test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Bursty Cruiser Suggestions

sloniahsloniah Member Posts: 16 Arc User
edited October 2013 in Federation Discussion
SO with the advent of the Avenger and withe my recent aquisition of a D'kora I'm looking to top out my burt potential should I ever get foolish enough to go into PvP as a Fed Engineer.

Now I'm Noctorious amongst my friends as being tanky as hell but if STO is ANYTHING like any other MMO in PvP burst is king.

At the moment I've got access to Teir 4 Romulan and Omega reputation and Teir 3 Nukara. For the sake of this experiment I'd like to use the D'kora for the platform. I have the Ferengi Maurader set but I expect it will only hold the ship back for the purpose of pur burst.

My current concept for the weapons is:

1x Quantum Torpedo or Omega Torpedo
2x Romulan Plasma Dual Heavy Canons
1x Romulan Plasma Dual Beam Bank
3x Romulan Plasma Turret
1x Kinetic cutting beam

For Bridge Officers

Ensign Tactical
- Tactical Team I

Lt. Commander Tactical
- Beam Array: Overload I
- Cannon Rapid Fire I
- Torpedo High Yeild III

Commander Engineer
- Emergency Power to Shields I
- Auxillary Power to Battery I
- Emergency Power to Weapons III
- Directed energy Modulation III

Leutenant Engineer
- Emergency Power to Sheilds I (Yes, I know the overlapping cooldowns on E.P. to X)
- Auxillary Power to Battery I

Leutenant Science
- Polarize Hull I
- Hazard Emitters II

Add a Stack of batteries to yout devices and you can pop back up to full weapons power after that beast of a hit from Beam Overload.

With 6 ranks in energy and projectile weapons tac-team and the Dkora's Battle Modual thats 84 + 30 + 10 = 124 Weapons skill. I know I can easily get well over the 125 weapons power cap with the univeral consoles and skills (altho I've heard rumors about 125 not being the actual cap). So as it sits I'm pretty confident that IF you can get lined up on some one this thing would ruin anything unfortunate enough to be in the line of fire.

I think that for most use this is simply unrealistic but for the sake of argument I'd like to entertain this idea for a while as a Theoretical Experiment.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• unboundinfernounboundinferno Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    STO is the typical MMO in PvP as burst is king, but you'll need to shift a hare on the plan.

Only two weapon styles are used mainly in PvP, and that is the DHC/Turret with *maybe* a Dual Beam Bank. That isn't required however, as the question isn't exactly pure burst damage, but more of timing. The Torpedoes? Probably better off leaving those in PvE.

The game has the built-in flaw of a 'downtime' for defensive skills, and the goal is to hit the downtime on your target with the highest DPS possible to kill it. Torpedoes, especially the Omega or Plasma are near dirt-useless in PvP as they can easily be shot down wasting potential damage. Others like Quants can be good, but the timing during that downtime can be tricky for the travel to the target.

The use of DBB and BO I to speed it up can help, but you'll need Marion to make use of the Weapon Power resistance on the first 6 seconds of DEM during that, or the Beam Overload just shoots your DPS down the drain with the power level. If you got, or can get that pricey DOFF you'r set with a DBB and BO I.

Otherwise 5x DHC and 3x Turrets could be plenty with EPW III, DEM III, CRF (or CSV) I, APB II - so long as the spike is timed well.