What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Legacy of Romulus Dev Blog #48

Comments

• Options
    reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,172 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    It was made for the updated Federation tutorial. The current plan is that this bridge will become the new default bridge for Fed ships (that don't have custom ones).

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Praise the maker, the old default bridge was terrible. It made me wonder if whoever designed it ever saw a Star Trek bridge before. The bridge stations are off to the side, the view screen is at a strange angle... Its just all around bad.

The new bridge looks like it will be pretty nice.
  • Options
    talzerotwotalzerotwo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    koppenflak wrote: »

OH MY HOLY TRIBBLE. O_O Now that is a Federation Bridge :D. (still holding out for sulu's excelsior bridge) but yes, Ku-Dos :). It will go nicely on my fleet excelsior

Edit: I cant help but feel there should be "watch your step" tapes along the bridge stair cases, ship shudders = many bridge officers rolling down them steps lol
    [SIGPIC]http://tinyurl.com/msywqm5[/SIGPIC]
    Chillax. No Ego. No Drama.

Like my alien? Watch THE VIDEO
    Need custom graphics for you or your fleet? Click HERE
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    dahminus wrote: »
    yreodred is just so better to the design but he wants the stats
    Whats so wrong about wanting a good looking ship with good stats?
    It's only Crpyitcs strange concept that good looking Starfleet ships have to suck, while the ugly ones get the good stats.

They did a good job in making alternative ship designs for the Vesta, why is that not possible for the Avenger?

talzerotwo wrote: »

OH MY HOLY TRIBBLE. O_O Now that is a Federation Bridge :D. (still holding out for sulu's excelsior bridge) but yes, Ku-Dos :). It will go nicely on my fleet excelsior
    I'm really impressed by that bridge.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    kalvorax#3775 kalvorax Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    talzerotwo wrote: »

Edit: I cant help but feel there should be "watch your step" tapes along the bridge stair cases, ship shudders = many bridge officers rolling down them steps lol

WHOA is right...that is a SWEET bridge......cryptic

PLEASE PLEASE Add it into one of the bridge packs...pr even a new bridge pack :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I find this line of replies sadly hilarious. We put a lot of work into the massive list of fixes/changes above, and ya'll are hung up on the ability to skip our content. =p
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    westx211 wrote: »
    Its not supposed to be aesthetically pleasing its supposed to be functional but as far as I can tell the general consensus is that people like the design.
    Most players would fly a steamy pile of dung if it had better stats than any other ship.
    It's not functional it just plain ugly, if that Cryptics idea of how their future designs look like, i am off.

And they're not going to add something to where you basically can just turn off what the ship looks like so don't ask.
    Why?
    Crpytic could sell much more ships than now. Ppl would buy ships just to get their hands on a certain BOFF/Console layout and would again buy ships because of their appearance.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
  • Options
    rickeyredshirtrickeyredshirt Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Not impressed by the looks of this ship. It looks like it comes from a game based on Star Trek but not from Star Trek itself. There are other canon ships that still haven't been released, where are those?
  • Options
    captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Have they stated whether or not the VATA is targetable by enemies?
    I would imagine so, it's a torpedo ultimately.

It's based off of thesentient torpedo from the Voyager episode Warhead.
    reximuz wrote: »
    Praise the maker, the old default bridge was terrible. It made me wonder if whoever designed it ever saw a Star Trek bridge before. The bridge stations are off to the side, the view screen is at a strange angle... Its just all around bad.

The new bridge looks like it will be pretty nice.

I think there was actually a bridge like that for another ship on Next Generation. But certainly not one of the great bridges that allows a Captain equal access to all bridge stations.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    theultimatextheultimatex Member Posts: 489 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Can we say "over powered" dread naught?
  • Options
    turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Yep.

And with 2500 Zen, we can then say "MY overpowered dreadnought".
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    The thing that gets me upset about the Avenger is that it is exactly the ship i have been looking for all the time. Strong tactical BOFF layout, Starfleet ship (of course), DHCs, turnrate not too high, actually the perfect ship for my playstyle.
    With a bit of fine tuning this ship can become exactly what i was wanting for two years.

But as always Cryptics "designers" killed it again, by not giving that ship enough alternatives (like the vesta has for example) to make it look good, or at least enough alternative ship parts to make it look acceptable at least.

A tale of two Picards
  • Options
    westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,247 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    yreodred wrote: »
    The thing that gets me upset about the Avenger is that it is exactly the ship i have been looking for all the time. Strong tactical BOFF layout, Starfleet ship (of course), DHCs, turnrate not too high, actually the perfect ship for my playstyle.
    With a bit of fine tuning this ship can become exactly what i was wanting for two years.

But as always Cryptics "designers" killed it again, by not giving that ship enough alternatives (like the vesta has for example) to make it look good, or at least enough alternative ship parts to make it look acceptable at least.

That is your opinion they "killed" it fo you some of us actually like its design.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    That is your opinion they "killed" it fo you some of us actually like its design.

I didn't say any other thing.

Why do you think i was even wanting to speak for you or anyone else? :confused:

I know my question to pwebranflakes won't get answered i still would like to know if that ship will get some alternative ship parts or not.
    (unlike the Odyssey which was assured to get alternative parts but didnt)

A tale of two Picards
  • Options
    westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,247 Arc User
    edited October 2013

I know my question to pwebranflakes won't get answered i still would like to know if that ship will get some alternative ship parts or not.
    (unlike the Odyssey which was assured to get alternative parts but didnt)

Sorry I guess I misunderstood your post but you should try and say "it ruined it for me" next time so some ppl don't get confused.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • Options
    newromulan1newromulan1 Member Posts: 2,229
    edited October 2013

Why not just charge you 3500 zen and give you a Galaxy- X class skin with it?:P
  • Options
    turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Stupid curiousity question;

The blog shows an "Avenger Class Starship Development Project" assignment patch... what are the chances of us seeing this on a banner hanging in Utopia Planitia come next First Contact Day?
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options
    warpedcorewarpedcore Member Posts: 362 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Not to be a jerk or anything, but 2500 Zen isn't exactly pocket change. Not in this economy. For this amount of money you'd think we would get the whole package deal. Or at least able to use the Odyssey class bridge with the new ship. Honestly, the Odyssey is your best interior work to date.
  • Options
    blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Whats so wrong about wanting a good looking ship with good stats?
    It's only Crpyitcs strange concept that good looking Starfleet ships have to suck, while the ugly ones get the good stats.

They did a good job in making alternative ship designs for the Vesta, why is that not possible for the Avenger?

I'm really impressed by that bridge.
    Nothing is wrong with it, but the Avenger isn't a bad looking ship. You might think it is a bad looking ship, but all in all, that's just your opinion. Other people feel differently...

The reason why they did it for the Vesta is because the Vesta is a three-pack ship set. The Avenger is not a three-pack ship. It's a single ship, and the look that they have for it is going to stay. The only change will be when you get the Fleet Version because that has some different customization options.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • Options
    denizenvidenizenvi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    first of all, there are only phaser arrays, arrays dont come in other flavors, thats an sto thing.

Not really. The technical manuals you love referencing also specify different types of phaser weapons, of varying mks. The top-level arrays were mk X for starships, and lower mks were different versions suitable for different sized platforms, down to personal phasers. However, specifications for the Enterprise-E included mention of mk XII arrays, so it's likely Federation technology developed new types of arrays, perhaps ones that could cram more power into a smaller emitter strip. It's not a given that a design rule from the 2360's has to stay unvarying for the next half century, especially when ships and the phasers on them underwent so much change in design in response to the emerging threats (also see the defiant).
    Take a look at my Foundry missions!

Conjoined
    , Re-emergence, and . . .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    longasclongasc Member Posts: 490
    edited October 2013
    I cannot help but this setup - lots of Tac Consoles, high turnrate and excellent inertia plus 5 front firing cannons - really screams "KDF Battle Cruiser".

Yeah, it feels more KDF to me than the lumbering hulk called Bortas(qu), which packs great firepower but in a conventional 4/4 setup, bad inertia and bad turnrate.

-> this is also why many KDF fans feel this ship is a slight by Cryptic. The KDF ship got pushed back to 2014, but this ship mimics a Klingon BC, but on steroids with cake and cookies.

I really love KDF ship designs and the tutorial and revamps for the KDF truly show that Cryptic cares for Klingons, so I am rarely in the KDF got shafted/is the Horde of STO boat and rather disagree with this sentiment.

To put it bluntly, I can totally understand the cry for a similar KDF Battle Cruiser, as this Battle Cruiser outclasses KDF Battlecruisers in their (DH)Cannon Cruiser role. Heck, inertia and turnrate are on par and in case of inertia even much better.
  • Options
    longasclongasc Member Posts: 490
    edited October 2013
    Regarding Beam Array shape and specifications, STO already broke other "rules" like "Nacelles must see each other" to generate the warp field (this was the lore reason for the odd shape of the Enterprise Nacelles and also why D'Deridex Warbirds had the hole in the center, to allow the Nacelles to "see" each other) and so on.

I am all for taking liberties when it adds to gameplay, but some more respect to Trek tech and lore would really enhance the experience for Trekkies and those who might become fans through STO. It is not as if it would be impossible for artists to do that or too much limiting them.
  • Options
    mosul33mosul33 Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Well, i'll give you that, this is a new record, a nerf even before official release, from 700 crew and 1.21 shield mod to 500 crew and 1.1 shield mod for fleet version. Old record was 3-4 days after release a release. But i guess it may not be over yet lol.
    Its really sad that a few players, wich most play KDF anyway, manage to ruin it for the majority of fed players. And even more sad that the fed players cant see this. Probably they had a good laugh sliping this nerf so easy. But no matter, the ship suck with or without the nerf and its barely on par with KDF battlecruisers no matter how much propaganda they will do. And to think i've see, in-game, someone calling this aka fed engie scimitar lol.

A reduction in hull wouldve been way better and the 1.2 mod to be left alone thus it wouldve made good synergy with the Command ? Shield Frequency Modulation for shield tanking.

So thanks but no thanks, i'll pass this one, for the above thing and the fact that it looks ugly, at least to me. It seems Cryptic's latest designs on fed ships favor forward swept nacell pylons and a "ridged" back and neck, like the Regent, wich i am not to fond of them. I wish they wouldve include along with the ones on fleet version, at least some backward swept pylons and a smooth back/neck, much like the Sovereign. Also it seems there is some armor animations that goes on and off upon entering or exiting combat. I hate the flip-flops on BoPs so i wouldnt like this new feature aswell, since i doubt there will be a switch on/off option to turn it off. I just hope future ships wont have this thing.

Ohh and kudos for that new fed bridge, really looks awesome.
  • Options
    kalvorax#3775 kalvorax Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    mosul33 wrote: »
    Well, i'll give you that, this is a new record, a nerf even before official release, from 700 crew and 1.21 shield mod to 500 crew and 1.1 shield mod for fleet version. Old record was 3-4 days after release a release. But i guess it may not be over yet lol.
    Its really sad that a few players, wich most play KDF anyway, manage to ruin it for the majority of fed players. And even more sad that the fed players cant see this. Probably they had a good laugh sliping this nerf so easy. But no matter, the ship suck with or without the nerf and its barely on par with KDF battlecruisers no matter how much propaganda they will do. And to think i've see, in-game, someone calling this aka fed engie scimitar lol.

A reduction in hull wouldve been way better and the 1.2 mod to be left alone thus it wouldve made good synergy with the Command ? Shield Frequency Modulation for shield tanking.

So thanks but no thanks, i'll pass this one, for the above thing and the fact that it looks ugly, at least to me. It seems Cryptic's latest designs on fed ships favor forward swept nacell pylons and a "ridged" back and neck, like the Regent, wich i am not to fond of them. I wish they wouldve include along with the ones on fleet version, at least some backward swept pylons and a smooth back/neck, much like the Sovereign. Also it seems there is some armor animations that goes on and off upon entering or exiting combat. I hate the flip-flops on BoPs so i wouldnt like this new feature aswell, since i doubt there will be a switch on/off option to turn it off. I just hope future ships wont have this thing.

Ohh and kudos for that new fed bridge, really looks awesome.

*sigh* not a nerf as the ship isnt even out yet...its called changes based on feedback

i remember seeing some posts saying that (as its a battleCRUISER) (just go search for it...im not bothering) its shield mod was to high....and i agree.

that being said....I'll give it a week or less before cries of OP/Nerf it to the ground start.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I find this line of replies sadly hilarious. We put a lot of work into the massive list of fixes/changes above, and ya'll are hung up on the ability to skip our content. =p
  • Options
    smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Agree that the shield mod of 1.21 was far too high. 1.1 brings it in line with the existing Federation fleet cruisers, including the tanky Support and Star.

Crew is such a badly broken mechanic that who cares about a drop. It is a small ship anyway, and should have lower than average crew for a Fed Cruiser.
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • Options
    dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    mrtshead wrote: »
    I flat disagree with basically all of this. For starters, can we please stop spreading the nonsense that mass=durability=power? That correlation is simply not true - in fact, it is typically the opposite of the truth in modern engineering - yes, you can put a larger engine/reactor/whatever on a larger chassis, but it's not necessarily efficient to do so, especially if you are talking about different vessels with wildly different design goals, etc. In addition, the durability of a ship depends not merely on its size or mass, but also on the internal configuration of space, bulkheads, etc. Similarly, armor effectiveness is not merely a function of mass or thickness, but also of materials, shape, and again the internal configuration of the thing being protected. In Star Trek, the problem is even worse, as there are so many 'unknowns' in the engineering given the technobabble and unobtainium used in the show that making suppositions about what's "really" true is futile at best.

theres no modern day analogy you can try to make that proves your opinion on starship durability. these are statships, they are all the same thing, they all have the same components, they all get upgraded heavily so tech gaps are always short, they are all the same, save for configurations favoring tactical or exploration or what have you. the only true difference is scale.

if theres any question of big ship raw damage soak and durability, look at the oddyssey battle. all anyone seems to remember is the cheep shot that finished it off, but before that it hull tanked those bug ships for at least 10 minutes, and then when it was time to go, it turned around and started to leave under its own power. those ships were barely able to damage the odyssey at all. same ting in generations, the bop was pounding on the enterprise but it took only very minor superficial damage, save for one o those 2 torps triggering a reactor failior.

Okuda's tech manual is a prime example of this, because the bit about the phaser arrays makes absolutely no sense at all. Transferring the energy from one emitter to the next would only ever serve to bleed off some of the energy and make the final beam weaker than if that same amount of energy were simply dumped through the single firing emitter without the silly transfers. Even if the transfers were 100% efficient, that would at best mean the power stayed the same (but we know they're not 100% efficient, because the travelling 'glow' represents at least a minor energy bleed).

they arent using copper wires, they are using plasma magnetically contained in a conduit. bleed? clearly not much, at doesn't take many watts to create light like that, and the heat is magnetically contained. its the 24th century, they dont got to explain TRIBBLE. it works the way they outlined, period. it makes sense considering thier tech, you just dont like it. go ahead and come up with an explanation that makes more sense.
    The only way what we see in the shows would make the phasers stronger is if the emitters were, themselves, generating the power and handing it off down the line, but that's not how they are described, and that still doesn't preclude getting more power from a shorter array by simply giving the array more power directly from the ship's core.

it is described that each emitter holds its own energy, and is its own capacitor. that is why they are able to hand it off. they dont generate it, but theres a large EPS trunk every ~10 or so emitters, and from there each emitter gets piped its own power. with such an unrestricted flow of plasma, its easy to see why they have the rate of fire that they do. they can only pass down what they first store per shot, they cant store an unlimited amount, thats why the more emitters hooked together the better. thats why smaller arrays cant compete, and we know they cant compete because they are never used if a larger array has a shot.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Not impressed by the looks of this ship. It looks like it comes from a game based on Star Trek but not from Star Trek itself. There are other canon ships that still haven't been released, where are those?

There are hardly any canon ships left, and the ones that are all all kitbashes of destroyed ships.

That said, I support a Yeager class variant for the Avenger, just because all the whiners deserve the very best.
  • Options
    revyremirevyremi Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    nice to see the kdf finaly getting some ships.

good work cryptic nice to see the KDF is not being ignored again.
  • Options
    edited October 2013

You have railed so heavily against the ship's aesthetics, and how terrible Cryptic and its designers are, how else is anyone suppose to take that?

I can get being disappointed, I don't think either of their 2409 redux designs for the Akira quite hit the mark of the essence of that ship, and I said as much here, but I never responded with the level of unmitigated rage you have displayed over the issue.

The only person I think I have ever seen freak out more over a ship was that guy who about had a coronary over the Odyssey. That guy was pretty wound up, claiming it was the doom of the game and some other dire predictions. I don't think I have seen him post in forever, I hope he didn't kill himself over it. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    revyremi wrote: »
    nice to see the kdf finaly getting some ships.

good work cryptic nice to see the KDF is not being ignored again.

KDF doesn't seem to want ships, Cryptic added a bunch, hardly anyone purchased them. And then of course the KDF whine that its because their faction is so small. Then the even smaller Romulan faction comes out and the Scimitar is the best selling ship of all time, so that blows that out of the water.
  • Options
    burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Well this is pure bull...a fleet varient too, just to rub salt in the gaping wound

And yet they cannot be arsed to finish the kdf ship that was half done even before this was concieved?

..really?

Then to top it off, it has cloaking capability AND this VATA weapon that seems to be an untargettable force multiplier (all other force mulipliers (pets, kumari wing cannons, holoships, sattelites) can be destroyed)?

...and lets not forget - yet another 5 fore weapon ship for the feds while the kdf are waiting for even one?

I'm beginning to think us KDF need to boycott pvp/kerrat - if the fed pvp whales who buy this stuff have nothing to shoot, Cryptic would have to get off its fed-pampering backside and introduce a modicum of ship balance to the proceedings to get us back there