test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Ships in game not designed right?

gt86gt86 Member Posts: 52 Arc User
I found some interesting info on Ships from Star Trek today and it showed me they aren't designed right in STO. At least when it comes to weapons, they don't have the right amount of weapons equipped on them in STO. Here's a prime example

2363: U.S.S. ENTERPRISE

REGISTRY: NCC-1701-D
CLASS: GALAXY CLASS
CONSTRUCTED: UTOPIA PLANITIA FLEET YARDS
LAUNCHED: 2363
DESTROYED: 2371
LENGTH: 641 METERS
DECKS: 42
CREW: 1,012
TOP SPEED: WARP 9.6 (SUSTAINED)
WEAPONRY: 12 TYPE X PHASER ARRAYS
3 PHOTON TORPEDO LAUNCHERS

CAPTAINS: Jean-Luc Picard, Edward Jellico
Post edited by gt86 on

Comments

• Options
    thecoffinflythecoffinfly Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    For gameplay purposes, the weapons complement has had to be downsized.
    It'd be absurd to have that many weapons per ship.
  • Options
    captainkeatzcaptainkeatz Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited October 2013
  • Options
    misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Somthing like this would only make sense of the weapon mounts had limited firing arcs and there were different types of torpedoes.
    For example the Galaxy only has 3 torpedo launchers in seperated mode, the 3rd is actually in the saucer section aiming backwards. In connected mode it's right above the battle bridge and can't fire.
    Also the Galaxy has the ability to fire up to 10 torpedoes in a single salvoe or at once like a shotgun at one or different targets. So the launcher hardpoint would have different maximum launcher size than on for example the Intreprid, which has 4 launchers but we've only ever seen her fire 2 torpedoes per launcher at once.
    So while this sound nice in theory, it would make the game more complicated than most people would be comfortable with.
  • Options
    bodigerbodiger Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    i think it would be awesome to have neros ship, what did it have like 50 disruptor banks and like 500 launchers??? just kidding
  • Options
    thecoffinflythecoffinfly Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The Narada was ridiculous.
  • Options
    unit750unit750 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    While it does say the canon galaxy has 12 arrays, It's still somewhat represented in the game, as most of the phaser strips are there, and depending on the angle you are firing at, your single phaser array represents probably 2-4 strips.

My biggest problem with it all though is that if you fit multiple arrays, they all fire off the same strip, which looks pretty bad. It would be nice if it used those other strips when multiple arrays are fitted.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Here's my theory: Show me an episode of TNG where they used all 12 Phaser Arrays at once and I'll argue the game should have them too. Whereas I can show you millions of examples where the Galaxy in the game uses all 8 of its weapons slots at once. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    gt86 wrote: »
    I found some interesting info on Ships from Star Trek today and it showed me they aren't designed right in STO. At least when it comes to weapons, they don't have the right amount of weapons equipped on them in STO. Here's a prime example

2363: U.S.S. ENTERPRISE

REGISTRY: NCC-1701-D
    CLASS: GALAXY CLASS
    CONSTRUCTED: UTOPIA PLANITIA FLEET YARDS
    LAUNCHED: 2363
    DESTROYED: 2371
    LENGTH: 641 METERS
    DECKS: 42
    CREW: 1,012
    TOP SPEED: WARP 9.6 (SUSTAINED)
    WEAPONRY: 12 TYPE X PHASER ARRAYS
    3 PHOTON TORPEDO LAUNCHERS

CAPTAINS: Jean-Luc Picard, Edward Jellico

Yes, stated weapons layout from canon on ships.... I drive a scimitar, are you sure you want that?
  • Options
    sonnikkusonnikku Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    OP has a point. Also my Scimitar should have 52 disruptor bays and 27 torpedoes tubes, for reasons. :)
  • Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    sonnikku wrote: »
    OP has a point. Also my Scimitar should have 52 disruptor bays and 27 torpedoes tubes, for reasons. :)

As well as a perfect cloak with the ability to fire through it indefinitely.... and if the fedies don't happen to have an empathic half-betazoid counselor who had been recently mentally rapped with the aid of the Scimitar's Reman first officer... that's their problem.
  • Options
    misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    sonnikku wrote: »

The big joke of that particular ship is that it probably never fired 52 disruptor shots in the movie altogether...meaning they all have a rate of fire of what?...once very 10 minutes or so?

Another good example would be the comparatively small Vor'cha which has, according to verious sources some 18 disruptor banks. Even if we count DCs as two that would still mean a layout of for example 6 DCs and 6 turrets.
  • Options
    jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited October 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Here's my theory: Show me an episode of TNG where they used all 12 Phaser Arrays at once and I'll argue the game should have them too. Whereas I can show you millions of examples where the Galaxy in the game uses all 8 of its weapons slots at once. :)

Watch the second encounter the Enterprise D had with the Borg where Picard tells the borg He has new weapons and defenses Thats a good show of a lot of firepower from the galaxy class
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse