test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Something missing, especially from the foundry.

kharonsoremankharonsoreman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
In this, the age of 4th and 5th generation mmorpgs, how is STO missing simple in map character trans-locations without zoning? other games have been doing it for years! and with a "transporter" system built right into the base storyline of the game it really just seems like something that could be utilized quite well by creative mission designers. Since it was not implemented from the beta I am guessing it is something the engine is incapable of?

I know there is short burst jump effects in space, but no triggered site to site events either ground or space I can remember without a loading screen.:eek:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
A wolf remains a wolf, even if it has not eaten your sheep.
Post edited by kharonsoreman on

Comments

• azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    There are a couple of creative Foundry map authors who have noticed this and created transition-less maps. Typically this is used with transporters, turbolifts, or as holograms.

And STO has transitonless maps like the Player Ship Interiors and Starbase interiors. Now why they don't do that with normal maps is because there is a lot of data with the maps itself such as different terrain, buildings, and other assets. So it's far more economical to have a loading map.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    this feature DOES exist in the NeverWinter foundry and may be ported to STO in the near future.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • kharonsoremankharonsoreman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    There are a couple of creative Foundry map authors who have noticed this and created transition-less maps. Typically this is used with transporters, turbolifts, or as holograms.

And STO has transitonless maps like the Player Ship Interiors and Starbase interiors. Now why they don't do that with normal maps is because there is a lot of data with the maps itself such as different terrain, buildings, and other assets. So it's far more economical to have a loading map.

Going from deck to deck on ships and bases still loads, as does going to Quarks and Ops on DS9 from the promenade.

this feature DOES exist in the NeverWinter foundry and may be ported to STO in the near future.

I hope so, I really do could add some depth to ground missions if used well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    A wolf remains a wolf, even if it has not eaten your sheep.
  • walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Agree with this. I think branching stories and conditional text for dialogues is also needed.
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • tonyalmeida2tonyalmeida2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'm a vice admiral, if I want to be transported from the exchange to the bank instead of walking then I should be able to.
    pvp = small package