacks with t2 and t1 discounts. That means they will be able to donate less to future fleet holding then a smaller fleets. they will donate less to t1 spire when compared to small fleets.

If you want to go the gear route then lets look at it this way. That dilithium discount also get applied to rep store. The Romulan plasma weapons are cheaper for them even though I have the same Romulan rep as them.

lets look at gear in game. Here the t3 upgrade project is still in progress on the lest side and the t2 upgrade is in progress on the right. Even though the access is the same it is cheaper the higher you go. that is 1 tier apart.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    lets look at gear in game. Here the t3 upgrade project is still in progress on the lest side and the t2 upgrade is in progress on the right. Even though the access is the same it is cheaper the higher you go. that is 1 tier apart.

It is cheaper because the fleet ran the Dilithium Store Discount upgrade project not because the Mine is Tier 2 or Tier 3. The Mine upgrade project just reduces the cost for dilithium inputs for Fleet Holdings.
  • voyagerfan9751voyagerfan9751 Member Posts: 1,120 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Shouldn't matter if people want to solo fleets are not. There are those who don't like the overdrama of Large fleets. That's why small fleets exist.

Cryptic has said, FROM THE BEGINNING, this is the trade off for smaller fleets. There just isn't a system that allows a fleet of 5-10 people, especially casual players to reasonably level up a fleet base, that doesn't either make it a cakewalk for larger fleets. Or has some fleets dismissing virtually their entire roster in order to get smaller inputs for project so they can have all the choice items.

Cryptic has tried to help smaller fleets in many ways, but the fact is that if you insist on having a fleet of less then 25 people, you are going to struggle. Instead of berating Cryptic and calling them liars, why not think about the whole picture and come up with an idea which can help small fleets make things manageable, while at the same time isn't exploitable and doesn't negatively effect larger fleets.
  • hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Allow dilithium and Fleet marks to be traded, so you can buy stacks of them on the exchange. There's your fix for small fleets.
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!
  • tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    i am not sure why so many fleets are having a problem. i am in a small fleet and we manage to pretty much keep our projects in constant cd. this fleet was founded at the LoR launch and currently is t4 with both the mine and the embassy completely finished. why arent other small fleets able to do this?
    i think the real problem is that the owners of these fleets are either incapable or unwilling to contribute to the degree that is necessary. if a fleet is going to power forward there needs to be at least one person (normally an owner) that is willing and able to fill all the dil requirements and use that fleet credit to fill all the doffs. if you are waiting for your handful of mates to get this done it is no wonder you are moving at a pace akin to continental drift.

and making it easier? there have already been adjustments made to make things easier and cheaper. do you know the joy of spending tens of millions of ec on romulan ale and dosi for the bartender project? do you experience the pleasure of spending 1 million ec on each and every green doff and having to donate them one at a time? i have had to do that! believe me, you have it easy now days. leveling a base is a breeze if somebody in the fleet is willing to tackle the dil and doffs. and if nobody is able to do that, bring in somebody that is and give them an interest in your fleet. otherwise just accept that this is the price you pay for having a small 'casual' fleet.

and if you do make some scaling system where 10 man fleets have to put in little effort to make great achievements, guess what? i will exploit that til the end!
  • bpharmabpharma Member Posts: 2,022
    edited October 2013
    Oh don't even remind me of those dark days of star base levelling, spent millions on that flipping bartender which someone slotted by mistake.

As it is now it's easy mode, I already said that it is not designed for 5 people to have an easy time doing it because it needs to be some challenge for larger fleets.

Also cane we please stop this small fleet snobbery that's going on? You might call mine large at 400 but I tell you, everyone knows each other an we have a really good mature community, no BS, no drama and you rarely see us in pugs because we play with each other.

If you're in a small fleet and you want the best shinies then join NoP public and ask for a base invite, you won't get the higher tier ships but everything else will be available if you have provisions.

Another thing you can do is ask a larger fleet for assistance with the marks, everyone in a larger fleet would jump at the chance get easy credits if you had trouble with marks. Also discount commodity brokers and other things, don't treat large fleets with such scorn and maybe something can be worked out to benefit everyone.

It is through repetition that we learn our weakness.
    A master with a stone is better than a novice with a sword.

Has damage got out of control?
    This is the last thing I will post.
  • elessymelessym Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    reximuz wrote: »
    They haven't scaled them because then they would be exploitable. This has been explained ad nauseum.

It can be made non-exploitable. I have explained how ad nauseum.
    Cryptic has said, FROM THE BEGINNING, this is the trade off for smaller fleets. There just isn't a system that allows a fleet of 5-10 people, especially casual players to reasonably level up a fleet base, that doesn't either make it a cakewalk for larger fleets. Or has some fleets dismissing virtually their entire roster in order to get smaller inputs for project so they can have all the choice items.

Of course there is. Cryptic just doesn't feel like doing it.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • margus3margus3 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    What i can tell guys i can agree with ideas what someone posted i think minimum each fleet active 30 good members who want contribute spend each month like some sum euros for dil contributing doffs dosent gome problem to get tier 5 quick you maybe build sb 10 months and all other holdings quick. Just this additional holding slow down little sb progress.

In our fleet have 3 good who reached 10mil contributings ppl who contribute all the time doffs etc. Most in fleet donate 2 -3 members only doffs. but i can tell tier 4 is easy pain start if you want to get tier 5 its not simple you need 150 1k projects its means 50 projects more then you made sb to tier 4 in small fleet its come problem because 3 projects slots and if you not want wait you needed fill these each day. its mean around 300-400 doffs each day depends if you want get military faster to tier 5 you needed run 2 militay project operational military assets and practice tactical etc and one engineering construction.

Mos ppl waiting most tier 5 ships not elite phasers from engineering or from sci elite hangar prets.

How grind fast like dilmine or embassy its easy just try do focus only like trade run one 1.2k and 500 xp project same catecory its mean you have all the time upgrade slot active and there is no waiting for construction xp project. One category completes then start other. But todo this needed fill everything each day same category. Thats how other fleets do that to get something faster. Some big fleets not do any provisions before for tier 3 construction projects. Its cut weeks then other fleets. So after tier 2 you have time do provisions. But most stuff worth to get is after tier 2 of mine or embassy.

Yo may do full tier 3 dilmine or embassy in 4 months you neede also organise who work only in sb who work embassy only who only in dilmine you needed make teams who do only one job in one holding. Ppl needed work just for keep it going every day.
    edited October 2013
    They really do need to do something. I'm hearing that some Tier 5 fleets actually have Mule Fleets so they could earn Fleet Credits.

I mean come on Cryptic, if there are small fleets that are hurting and here you got Tier 5 fleets taking up your precious server space, why couldn't you just make an Fleet Alliance system that allows the Tier 5 fleets to donate their Marks in turn for Credits? Both sides win out, they get their creds and the Small Fleet gets to advance.
  • jivedutchjivedutch Member Posts: 357 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Cryptic has tried to help smaller fleets in many ways, but the fact is that if you insist on having a fleet of less then 25 people, you are going to struggle.

THIS is basicly from the start the issue ....

It was clear from the start , and has been willingly accepted by anybody who starts building a fleet , the fleet base & holdings system came to GIVE the community something to really build with eachother ... over a prolonged period of time.

STOP treating it as some sort of instant gratification item and truly look at what it is.

Now i must admit my own fleet(s) are borderline on the 25 daily active members ... and have just now started running the T4 upgrades on the starbase, with the final T3 embassy upgrades waiting for the dilmine T3 discounts to kick in (in about a month orso) .....

We have also been the victim of the purple requirements for projects, the millions in dosi & ale ... and some other hard to find commodities, and the dil-requirements on the upgrades is also proving slow to fill up ... (and no, i dont think a fleet owner should be responsible to fill all the dili by paying for it himself) .....

We are a proud fleet, and when the discussion came on who would want to "visit" other fleets for T5 ships, almost all of them choose to wait it out instead untill we have our own.

We share the burden of high cost projects, with "slower" progress than we would like ...

While we are also burdened by the outrageous dilithium costs involved, we have taken the conscious decision a year ago, to stick it out and build our own .. when it became clearer how long it was going to take.

Any fleet that takes the same conscious decision to do it with just 5 of them, did just that ...
    Make a conscious decision to build it like that ... nobody forced u to do it that way, it was a choice.

That being said ... i do believe that the system could be improved in quite a few ways ...
    - Remove or lower the time gates on projects that have been around for long.
    - Give us more projects that are dilithium free ....
    - Give us at least some merit-return on the project provisions, even the doffs give some in return.
    - Give us some investment return on the spent dilithium for fleet items .... usable only holdings projects ......
    Why are we paying dilithium for the upgrades, dilithium for the provisions, and dilithium for the items in the shops ..... in all honesty, it makes no sense to require dilithium in provisioning, while u also pay dilithium for the items ......
    Dilithium free provisioning ..... PLEASE
    edited October 2013
    i am not sure why so many fleets are having a problem. i am in a small fleet and we manage to pretty much keep our projects in constant cd. this fleet was founded at the LoR launch and currently is t4 with both the mine and the embassy completely finished. why arent other small fleets able to do this?
    i think the real problem is that the owners of these fleets are either incapable or unwilling to contribute to the degree that is necessary. if a fleet is going to power forward there needs to be at least one person (normally an owner) that is willing and able to fill all the dil requirements and use that fleet credit to fill all the doffs. if you are waiting for your handful of mates to get this done it is no wonder you are moving at a pace akin to continental drift.

and making it easier? there have already been adjustments made to make things easier and cheaper. do you know the joy of spending tens of millions of ec on romulan ale and dosi for the bartender project? do you experience the pleasure of spending 1 million ec on each and every green doff and having to donate them one at a time? i have had to do that! believe me, you have it easy now days. leveling a base is a breeze if somebody in the fleet is willing to tackle the dil and doffs. and if nobody is able to do that, bring in somebody that is and give them an interest in your fleet. otherwise just accept that this is the price you pay for having a small 'casual' fleet.

and if you do make some scaling system where 10 man fleets have to put in little effort to make great achievements, guess what? i will exploit that til the end!

Not everyone are in hardcore fleets.

And yes, I spent time gathering Dosi Rottgut and Romulan Ale before LoR, and honestly still got that in the fleet bank.

Not to mention right now it's impossible to work on my Klingon Fleet since people are gone and the Fleet Event queues are dead, even during the Fleet Mark Event. (Defera very rarely have KDF teams, I've spent hours waiting and never able to get 3 people to do the Hards).

Frankly, people are just tired of Fleet holdings and some of us are left holding the bag. We either stick to our guns and keep trying or abandon our hard work and join the Zerg Army (join a Large Fleet) and hope we can get stuff.
    edited October 2013
    Frankly, people are just tired of Fleet holdings and some of us are left holding the bag. We either stick to our guns and keep trying or abandon our hard work and join the Zerg Army (join a Large Fleet) and hope we can get stuff.

I think every one is tired of the grind. We need a season with no new fleet holding and rep. Just to give use time to breath. Maybe even get caught up a bit. I know a few people who are in larger fleets and even some of them are tired of this.

I know the fleet holdings are considered a success but if you want to maintain people in the long run you cant keep making new holding and rep. we need new systems. The doff system was a success but they never added or improved on it in a while. PvP is in need of a revamp and crafting is dead.

Holdings feels stale and over done.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I think every one is tired of the grind. We need a season with no new fleet holding and rep. Just to give use time to breath. Maybe even get caught up a bit. I know a few people who are in larger fleets and even some of them are tired of this.

I know the fleet holdings are considered a success but if you want to maintain people in the long run you cant keep making new holding and rep. we need new systems. The doff system was a success but they never added or improved on it in a while. PvP is in need of a revamp and crafting is dead.

Holdings feels stale and over done.
    Maybe a new crafting rep system? :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    deokkent wrote: »
    I'm not naive enough to believe cryptic wants small fleets to proliferate. Everything in the game is working against small fleets. Any chances of small fleets surviving now is that the roster is made up of family members, real life friends etc...

I'm very lucky to be part of my fed fleet, it's small but it's with good people.
    Well, when they introduced fleet holdings they were very clear. Holdings are balanced with the idea that the fleet has at least 20 people.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg